AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
23,256 Posts
Maybe because it's BS? If you don't like the results from your "investment", return it and get your money back.

·
Registered
5,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary cornell /forum/post/20813529

How many hrs. does it need? Have been using it for a few days and so far it doesn't seem to improve or even change the sound.

I bet if you call the chief engineer there, Chris Russell and ask, he will tell you that 'burn in' is nonsense.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary cornell /forum/post/20813529

How many hrs. does it need? Have been using it for a few days and so far it doesn't seem to improve or even change the sound.

You need to leave it on for 67,542 hours at full clipping into your most expensive speakers whilst leaving them wrapped in a hand loomed alpaca wool blanket.

After that hook the amp up to your Polk RTi 12's and they will no longer sound sibilant with that amp.

·
Registered
9,908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeLopez11
The burn in of electronic components is just a gimmick some audio equipment manufacturers use to promote their products.
Most importantly, it gets them past the usual 30 day return period.

·
Registered
15,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary cornell
Ok, had my doubts about burn in. Feeding Marantz BD8002 and laptop to the Bryston. Don't hear improved audio, my question now - is this a bogus product?
IIRC, it's technically very good but that doesn't mean it's better than whatever you're using now even though it may spec out better.

·
Registered
9,908 Posts
Quote:
my question now - is this a bogus product?
Bryston manufacture excellent gear, thet will meet or exceed it specs for decades, and is well made and reliable and they will back it up for a long time, with by all accounts, excellent service. I think it looks classy too.

Could you have got the same audio performance for less? Yes, but overall and long term, Bryston is very good value in high end audio.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My dealer told me it would have more detail and dynamics. I'm just puzzled, i switch the Up-Sample on and off and there is no change. Anybody here own this DAC to offer first hand experience?

·
Registered
9,908 Posts
Quote:
My dealer told me it would have more detail and dynamics. I'm just puzzled
Wasn't he trying to sell you something?

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not at the risk of losing me as a customer, 30 years. He offered to let me borrow the Cambrigde DacMagic to see if it made a difference - with Parasound JC2 and JC1's i opted for the Bryston, no demo to borrow but i can return it. Soon my dealer will be coming over with a preloaded stick of high resolution files he's loaded for me from his collection. My thinking is going forward the Bryston will be a nice addition as i transition into the world of high resolution files.

·
Registered
31,189 Posts
Quote:
Have been using it for a few days and so far it doesn't seem to improve or even change the sound.
Give it time. Burn-in takes a while, but it is well worth it. At some point the electronic parts will alter their sound, changing towards your personal preference. At some later point, those parts will stop changing, typically when you think it sounds best. It is remarkable what modern hardware can do these days. So don't lose patience.

·
Registered
9,908 Posts
Quote:
Not at the risk of losing me as a customer, 30 years. He offered to let me borrow the Cambrigde DacMagic to see if it made a difference - with Parasound JC2 and JC1's i opted for the Bryston, no demo to borrow but i can return it. Soon my dealer will be coming over with a preloaded stick of high resolution files he's loaded for me from his collection. My thinking is going forward the Bryston will be a nice addition as i transition into the world of high resolution files.
There's no risk on his part. Without blind level matched tests you are most likely to choose the one you think will be best. And as that is obviously the Bryston in your mind as it matches the Parasound gear better (in whatever mystical way) than the mid-fi Dacmagic, then surely, left to your own devices, you will choose whatever you want anyway and that will most liekly be the Bryston. You're able to return the Bryston in the odd chance you choose not to keep it, so it will be no loss to them either way.

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
Unfortunately, this is one of those components that benefits from lengthy burn-in. It needs to be in clean air, however, preferably dry and thin, to help bolster the warmth of the electronics. It's a bit of a pain for me, but since my house does sit at 7500' in the Colorado Rockies, send it to me for a couple of years and I will burn it in for you. As soon as all the bad sounds are burned out I will ship it back.

Cordially yours,

Don

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Quote:
My thinking is going forward the Bryston will be a nice addition as i transition into the world of high resolution files.
Stop thinking since it's only going to cost you more $$ then you most likely need to spend.

Don't think. Level match, throw a towel over the BDA and another competent DAC and use your ears.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I tryed the PS Audio Digital Link lll and DacMagic before obtaining the BDA-1. Listened to the Marantz BD8002 straight to the JC2 as well as with the DACs in an A/B by switching imputs on the JC2. Volume levels were the same so it was easy to judge, no DAC improved the CD audio.

·
Registered
9,908 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary cornell /forum/post/20815971

I tryed the PS Audio Digital Link lll and DacMagic before obtaining the BDA-1. Listened to the Marantz BD8002 straight to the JC2 as well as with the DACs in an A/B by switching imputs on the JC2. Volume levels were the same so it was easy to judge, no DAC improved the CD audio.

Sorry, that doesn't mean levels were the same. Different DACs whether stand alone of integrated into a CDP can and do have differing output levels. No one have ever really stuck to the original RBCD standard of 0dBFS = 2Vrms and when comparing, very small volume differences alone can be the cause of purported differences between units.

That said, if you couldn't hear a difference between them, then the reason for going for the more expensive unit does not relate to it's sonics.

I'm not having a dig, you have been far more honest and forthright than the majority of audiophiles could ever dream of being.

1 - 20 of 156 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.