AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've spent a few hours on here today, what a great site. I think I spent more time running through threads that were of no help to me.

Anyway, I've been looking at getting a HTIB system for about a week now, I started off by looking at the Yamaha 390, but quickly realised it wasn't to my tastes and would limit me in the future. More recently I have been looking at the Onkyo 5100 and I found a Harman Kardon cp55 system for sale also. I am going to be mainly playing music on this, although in the next year I will be upgrading my television and getting a ps3, etc and will be using it for movies and gaming a lot more as the year pushes on. I don't need it to be crystal clear like a bose system, although it would be nice to have good sound quality and a decent amount of bass. Is there anything I am missing, should I go down a different route. Any suggestions, no more than $450 would be fantastic. Just looking for a good all round system. Also, how big of a difference does wooden speakers over plastic make, I kinda like the black wood look, although I won't piss my pants if I don't get them.

Sorry for talking a lot of nonsense.

Thanks.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You learn a new thing everyday I guess. I had previously read on another thread that Onkyo systems didn't have the best speakers, although I haven't heard one of their systems in person.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Yes, the speakers in these systems are nothing special. You might want to consider a separate receiver and two nice speakers for now if you really enjoy music. You could build up as you go. Either of these HTiB's will be a ton of fun for watching movies in 5.1 or 7.1 surround and playing games, but the front two speakers are just not good enough to cut it for stereo music. This is just my opinion, but the only way music would sound good is in surround mode, and that gets tedious after a while.

Nice budget speakers start at around $200 a pair but you can find special deals from time to time and get something nice for less. However, you can see how it adds up quick.

If you do go for the HTiB, both the Onkyo and Harmon are very good choices for the money - it just boils down to the differences and aesthetics between the two. You can always upgrade the speakers if you're not happy with the sound. That's either a good way to go or it's a wastedepending on what you want to do.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Ickysmits. One other thing though, as far as gaming is concerned, what would be the best one for hooking up to a ps3, also taking into consideration that I would be watching blu ray through the ps3.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garef /forum/post/15588835

You learn a new thing everyday I guess. I had previously read on another thread that Onkyo systems didn't have the best speakers, although I haven't heard one of their systems in person.

Neither does Bose, though. All HTIB speakers will have limitations, although Onkyo's are better than most in that cateorgy.

Dedicated speaker companies (Paradigm, Infinity, KEF, etc.) are the ones that trounce pretty much anything from a HTIB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garef /forum/post/15589409

Thanks Ickysmits. One other thing though, as far as gaming is concerned, what would be the best one for hooking up to a ps3, also taking into consideration that I would be watching blu ray through the ps3.

Well, what are you expecting? The 5100 has video only HDMI, but the optical cable will get you 5.1 (and 7.1 using ProLogicIIx) just fine.

Move up to the 6100 and you'll get HDMI audio which works with the PS3 for hi-rez codecs like Dolby TrueHD (5100 only does those over analog audio, and the PS3 doesn't use those, so no go in that respect there.) There are debates as to exactly how much that adds to the experience, but it will stretch your budget.

You can't really go wrong with the Onkyo systems (or Harmon Kardon, or Yamaha, for that matter). It just depends on what you want to do and what your hardline budget is.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm learning more stuff by the minute. I guess I'm looking for a system that will by the summer time be suited for a ps3. Onkyo has grabbed my attention a lot with all of the reviews and what people have said about them. If I need to wait for the 6100 then thats what I'll do. May I also add that at the start of today I was looking at the 3100 system and the Yamaha 390. Hmmm, what a difference a day makes.

Just on another side note, are there any Yamaha options that would suit me either?

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
I don't know Yamaha's lineup that well, but I'm not sure if they have any 7.1 or TrueHD setups.

The PS3 will work with just about any of them. It has legacy outputs as well as HDMI. It just depends on what you want to spend.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
The S6100 is at a price point where it starts to make more sense to just buy an Onkyo 606 receiver and 5 separate speakers and a sub or a 5.1 speaker package - unless you have your heart set on 7.1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garef /forum/post/15589545

May I also add that at the start of today I was looking at the 3100 system and the Yamaha 390. Hmmm, what a difference a day makes.

