AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,156 Posts

Quote:
I'm looking at the Polk Audio Monitor 40's (129.99 shipped at newegg). Does anyone have any thoughts about them?

Polk is a decent brand, but devoting so little of your budget to speakers will not give you optimum sound.

I'm also looking at the Onkyo TX-8255 ($194 shipped from amazon). Will it's 50wpc be enough to power the Monitor 40s? Any thoughts about that receiver?

Quote:
I've seen other cheaper, more powerful receivers on amazon like the Sherwood RX-4105, but I'm not too familiar with brands in the audio world. I am planning on connecting an older Denon turntable to the receiver, so I think that I need a phono input, which I don't think the Sherwood has.

Sherwood makes another model (I think it's the 4109) that does have a phono input. Alternatively, $50 will buy you a decent phono preamp at www.phonopreamps.com

The Onkyo is a good choice, though something cheaper will give you more flexibility on speakers.

Quote:
[Edit] I'm aware that I will also need to purchase cables, etc., too.

Any source component (like your turntable) will come with its own cable. All you need are speaker cables. $10 should cover you here.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the fast reply.

So, If I buy the Sherwood RX-4105 and a TCC TC-750LC from phonopreamps.com (which will be a total of $134.16 shipped) OR a Sherwood RX-4109 from amazon/beach audio for $126.37, what speakers would you recommend (I guess $200 or less)?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts