AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just was at the Toronto Audio & Home Theatre Show - a small event.

I did have a good chat with James Tanner - he is always great to talk to.

The PowerPac 250 is now shipping.

Also, the 14B-ST, 6B-ST, and PP-250 use some new Motorola outpout devices that give them a slight sonic edge over the previous ST crop.

He indicated that the SP-1 will have an update availalbe within a couple of months. There will be 7.1 outputs, with the 2 extra channels being RCA outputs only - no Balanced. There will also be a 5.1 analog input. I forgot to ask (duh?) if they will include DPL2 but I will assume so. These options were going to be very reasonably priced, but I will refrain from saying in case I am wrong. He grabbed the SP-1 and showed my how the new outputs and inputs will be oriented via a new back-panel.

Gee, now I am goinng to have to put the SP-1 on my audition list.

- Andy

·
Registered
330 Posts
Thanks for the update. I have been putting off a SP-1 purchase due to the lack of 5.1 inputs. Glad to see it's in the works. Regards, Pete

·
Registered
240 Posts
Andy,

Yes, from discussion with James, he says the upgrade also includes DPLII.

The upgrade mod will wholesale change the front panel, back panel and the digital board .

The 7.1 will simply use the two back channel RCA outputs for the extra two outputs required.

I guess the rear panel must be changed to accommodate the 5.1 input and the front panel must be changed to accept the new buttons required for the new features.

I'm particularly interested in the 5.1 bypass. Since the two channel bypass is so well done using essentially a BP25 analog preamp - will the 5.1 route the two front channels through the existing analog preamp and then route the remaining channels through a lesser quality analog route? Makes me curious...

brucek

·
Registered
240 Posts
Andy,

I asked James for all the changes in the upgrade and he didn't mention any DAC change. I guess they are sticking with their reasoning that the DVD Video industry standard is 5.1/48K/24bit and that there isn't enough audio 96K material to make the change.

Since SACD/DVD-A output is analog, I guess they felt there was no reason for a DAC change.

brucek

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.