At this rate you'll triple your budget by the end of the week.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ickysmits /forum/post/15589832

The S6100 is at a price point where it starts to make more sense to just buy an Onkyo 606 receiver and 5 separate speakers and a sub or a 5.1 speaker package – unless you have your heart set on 7.1.

I think it depends on where it is bought and when. Sometimes you can get some killer deals on either. Also, some of the subs on those 5.1 packages are, well, less than stellar as well, and buying a separate sub can stretch things a bit.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was more looking for the HTIB setup due to the fact that I wouldn't need to go out and find a receiver, then speakers and sub. I was looking for the ease of having it all in one. I do agree however that the 6100 is a bit pricey still and the only places that have decent sales don't have any in stock. Bloody head is buzzing.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa /forum/post/15590106

I think it depends on where it is bought and when. Sometimes you can get some killer deals on either. Also, some of the subs on those 5.1 packages are, well, less than stellar as well, and buying a separate sub can stretch things a bit.

Very true, I agree with you to an extent. I have a friend who recently bought Energy all around and feel like he got such a better value over HTiB - but yeah, you have to be very patient and decide quickly when it does come around.

On the other side of the coin the 6100 can be found at a killer price. But even at its best price it might be worth it to spend a few hundred more now rather than upgrade everything later - especially if you want to enjoy listening to music.

And I think listening to music is the deciding factor. I know at first I didn't realize how bad music would sound with tiny front speakers and how fast I would tire of listening to music with all speakers turned on in 5 channel stereo or some other 2 channel decoder setting.

But for movies and games I think many HTiB's are a lot of fun and can be a good deal. And I very much agree that a lot of 5.1 packages aren't such great deals with less than stellar subs.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ickysmits /forum/post/15590951

On the other side of the coin the 6100 can be found at a killer price. But even at its best price it might be worth it to spend a few hundred more now rather than upgrade everything later – especially if you want to enjoy listening to music.

Oh, I always agree that if you can go separates, it's worth it. That's why I gave my HTIB speakers away last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garef /forum/post/15590819

I was more looking for the HTIB setup due to the fact that I wouldn't need to go out and find a receiver, then speakers and sub. I was looking for the ease of having it all in one.

Well, I'd recommend doing a bit more research to really find what you want, but Onkyo does make it convenient.

The nice thing is that you can use the receiver to power better speakers down the road. Which makes it a good starter choice.

·
Banned
40 Posts
you must look for Sony HTSS2300 thats is under ur budget.It includes a 5.1-channel A/V receiver thrusting 1000 watts of power (RMS). In addition, the A/V receiver's HDMI™ interface transmits both audio and video while offering 1080p resolution and full bandwidth sound tracks (LPCM) support through a single cable. You can also integrate your portable music into a traditional home theater system while providing enhanced audio quality with the Portable Audio Enhancer. Designed to sync with Sony Blu-ray Disc components, the HT-SS2300 offers one-touch operation of compatible Sony HDMI™ components which eliminate the need of multiple remote controls.

Well second option is little bit higher if u want to spend little more money nd want extra sound. Then you have Bose 321GSII-5S.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Did you look at the Yamaha 590? Thats in your budget if you get it from amazon with free shipping. Thats what I started with and I though it was great. I ended up upgrading the receiver ( VSX-01txh )and adding 2 tower (P362s )speakers. I'm still using the Yamaha speakers for my fronts, surrounds, rears and center. The sub sounds pretty good too (which I am also still using).It has more than enough power for my taste. You can always upgrade as the budget allows. If you do choose to upgrade you can also sell the older stuff. ( Which I also did.)

Cons on the 590:

Hdmi is video pass through only. So you'll have to add an optical wire for audio.

Receiver is only 5.1

Only 2 hdmi outs

No 12v trigger

Pros on 590:

Powered sub is pretty good and has a 12v trigger on it ( but you can't use it unless you have a receiver with 12v trigger sorce)

Speakers are decent.

I'm not saying this is the best, But I think you might want to condider.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Depending on where you are located, Biglots (of all places) has a Denon AVR-588 and Boston Acoustics MCS130 kit priced at

1 - 16 of 16 Posts