Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I'm going to be buying my li'l brother (who's still in college) a b-day present soon, and since he's a music lover I figured I'd get him a decent, entry level 5.1 system + receiver.

My brother's not *exactly* an audiophile, but he does play several instruments proficiently and is placed well in the college orchestra, so he has good ears, unlike me, who can't tell a Bose from a Dynaudio (okay mebbe not THAT bad, but you get the point).

His room is a 12x14x10, and his main use of a sound system will prolly just be for music alone. I *think* he has a Audigy 2, so mebbe he'll want DVD-Audio, I dunno.

I'm thinking about getting the Energytake speakers because they sound pretty nice and is in my price range, but don't know what I should get for the receiver. Do you think I'm making a decent choice? Or would people recommend "bundles" from a store (online or offline)?

Lemme know!

Jeffrey

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm using a Kenwood VR7070 and got it with a warranty for $350 at it works really well. Has the THX tag attached if that is important and a 6 channel input (SACD???)

That leaves you with $650 for speakers. My breakout would be $350-$400 for the front pair, $100-$150 for the center and the rest on surrounds. At this point, I'd exclude a sub because it probably costs more than it's worth to add to the system and that money would be better spent on the mains IMO

Also Check CC and crutchfield for some great deals on the Polk RTi series. I have used and heard these and for the new price, they are really hard to beat and should fit in your budget.

It may also be better to use all the money on a stereo speaker pair instead of all five speakers

·
Registered
643 Posts
My new favorite recomendation for a sub $1k system now is these little guys http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=297634

Omage AV-21. Great speakers for the money, in fact almost too good. I would think a lot of people would pass on these thinking you can't get anything good for that kind of money but they are pretty amazing.

Those along with a nice Denon reciever and a universal DVD/SACD/DVD-A unit like the pioneers and you are set!

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Whatever you decide on you are one hell of nice brother.:D

I know that nobody wants to look a gift-horse in the mouth - (or an audio system in the tweeter?), but just to play it safe - make sure you have return privileges. Good luck.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I'd chime in here with a recommendation to look on ebay for wharfedale diamonds. They are running at about 150ish a pair. Get a centre (another 150ish and you are in for 5 speakers for under $500. Spend $300 on the best used receiver you can find and $200 on the cheap sony sub (there are a dozen threads on modifying this thing for better performance).

If you have change from the 500 for the speakers or buy a slightly cheaper receiver, you will have enough for cheap stands.

You'll have a pretty decent system for 1k...

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
If much of his listening will be to music I'd suggest you consider just getting a reciever and two speakers. Spending the money on just two speakers will yield MUCH better sound than splitting it between 5. There are MANY $600/pr speakers that will sound fabulous in a small room as you describe.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I think Carl's suggestion is dead on.

·
Registered
663 Posts
i'll second the av21s. 5 of those would be about $250. then $200 for a budget receiver, $100-150 for a dvd player and $400-500 for a reasonably good sub would make a great system. for ht don't skip or skimp on the sub.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Yeah, if you can afford a VTF-2, you'd have a very very nice little system. Maybe get a used receiver, if thats the case.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
maybe the PSB image 7PT [ive heard them many times in mumbai] for 900 bucks from www.upscaleaudio.com or www.dmc-electronics.com and an onkyo stereo amp for 99-130 bucks [for a 50X2 or 100X2 respectively] at www.jandr.com

cant think of anything better, esp since he's a musician and would rather have a pair of great speakers than 5 .....satellites :(

seeif you can audition them, a google search gives you good results...in terms of reviews and prices.

best wishes

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Well, if for music alone I'd definetly only buy 2 speakers. Speakers are very personal, so how about an offer to go shopping with him? On the source side the least expensive NAD receiver is a good bet. HK and Marantz are another couple of ideas.

If this was going to be mostly for HT I'd go with jd's Kenwood and a set of JBL studio series speakers.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by locomo
aatk,

Are you talking about the Sony SA-WM40 sub-woofer?

If so, where can you get one?

Thanks

loco
You can find the Sony SA-WM40 available in various for sale sections of these forums. I saw one for sale for approx. $125 (shipped) over at the Home Theater Forum. Also, don't be afraid to check E-Bay out. The SA-WM40 has been replaced by Sony with a newer model ... but the SA-WM40 is "tried and true"

Enjoy !!

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Tex-amp
I think Carl's suggestion is dead on.
I third Carls suggestion :)

2 good speakers can really shine alone

5 lousey speakers are still just 5 lousey speakers

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hmmm... based on the advice I'll prolly get this for my brother:

2 speakers

1 sub

1 receiver

... I'll go to the local Magnolia Hi-Fi to ask questions... the Sony sub seems to be popular here... any more advice for speakers or receiver?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi. I just got some Athena AS-B2 bookshelf speakers from Best Buy for $260/pair. I'm using them in my 2nd home system w/ a Harman Kardon AVR8000 and a SVS 2039pc+ sub. I'm very impressed with them and the athena center as-c1. Actually I've been cranking this system up in my den the last several days with my cd's, since I just got all this stuff this last week (awaiting X1). I can say WOW cause they are that good. I found out about them at ecoustics.com and am now waiting for another pair for the rear surrounds. I've been taking my friends into the den and one said he felt like he was actually at a concert. There are so many speakers out there that it's mind boggling. So if I'm going to make a mistake I'd rather do it on the lesser expensive side, but I absolutely don't think I make a mistake with these athena's, anything but. Good luck to you on your choice.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
in a dorm room.... one last suggestion.....
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...rs-7-2001.html

very easy to drive..... the one i heard was being driven by a 50Watt/channel amp.....very pricey here in mumbai, but available for 99 bucks at www.jandr.com . the 100W/channel version is for 130 bucks.

3 eight inch subs [powered] will be "sufficient" :)

close second choice is the PSB image 7pt.

i know ppl would suggest separate subs but...........just listen to the paradigms and be the judge :)

best wishes

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
i'm sorry i totally forgot about your budget.....but did you decide to stretch it? i mean youre getting a reciever, sub and speakers.....

in that case.....the psb 7PT and that 100 dollar onkyo will be exactly within your budget.

·
Premium Member
3,832 Posts
Another suggestion:

A quality set of headphones + good source (SACD or DVD-A player) + headphone amp will absolutely blow you away (on par with $10k speaker systems). As a bonus the headphones will not disturb other dorm residents. www.head-fi.org is a good forum to check out for recommendations. Go listen to the Sennheiser HD600 or Etymotic ER-4S (with headphone amp) and decide for yourself...

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
How about a speaker kit? I know that partsexpress has a bookshelf kit and a sub kit for $140 and $350 respectfully. I hear they do sound like speakers costing 2-3 times as much. Put the rest of the money into finding a good used pre-amp/amp/cd player on ebay.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.