Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, everyone. :)

A question about power amplifiers.

I am currently deadlocked between buying a "Bryston 3BST" and a "Musical Fidelity A3 CR".

They both are 2 channel 120W @ 8 ohms.

I believe, they are about the same price. My main speakers are B&W CDM 7NT and using DENON AVR-5800 to drive them.

I do really want to get a Bryston 4BST, but.. this baby is way out of my budget. :(

And....ah I would love to believe that sonic performance would be improve a lot, going from AVR-5800 to A3 CR or 3BST for my main speakers.

Which one should I buy to drive my CDM 7NT ? Bryston 3BST or Musical Fidelity A3 CR.

Any info, comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks. :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by mfombellida
If you are in England, do yourself a favour and listen to a Chord amp (the SPM600 for example): have a look to http://195.40.133.90/website/main-products.htm

The Chord amps sound very good with B&W. I am using one with my N805: wonderful.

Michel
Thanks for the reply. :)

I will indeed consider Chord.

Which model are you using with n805 ?

Thanks

·
Registered
240 Posts
Eric,

I haven't listened to any products from Musical Fidelity so I can't comment on the sound, but if you use specifications as a guideline you wouldn't even give the Musical Fidelity amp a second look compared to a 3BST. They aren't even in the same league.

I own a few Bryston amps (see my profile) and can comment that they are extremely good amplifiers with a warranty to die for. Twenty years parts and labour is a real long time.

The 3BST is actually under rated in its specs. There isn't a 3BST out there that is less than 150 watts per channel and that's with distortion

If you look at the specs on the Musical Fidelity amp you'll see they spec its output at 0.5% distortion. This is a bit of a trick to be able to make the 120 watt claim. They are also "A" weighting a lot of their specs to make them more presentable. A lot of people don't put to much faith in specifications - well, that's their loss.

The Bryston also has balanced inputs. I think at this level of product, it's something your going to want. The Musical Fidelity doesn't seem to have them.

What does the 3BST sound like? Well, with distortion at 106dB below rated output with a damping factor over 500, it simply outputs exactly what you put into it without alteration.

That, and a 20 year warranty. I'll let you decide......

brucek

·
Registered
646 Posts
London78,

I am using the SPA1032 which is in fact the Pro version of the 1200. The only difference is XLR input only (no RCA) and fans (that I disconnected). I had the opportunity to make a very good deal on this one which is mainly the reason why I selected it: 2x285W is more than I actually needed but why not :)

I compared it (in my setup) to the TAG 100xR5 and the Bryston 9B ST (both multichannel amps) and prefered the Chord.

Michel

·
Premium Member
2,468 Posts
Gee, that is a tough call.

I am very familiar with Bryston gear (4B-ST, 7B-ST ), and Bruce's comments are exactly what I would say. Here in Canada, used Bryston's are plentiful and $cheap. If you really want a 4B-ST, do look for used offerings at Audiogon where you can get one for

That said, I really really like the A3-CR amp too. It is dead quiet, offering crystal clear sound. Do they sell $cheaper in the UK then here in North America ? I was trying to buy 2 of these last week for me second system, but was not quick enough with my offer.

I do not have any hands-on experience with Chord product.

However, at the Toronto Audio Show this weekend, I thought the the best sound came from a small all-Chord system driving Splendor mid-size speaker. And also the Bryston room running the 14B-ST and BIG PMC speakers ( big Volt woofer ) was also very good.

A tough call indeed !

- Andy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.