AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it's been an interesting day. Two releases.

BSoftPlayer 4.0 beta 3 is here.

Here's what's new from beta 2:

- Working fullscreen mode (everything on it works; you can actually use the browser)

- Quite a few bugfixes

Here are the features so far:

- Uses DirectShow to play media; no Media Player control or other bloat

- Plays MP3/WMA/WAV, OGG with the correct DirectShow filter

- Plays WMV/AVI/MPEG (Audio only for now)

- SQL based, handles 10,000+ tracks with ease

- Browse by artist, album

- Search for artists, albums, tracks

- Instant find (similar to Winamp's Jump feature)

- 16:9 fullscreen mode, Flash based, resolution independent. Assumes square pixels; letterboxes for non 16:9 resolutions

- Reads ID3v2 and ID3v1

- Imports 8500 tracks in five seconds; loads ID3 tags in five minutes of background loading

- Fully customizable keyboard shortcuts that work while BSoftPlayer is in the background as well as in full screen mode

- GNU GPL, open source, free to distribute and modify so long as you follow the terms of the GPL (no incorporating into a closed source product, etc.)

How to use fullscreen mode:

Double-click on the titlebar to enter fullscreen mode. Press ESC to exit. Use the up and down arrow keys to choose from the list, enter to select. Use page up/page down to scroll a page at a time. Press backspace to go back. You can use the mouse to select from the list or manipulate the scroll bar.

Keyboard shortcuts:

Keyboard shortcuts are configurable by clicking on "Settings", then "Keyboard Shortcuts" in the browser.

Keyboard shortcuts are accessed by pressing CTRL+ALT+Key. They work while in most other applications and games.

Here are the defaults:

CTRL+ALT+P or CTRL+ALT+SPACEBAR = Play/Pause

CTRL+ALT+S = Stop

CTRL+ALT+LEFT ARROW = Previous Track

CTRL+ALT+RIGHT ARROW = Next Track

CTRL+ALT+UP ARROW = Increase volume

CTRL+ALT+DOWN ARROW = Decrease volume

CTRL+ALT+1 through CTRL+ALT+0 = Set volume (1=10%, 0=100%, etc.)

Here is a screenshot of the fullscreen mode:

http://bsoft.home.attbi.com/screenshot.png

Here is a screenshot of the normal mode:

http://bsoft.home.attbi.com/screenshot2.png

Update: Fixed a bug in the installer; earlier version did not ship with the required skin folder.

Installer (900KB): bspsetup43a.exe

Source Code (1.8 MB): bsoftplayer4b3.zip

SourceForge Project Page: http://sourceforge.net/projects/bsoftplayer

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi again. Just sharing a few thoughts:

There are quite a few "full screen" media players out there, many are featutred right in this Forum. Herte's what I think makes BSoftPlayer different:

- It's not commercial; it is released under an open liscence. I have no intentions of ever charging money for BSoftPlayer, nor could I if I wanted to

- It's open source; anyone who knows a bit of VB can enhance the product in any way they see fit. They can even distribute their modified version, so long as they give the same rights as they were given

- It's SQL based; SQL databases are extremely powerful and flexible, making it easy to add new functions

- It was designed to be extensible; everything is componitized and placed into individual functions, making it easy to add new features

Is BSoftPlayer as good as the other products on this forum? Probably not. I have a lot of respect for the commercial products on this forum, they were clearly designed and programmed by some very capable developers. Heck, I'm a high school student. But BSoftPlayer is not a product from a company. It's a project that the community can shape.

At least that's what I would like to believe.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I get a runtime error saying borderleft.bmp is missing in a /skins folder that doesn't exist.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I see those missing files are in the source .zip

You'll need to fix the packaging since most of us won't get the source package.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Jesse. I've updated the installer and added the missing folder. Please post if you have any more problems.

Thanks,

Brian

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just started work on a simple format that will allow you to add your own flash-based "pages" to the fullscreen mode - a weather page or a stock quote page, for example.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.