AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay guys, finally got my theater room close to done and would like to turn my attention to a nice 2 channel setup in my living room. I would like to keep it budget minded and I have no problem with old, used vintage gear. I would also like to keep it smallish dimension wise per the wife.

Here is what I'd like to do: Listen to CD's and have an Ipod/iphone connection for the wife. Also have remote control of volume.

Here is what I currently own: 1 pair of polk Monitor 30 Speakers. 1 pair of Klipsch HD300 satelites, 1 8 inch low profile sub of the no name variety, 3 Audiosource 100 amps which can output 50wx2 channels or 160w bridged.

Here's what I'm wondering (thinking of buying): using Emotiva products as a frame of reference, would something like the XDA-1 be all I need in addition to a good DVD player for CD's? The reason behind the DVD player (like a cheaper Denon for example) is I have read that they have good enough converters for CD listening for most listeners. My logic is I would connect whatever I use for CD's and my ipod cable to the XDA-1 and then connect each output to an Audiosource amp and bridge each one to each of my Monitor 30's.

Or, would a stereo preamp, like the USP-1 be better for it's ability to incorporate a subwoofer? I don't need all of the extra inputs of the USP so i feel like the extra money is going for the ability to use a sub.

What do you guys think? Where should i be looking and with what I already have what should I be looking to purchase? I know my speakers are weak, so what are some good options there? I'm not able to go floorstander probably because of wife. My livingroom has cathedral ceilings and opens into dinig area and kitchen...so pretty spacious.

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
I assume you are getting speakers, hard to tell, but I'd put most of my money there. I spent the extra cash and bought a pair of paradigm studio 10s. I love them, but for bookshelfs they are on the pricy side of around 8--900 depending if you can find a dealer to discount 20%. If I were saving a couple hundred, I'd look into the B&W 685 which can be had for less than 700/pair. I'd also give the Polk LSi bookshelfs a look. Any of these should be adequately driven with what you have + XDA1 or with a low to mid level AVR, the avr providing bass management should you later add a sub.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, speakers are coming. Just having dilemma on what will tie system together. XDA-1 would pair nicely with a dvd player and connect to my amps, but it will not connect to an ipod/iphone. So now I'm looking at a regular preamp, and I guess an external DAC down the road. Just thought for new price of $299 xda-1 was a good deal, but unless there's a cable I don't know exists, I'm out of luck.

The dock type option you mention is more than I want to spend. Wife doesn't have high nitrate music on her phone. Hmmm...thanks for the input though!

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Would an LOD type device solve your concerns over iPod and preamp? Shouldn't be terribly expensive.

You could also use a surround sound AVR that has more integration options.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by walbert
would an lod type device solve your concerns over ipod and preamp? Shouldn't be terribly expensive.

You could also use a surround sound avr that has more integration options.
lod?

·
Registered
1,785 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Would something like the iStreamer, which I have read good reviews on, be terribly outmatched audio wise by running ipod/iphone through something that passes spdif signal through bottom port (like the cambridge dock) and then running that into a XDA-1 before hitting preamp?

It's a few hundred more $$ doing it that way, but the XDA-1 does offer the ability to add a DVD player down the road to create a pretty good way to play cd's.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.