AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is just about to drive me nuts. I just got Witcher from Gamersgate a couple of days ago to use it as a test (or just to gain some experience with making quality settings), and my computer would do nothing but flat out crash (not bsod at this point).

I figured my drives or registry must have got corrupted, so I did a clean install from an image file. Once I had it back up I ran the Windows Experience Index for the performance rating. I ran it maybe about 5 times and each time it would crash when it was rating the disc performance. So I sat outside Best Buy for about half a hour until it opened and bought a new hard drive (WD Caviar Blue 320 GB, good enough for now until I have the money for an SSD) which I promptly installed.

Once I had the operating system installed I ran the index again and it still crashed. So I changed where I was outputting on the back of the PSU and was able to run the full index. Put the other drive back in (mainly because my image file wouldn't load onto the 320 GB, the original was a 750 GB and I wanted to be able to keep my copy-rited cable recordings) to see if it would work and still a no go on it. Anyway I spent about 12 hours yesterday re-installing programs and testing out various connections only to find out that now I have BSOD.

My computer looks like this:

Asus Rampage II Extreme

I-7 960

HD 4850

12 GB DDR 1033

Ultra 850 W PSU

Ceton Cable Card Tuner

1 WD Caviar Blue 320 GB

4 WD Caviar Green 2TB

Blu Ray/HD DVD Burner

Cooler Master V-8

Supreme FX Audio Card

Could BSOD be caused by a faulty power supply? Is this enough power for now? I am planning on upgrading soon to a Corsair 1200W, just don't have the money now.

Everything I saw on BSOD mentioned drivers or a bad registry, but I just did a clean install, downloaded Windows updates (and that took about forever) and loaded up some programs. I haven't been on the net until now and haven't downloaded anything (had to create a new image file first).

My programs:

Eac3to

TS Muxer

MSI Afterburner

GPU Tool

GPU Z

Haali Mastroka

Adobe Reader & Flash

Total Media Theatre 3

Ceton Corp file (for cable card)

PS3 Media Server (+ Java)

Lexmark Printer

Office 95 (works for me)

Any DVD

ATI Drivers

Real Tek Drivers (couldn't get the right audio format without this)

Are this last two not playing nice together?

Sorry about this post being so long, but I'm going on 2 days now working on this problem and I am desperate. Does anyone have a clue as to where I could look?

Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
First thing I would do is check Reliability Monitor and read through the Problem Reports. Just last month I was able to remedy a BSOD problem by using these reports to point me at a network driver problem.

If they don't reveal anything I'd run some serious Memtest . A ram stick may be bad and this program will give you a pretty definitive answer.

Let us know if you discover anything new.

Also, I'm assuming you're running Win 7, although I don't see it specifically mentioned.

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
It could be the power supply (it has enough power, but it could be faulty), it could be a device's drivers or it could be one or more sticks of RAM. These are the most common causes for BSOD.

Without knowing the messages that the BSOD screen is displaying, I would try different RAM configurations. Assuming you have three sticks of 4GB, I would try just one stick at a time and see if you can replicate the problem.

Edit: Try Memtest just as Sorax recommended.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorax /forum/post/20846952

First thing I would do is check Reliability Monitor and read through the Problem Reports. Just last month I was able to remedy a BSOD problem by using these reports to point me at a network driver problem.

Well I checked that and it's not showing anything other than unexpected shutdowns. I am running Windows 7, also running Microsoft Security Essentials.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I've had the computer just randomly shut down (not too often, could go a week or two or more) so I ran the memory thru memtest and it checked out fine (although that was probably at least 6 months ago). At that time (when I ran the memory test) I formatted my boot drive and ran an extensive chkdsk on it (still no problem). The CPU's temps and voltages were all good, so that left me looking at the power supply or the mother board (really don't think it was this, all I've read on this is it is almost never this). That's kind of why I'm wondering now about the PSU.

I'll go ahead and run another memtest on it, but I'm thinking if that doesn't show anything I might have to take it back to scratch. Just do a a format and clean install of the operating system with no updates (at least at first, might need some ATI drivers), then load up the game and see if it will run. If it runs that should tell me if there is a driver or registry from somewhere else that is causing the problem. If it runs then I can just start adding stuff slowly back in while creating restore points all along the way.

However if it still BSOD's, wouldn't that say I have a hardware problem somewhere (whether PSU or GPU).

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmith83 /forum/post/20846960

Without knowing the messages that the BSOD screen is displaying, I would try different RAM configurations.

It appears to be a pretty generic message, like what I've seen in online photos. However the technical info is Stop: 0x000000F4 (0x0000000000000003, 0xFFFFFA800D875A20, (didn't quite get all this one) 0xFFFFFA800D875, 0xFFFFF8000378C8B0

Thanks to all of you for your help.

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
I'm not sure, but some aspects of that error code could very well be indicative of a hard drive related crash.

