AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
You have to decide which features work for you on each; of course the Bryston does not switch video or on-screen display - a big shortcoming for many, though they do sell a separate matching switcher. I have had the SP-1 and the MC-8 and both were comparable for digital surround sound quality, with the Lex having more flexibility and the Bryston maybe having superior channel separation and a little lower noise floor. But if analog throughput is important for your music the Bryston wins hands down, though it is possible the MC-12 may be a little better there than the MC-8. There is also a huge difference in cost of course, and the Bryston has the 20 year no worry warranty. The biggest dislike on the Bryston for me is the lack of OSD and the hard-to-read front display. I wasn't crazy about the remote either, though it is bullet-proof (literally).

Dsmith

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
DSmith

The remote on the SP1 was a thin plastic thing. The remote on the SP 1.7 is made out of machined aluminum. Even the buttons are metal. It also lights up when you pick it up. It is a different beast altogether.

I'm probably in the minority here but I like the lack of OSD. I prefer using the built in LCD this way I don't need to have a monitor whether it be a TV, projector etc on to make setting changes. I used to own an Acurus ACT 3 and even though it did video switching, Acurus's belief was that adding OSD to the video signal would degrade the signal.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.