AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a pre/pro, and have narrowed it down to these two. The AVM-20 seems to offer more for your money (in terms of features, anyway.) But is this a case of "less is more"? Does the lack of video switching/multi zone and other features translate into the Bryston sounding better or being easier to use? Can owners of the SP-1 who compared it to the Bryston (and vice versa) give their opinions?

Thanks

·
Registered
360 Posts
Well having a boat load of features isn't always guaranteeing a good product! Look at all the cheap recievers with tons of useless DSP modes! Ultimately it will come down to what YOU need in a pre-pro. If video switching, mutli room zoning are important then choose one with those features. Did you investigate the TAG AV32R EX?

To ME video switching is for the lazy-asses of the world!! How many damm video units do you REALLY have that you can't take the 4 SECONDS and change the input setup on your TV?????:)

I have heard both units and I would buy the Bryston hands down. It has an incredible analog pre-amp section, does 5.1 sources very well, has THX Ultra 2, and a 20 year warranty!! Now the Anthem is a really good unit too BUT the Bryston fits MY needs better.

Good Luck

Mike

·
Registered
703 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Michael7272
Well having a boat load of features isn't always guaranteeing a good product! Look at all the cheap recievers with tons of useless DSP modes! Ultimately it will come down to what YOU need in a pre-pro. If video switching, mutli room zoning are important then choose one with those features. Did you investigate the TAG AV32R EX?

To ME video switching is for the lazy-asses of the world!! How many damm video units do you REALLY have that you can't take the 4 SECONDS and change the input setup on your TV?????:)

I have heard both units and I would buy the Bryston hands down. It has an incredible analog pre-amp section, does 5.1 sources very well, has THX Ultra 2, and a 20 year warranty!! Now the Anthem is a really good unit too BUT the Bryston fits MY needs better.

Good Luck

Mike
Video switching is NOT for lazy-asses..I have 2 compent inputs on my TV. I need 3...what do I do. Get up and pull the plugs every time I want to watch a DVD...give me a break.

I would not compare the Anthem to a cheap reciever either. Its competition is right where you are looking. The Bryston, Integra, and a few others.

I have not heard the Bryston, but from what I know they make, it is most likely a better 2 channel unit than the Anthem. It all comes down to what you need.

If you are more than 50% 2 channel or should I say analog now, go with the Bryston, but if you do alot of movies/surround and need the video switching (which is awsome in the Anthem - very clean) and other NICE (note - not usless to all) features of the Anthem get it.

I have Niles equpiment for two zones and the Anthem works great with it. I use all 3 12 volt triggers, both component inputs on it. I use the simulcast feature (for watching one input and listening to another) all the time too. I set up a nice page in my ProntoPro for doing this feature becuase its not the best interface. If I did not want all these features I might have something else, like a Krell (Bryston was not out yet when I bought it) but I do want and USE these features.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Fitsman,

Drink another cup of coffee and relax!!!!! I was not personally attacking YOU! Re-Read my quote especially that part "To ME......" translated "personal opinion"!

As for your need to have 3 Component Video source input then that is YOUR need but outside of DVD players I can not think of another video source that uses Comp. Video. LD and VCR's use either S-Video or composite inputs....unless you have 3 DVD players???? Anyway..... The multiple DSP reference was not a slam on the Anthem for I stated the unit was a "very good unit", I was referring to the sole fact of multiple DSP's doesn't guarantee a good product.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Well, in MY system, using an Audio Refinement CD Complete as the source, I found that the system's overall sound using the AVM-20's analog bypass mode much more to my liking compared to using the CDP with the Bryston BP-25, which the SP-1/SP1.7's analog section is suppose to be based on. It wasn't even close, with the only area that the Bryston was (slightly) better in was bass slam.

"The multiple DSP reference was not a slam on the Anthem for I stated the unit was a "very good unit", I was referring to the sole fact of multiple DSP's doesn't guarantee a good product."

I believe that the SP1.7 and the AVM-20 (when it gets its DPL II/DTS-ES upgrade) will have a similar number of DSP modes, at least that is what I recall during my investigation of the SP-1/SP1.7 earlier this year.

Michael

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the responses so far. I don't need my pre/pro to do video switching, my 55" Mits has more than enough for my needs. I don't need multi zone either. I'm starting to like the idea of the Bryston more and more...especially paired with their 9B SST 5 channel amp.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Quote:
I can not think of another video source that uses Comp. Video.
DVD-Recorders?

Xbox?

Gamecube?

PS2?

BTW, what does the Bryston sell for -street price?

·
Registered
726 Posts
Since my TV has sufficient ports for video switching, I was considering the SP1.7. But then I found out the MSRP. SP1.7 ~$4300US; AVM20 ~$3200US. I just wish the AVM20 dropped the video stuff and sold for several hundred less. So why not buy the AVM20; it adds a tuner, XLR connections for all 7 channels. The Bryston S/N spec is better though. By the way, I own a AVM2.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm leaning towards the Bryston because I can get it for dealer cost, about $2800 - which prices it pretty close to the AVM-20.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Michael7272
Fitsman,

Drink another cup of coffee and relax!!!!! I was not personally attacking YOU! Re-Read my quote especially that part "To ME......" translated "personal opinion"!

First off I don't drink coffee, never liked it...I get my caffeine from MT DEW!

I did see the To ME part, it was the part were you said you think its for lazy asses. It is your personal opinion, but MY personal opinion differs from that. It was also your poor choice words ...as in "lazy-asses" ...that urked me. As you can plainly see there are MANY MANY people who need more component inputs on their systems other than me. Most new sets have plenty of svideo, but most do not have enough component inputs, especially some of the higher end front projectors. And in those cases even if they have two, do you really want to run two very long and very expensive runs of component cables to them?

IMO, component switching is a much have in most home theaters, and its defiantly NOT for lazy-asses.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by TL5
I'm leaning towards the Bryston because I can get it for dealer cost, about $2800 - which prices it pretty close to the AVM-20.
This would make the decision really tough for me. By the way, the AVM2 is very easy to setup and use; I would expect the Bryston to be similar.

Tuner? Bryston no. AVM20 yes.

XLR connection all outputs? Bryston 5 only. AVM20 yes.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I realize the AVM-20 has a tuner and the Bryston doesn't. They feel video switching introduces distortion and alters the noise floor; so I wouldn't expect them to include a tuner.

I know feature for feature the AVM-20 seems to offer more, but in the Bryston's favor are the separate power supplies for analog and digital, the 20 year warranty, etc.

In one review I read on the AVM-20, they compare the sound quality of it to the B&K Reference 30. Not taking anything away from the B&K or Anthem, I was hoping the Bryston "took it up a notch" from them being it's missing a few of their features.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Quote:
the 20 year warranty
If I was buying an amp, or speakers, this would be a huge feature. However, how many people on this board are going to keep a surround processor for 2 years? Let alone 20.

I have an Anthem. I absolutely love this piece. If the Bryston is that much better in two channel mode, then your hearing is better than mine because two channel is sweet on this unit.

Both pieces I'm sure are incredible. I wouldn't sell the Anthem short in audio performance. Try to demo it in your own home before making blanket assumptions about it's shortcomings in analog reproduction.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.