Make sure you have the latest BIOS and chipset drivers for your motherboard. Are all of your hard drives internally installed and configured for AHCI in the BIOS?

Another thing to try is to connect the primary hard drive to separate power connectors in order to see if there are some voltage issues with some of the power supply's connectors.

Aside from that, I would definitely try using one stick of RAM at a time. If the problem persists, uninstall one device driver at a time, starting with the tuner card (these devices have some of the buggiest drivers).

·
Registered
8,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcmo /forum/post/20846893

Once I had the operating system installed I ran the index again and it still crashed. So I changed where I was outputting on the back of the PSU and was able to run the full index. Put the other drive back in (mainly because my image file wouldn't load onto the 320 GB, the original was a 750 GB and I wanted to be able to keep my copy-rited cable recordings) to see if it would work and still a no go on it. Anyway I spent about 12 hours yesterday re-installing programs and testing out various connections only to find out that now I have BSOD.

I just re-read this part.

So, in the case of one particular drive, Windows' WEI test consistently gave you a crash until you changed the power supply connector you used for the primary hard drive? If so, it definitely looks like a power supply issue. But, I would further build on this finding to know with near certainty.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay I got the bios updated, changed the drives over to AHCI (was set to IDE), and updated the chipset. How do I know that the chipsets firmware changed, I can't find anywhere in the bios or in CPU Z the firmware version unless it is the revision # in CPU Z (I hope not as that didn't change).

On Asus's website they had another download:

Intel(R) Matrix Storage Manager Driver V8.9.0.1023 for Windows 32/64bit XP & Windows 32/64bit Vista & 32/64bit Windows 7.(WHQL)

Intel(R) AHCI/RAID Driver Disk for Windows 32/64bit XP & Windows 32/64bit Vista & 32/64bit Windows 7.

Should I run this even though I've made the other changes, or would this interfere with what has already been done?

On a side note I received Witcher 2 yesterday. After installing it I played on it for about 10 minutes to see if I would get the same problem. I experienced no issues with it, although it was a really short test sample. However I then went into Witcher and didn't even get past the option menus.

I know the computer has some issues which I will check into further, but I'm wondering if Witcher had some corrupt files in it. I downloaded it but had to stop in the middle of it. Not only did I stop but I called Comcast and changed internet speeds because it was way too slow. I've uninstalled the game and am getting ready to do a new download and see how things go from there.

Later I will begin another memtest, thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
The "AHCI/RAID Driver Disk" appears to be for installing the relevant drivers prior to fully installing Windows, which shouldn't be necessary for Vista or 7 if you are using a non-RAID array with AHCI. Only XP requires AHCI drivers to be installed before the OS is fully installed.

I always install the "Intel Matrix Storage Manager." It can be helpful in monitoring the status of your drives for diagnostic purposes.

As for determining whether the critical AHCI drivers are already properly installed, go to Device Manager, expand the ATA/ATAPI Controllers section, and look for something like "Intel SATA AHCI Controller."

·
Registered
8,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcmo /forum/post/20849513

On a side note I received Witcher 2 yesterday. After installing it I played on it for about 10 minutes to see if I would get the same problem. I experienced no issues with it, although it was a really short test sample. However I then went into Witcher and didn't even get past the option menus.

I know the computer has some issues which I will check into further, but I'm wondering if Witcher had some corrupt files in it. I downloaded it but had to stop in the middle of it. Not only did I stop but I called Comcast and changed internet speeds because it was way too slow. I've uninstalled the game and am getting ready to do a new download and see how things go from there.

The Witcher could be corrupted, which is why for testing purposes I would stick to using basic things like the WEI test for triggering crashes.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmith83 /forum/post/20849737

I always install the "Intel Matrix Storage Manager." It can be helpful in monitoring the status of your drives for diagnostic purposes.

Would this be the same thing as Intel Rapid Storage Technology, or work the same. This was part of my chipset download; how can I be sure the chipset drivers were updated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmith83 /forum/post/20849737

As for determining whether the critical AHCI drivers are already properly installed, go to Device Manager, expand the ATA/ATAPI Controllers section, and look for something like "Intel SATA AHCI Controller."

I've got Intel(R) ICH10R Sata AHCI Controller which is working properly with the best driver already installed. I've also got two ATA Channel 0's. The first ATA Channel 0 says this device is working properly, but the second ATA 0 says "This device cannot start. (code 10). I've also got two ATA Channel 1's which have the same properties as Channel 0.

Re-downloaded Witcher and installed, same problems as before (I don't get very far without BSOD). This time the screen showed "kernel data inpage error", I didn't have a camera at hand so can't give you any numbers. Witcher 2 still running fine (at least for the short amount of time I ran it) but I think the un-install of Witcher affected Witcher 2 as I was unable to run the launcher (the game would open up but I no longer had access to make the quality changes). Ran Memtest86 V4.0a and everything was fine with that. However once I was booted back up I opened IE and was promptly greeted with BSOD. Also ran another WIE with no issues.

