AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Unfortunately for SDR movies, there is no commonly agreed gamma curve. For HDR there is, but not for SDR.

So I just wonder if there is some setting that in general works better than others for SDR movies? Options to choose from are: Gamma 2.2, 2.4 or BT.1886. I know BT.1886 is supposed to be some attempt at standardizing this. But in reality it seems like Gamma 2.2 produces better results on my TV.

So based on the above, is there any conclusion on what setting is best to use in general? And do you manually swap between different settings depending on movie (seems like a hassle!)? :unsure:

·
Registered
LG OLED55CXPTA. i1 Display Pro Plus. CalMan Home for LG.
103 Posts
Hi there! I'm not an expert but, for me, 2.4 @ ~100nits peak brightness in a very dark room is the way to go for SDR movies and television.

I've found with my new OLED, that even light bias lighting can reduce my perceived shadow detail somewhat, though. Without the True Blacks of OLED, I might be going for 2.2.

I dunno. I'm still figuring what feels the most cinematic. Curious to hear what the pros think!

·
Registered
9,575 Posts
For SDR, 2.4 Gamma for SDR and REC.709:

REC.709 as a specification has BT.1886 gamma, but it's a fixed a power-law 2.4 the values they are using everywhere, right now.

When you have a display with 0 nits native black level, using BT.1886 or Gamma 2.4, it will have the same luminance targets for the whole grayscale range.

·
Registered
552 Posts
And do you manually swap between different settings depending on movie (seems like a hassle!)?
I'm trying making some 3DLUTs (still work in progress, need to sort out where I am doing it wrong, they work, but don't work like I want them to), so I can just press a shortcut in media player and needed gamma (sRGB, 2.4, 2.2, doesn't really matter, can create anything) is selected, so no hassle, just a few buttons at the beginning of the film (same as setting volume at the beginning) to fit it best.
I'd go with EBU, if I were to pick a "standard".
But remember - if you are picking up a "standard" then you also need to align everything else with it, like room illumination and background of the TV.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts