AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for something under 500 bucks. I know it's not going to be ideal for gaming but it's all I want to spend, so what's the best I can do?

I've narrowed my search to the following

Samsung LN32B360

Toshiba 32AV502R

Sony KDL 32L5000

I'd really appreciate some more opinions on LCDs in this pricerange, about these sets or others.

Usage will be Wii, 360, and PC via HDMI for movies. Would be nice to have a set with relatively good blacks.

·
Registered
231 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SovietSlayer /forum/post/18132524

The samsung is a "good" budget tv but it will not give you good black levels.

IMO you should save up your money until you can buy a good 32in LED backlit TV like the UN32B6000

Come on, the OP asks for a budget TV and you recommend the most overpriced TV on the market? OP, any of those TV's you listed would be great for you. The only thing I would say is if you can fit it, get a 40". The size difference will be much more apparent than the marginally better blacks from the LEd backlight on a 32" TV. Remember, a 32 inch 16x9 display has the same height as a 27" 4:3

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jponte55 /forum/post/18132533

Come on, the OP asks for a budget TV and you recommend the most overpriced TV on the market? OP, any of those TV's you listed would be great for you. The only thing I would say is if you can fit it, get a 40". The size difference will be much more apparent than the marginally better blacks from the LEd backlight on a 32" TV. Remember, a 32 inch 16x9 display has the same height as a 27" 4:3

Thanks jponte, I'll have a look at some 40'' sets as well but I think 32 will be fine for my use, I've been using a 24'' widescreen Acer monitor as my main display for a while now, I don't have a very big area, probably only around 6-8' away.. so it doesn't need to be too big.

I'm not too concerned about getting an LED backlight, I know the CCFL on all these cheap sets won't be perfectly uniform but I think it will be alright.

·
Registered
36 Posts
None of those will give you good deep blacks "imo". The best gaming TV would be the Toshiba, I heard Sony and Samsung suck for gaming TVs in the lower 32inch range.

You should look into the Panasonics as they use IPS panels which are ideal for gaming because of their wide viewing angle and low response times.

·
Registered
231 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gharakh /forum/post/18133196

Thanks jponte, I'll have a look at some 40'' sets as well but I think 32 will be fine for my use, I've been using a 24'' widescreen Acer monitor as my main display for a while now, I don't have a very big area, probably only around 6-8' away.. so it doesn't need to be too big.

I'm not too concerned about getting an LED backlight, I know the CCFL on all these cheap sets won't be perfectly uniform but I think it will be alright.

Cool do what makes you comfortable. The Panasonic above is a good Rec as well. You would be surprised by some of the distance to display ratios around here. With HD you can sit much closer and THX recommends it

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
depending on what type of games you play you should read the thread in my sig

I would recommend the Panasonic 32" S1, it can be found just under your budget

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey guys thanks a lot for all the recs, I went shopping today and came home with the Samsung LN32B460 which I managed to get for $429

Harder to find great deals here in Canada so I was really happy with this price, and it should be a bit of a step up from the B360 I was originally planning to grab.

Very happy with this set so far after some initial Xbox 360 testing

I decided against the Toshiba because it looked like it had a bit too much green in the colour, plus it had a much higher pricetag.

·
Registered
10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by frito /forum/post/18134280

depending on what type of games you play you should read the thread in my sig

I would recommend the Panasonic 32" S1, it can be found just under your budget
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjetski71 /forum/post/18134505

Yes, OP, definitely add the panasonic L32S1 to your list, then after that put it to the top of your list

And checkout the link in Frito's sig for comparisons.

Is everyone still real confident that the Panasonic 32" S1 will be a good entry level gaming display? I am looking to only have to buy a TV one time. I primarily game on xbox 360 and ps3. Thanks guise

·
Registered
109 Posts
Everyone keeps mentioning the S1, but didn't the X1 score better in your input lag post?

Has anyone tested the X2(2010 model) to see if the same is true?

Also, the Samsung 32C450 doesn't list whether it was in game mode or not.

Also, is it truly fair to compare test done with LCDs to ones down with CRTs and just assuming the added difference?

---------------------------------------------

Side note. I think you should try condensing the information in a quick, easy to read spreadsheet.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Hands down the Panasonic IPS Alpha TC-L32S1 is the best Gaming LCD hands down 32" or 37".

You can do some research into why IPS Alpha panels are the best for Gaming.

Playing Super Street Fighter 4 now and I feel like I have default built in advantage over gamers on other types of LCD's.

got the last one from Amazon.com sold by Amazon for $300 they now go for $700+ because Gamers Want a dedicated Gaming LCD.

Which is what I do 1 Dedicated LCD for movies and TV, one 23" LCD for PC use, and 1 dedicated LCD for "gaming"

on the 32S1 theres no lag that will affect you, the colors a rich and deep.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Also look at Sharp LCD's - they've been known to be excellent when it comes to input lag.

·
Registered
10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryloc /forum/post/18609739

Everyone keeps mentioning the S1, but didn't the X1 score better in your input lag post?

Has anyone tested the X2(2010 model) to see if the same is true?

Also, the Samsung 32C450 doesn't list whether it was in game mode or not.

Also, is it truly fair to compare test done with LCDs to ones down with CRTs and just assuming the added difference?

---------------------------------------------

Side note. I think you should try condensing the information in a quick, easy to read spreadsheet.

This is relevant to my interest. Is there any information comparing to the newer models?
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlin29311 /forum/post/18611386

Also look at Sharp LCD's - they've been known to be excellent when it comes to input lag.

Which models are you referring to?

·
Registered
608 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxLOL /forum/post/18611610

Is there any information comparing to the newer models?

The only thing that comes close is the LCD input lag thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1131464

And yes the L32S1 is fantastic for gaming, big, fast, immersive and gorgeous game graphics.

The new replacement model, the L32U22 has double the input lag and uses an LG S-IPS panel as opposed to the Panasonic IPS-alpha panel the L32S1 uses, although i do hear people complimenting the L32U22's game graphic quality.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.