·
Registered
8,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcmo /forum/post/20849972

This time the screen showed "kernel data inpage error", I didn't have a camera at hand so can't give you any numbers.

This also points to a hard drive problem. Whether it is caused by voltage irregularities from the power supply, the motherboard hardware or the SATA data cable is another matter. You have tried different SATA data cables, correct?

You should definitely check the hard drive for errors and/or corrupted sectors using CHKDSK just to see what comes up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcmo /forum/post/20849972

Would this be the same thing as Intel Rapid Storage Technology, or work the same.

"Intel Matrix Storage Manager" is a separate entity. Install and run it. It will give you lots of information about the drives you have connected.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, this is a brand new hard drive (the other one couldn't get past WEI). It is a different cable (was using a 5 pin sata cable), plus hooked to a different output from the power supply.

I'll run a CHKDSK in the morning, after that I am going to format and re-install the operating system (not going to hurt too much as I already created an image file so I can just reload if problem not solved), not load any programs (other than Witcher) or download any updates and run the game and see what I have. I think that this should tell me whether I have a driver problem (I would think Witcher wouldn't have a problem with a base operating system, there shouldn't be any other drivers to mess with it) or a hardware problem.

I also need to figure out why the 2 ATA channels aren't working, although now after running trouble shooting software and trying to update drivers (keeps on saying they are up to date though) they show up as IDE channels. Re-installing the operating system will let me see if they still show up as a problem (chipset should return to stock, shouldn't it), either way I figure it is something in my BIOS settings or it didn't like the new chipset drivers (they were the right ones so I don't get why there is a problem there).

I'll go ahead and put in the Intel Matrix Storage Manager tomorrow; thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
8,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcmo /forum/post/20851752

I also need to figure out why the 2 ATA channels aren't working, although now after running trouble shooting software and trying to update drivers (keeps on saying they are up to date though) they show up as IDE channels. Re-installing the operating system will let me see if they still show up as a problem (chipset should return to stock, shouldn't it), either way I figure it is something in my BIOS settings or it didn't like the new chipset drivers (they were the right ones so I don't get why there is a problem there).

Is every drive connected to the Intel controller? Looking at your board's specs, it has IDE and SATA ports tied to a JMicron controller. Without knowing much else, it is possible that it is in reference to the JMicron ports and would certainly display problems if you didn't install the drivers for those connections.

If you aren't using the JMicron ports, then I would disable them via the BIOS in order to reduce possible confusion.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Most likely your problem is your hd4850. I use to own that card and I was getting bsod when I first bought Mass Effect 2. Some games work well and some of the newer games make that card act up. I bought gtx 460 when it first came out and I haven't had the bsod problem again. Check your card!!!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ran the check disk this morning, but it kept on hanging on it. Formatted the drive and installed the operating system, with nothing else installed but Witcher. I got this (didn't blue screen at this point)

WerFault.exe:

The instruction at 0xfbeed8c referenced memory at 0xfeeea18. The memory could not be written.

Later attempts on running the game (with just the boot drive connected) all resulted in bsod. Downloaded updates and reloaded programs, only in the end to run a check disk and have it all go up in smoke. It just started deleting I don't know how many things, had to be in the hundreds and almost surely more.

I didn't believe recovery was going to fix what had just happened, so I formatted and re-installed the operating system again. This time the only thing I installed was the Ceton Cable Tuner Card software, Media Center, and Office 95. I ran a Wei and it shut down on Disk Performance. I think this goes beyond the game running (it might have created the problem or accelerated it), it's got to be something in the hardware.

I've had controller errors show up in event finder, hard drives disappearing, possible memory leaks (ran memtest 86 and Windows Memory Diagnostic, both which came up okay). I'm thinking it has to be the power supply, mother board or the video card or more than one. The video card could be bad and caused something else to go bad.

How do I tell if the motherboard has gone bad. I am already planning on replacing the power supply and video card, but I sure don't want to put it onto a bad motherboard and have them go bad too.

Oh, when I re-installed the operating system I wound up with 3 ATA Channel 0's, 3 ATA Channel 1's, and 1 ATA Channel 2,3,4,5. These weren't there with the other chipset, so I didn't reload the updated firmware for the chipset.

Something wierd going on too, when I tried to shut down it asked me if I was sure because it would interrupt another process (it's only asked me that before when the Media Center was on upstairs). I opened up task manage but nothing was running, ended up looking at the user tab. It showed a user "Mcx 1-DCMO-PC, so I went to C:\\users and sure enough there was a folder there by that name. However the times that I have been there before it wasn't there, but a Windows 7 folder was. Any idea what is up with this?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.