AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been out of the Home Theater game for a few years. Actually most of the last decade. I had a setup that I was pretty satisfied with so I didn't bother upgrading. However, now I am moving into a new house and I am finally going to get a true home Theater.

I have a nice 5 channel Rotel amp that I would like to use. However, I can't go overboard on the budget. I really would like to find an inexpensive receiver that will output to the Rotel and do all of the 4K and 3D HDMI switching.

Currently I have the Yamaha V663 receiver that has pre-outs for the Rotel. That receiver was just a little over $400 when I reviewed mine back in 2008. I really would like to find something that is the equivalent to that receiver with pre-outs for 7.1 or 7.2 channels. Does the equivalent of the RX-V663 exist today?

I have always used Yamaha receivers but I am open to other brands if they offer the same level of features for a lower price.

All I could find was the yamaha RX-V777BT and the RX-V775($849) that had pre-outs. Is there anything less expensive than that with pre-outs? Are there any less expensive receivers with built in amps that could rival the Rotel? I have some really nice ERA brand speakers that I want to keep. However, they are very power hungry speakers so I am afraid that a separate amp is really essential to run them.

So what receiver would you suggest on a budget when you need pre-outs?

·
Premium Member
7,790 Posts
What's your budget? There really isn't an equivalent to the Yamaha RX-V663 anymore. The trend has been to only include pre-outs on the more expensive models (presumably because having pre-outs on the lower models cut sales on the more expensive models).

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
First, while you like your bookshelf speakers, are they really the best for you? They're low sensitivity 6 Ohm speakers. They take a lot of amplification to drive. They have their use for small spaces, but are they best for what you need? Most people would say your center channel should match them as well. Take the emotion out of it and look at that.

Should you keep them, then yes, you need a lot of amplification to drive those. I'm not sure what the Rotel is, but it would have to be beefy. Were you to get nice 8 Ohm highly sensitive speakers, then you would be fine with a nice AVR. That would simplify things, lower your power bill and save you money. You don't need a 7 channel amp either way. The only reason you need external amplification is the speakers you have.

Pre-outs don't go on low end receivers. Yamaha's website will show that feature. Get that since you like Yamaha. Also, budget for some room treatments if you can.

·
Registered
8,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Right now my only option for a home theater is a very small room. It would only be about 15 feet by 10-12 feet. It would be a really small 2-3 person theater so I believe the ERA speakers would work great in there. I have the speakers in a much larger and much more open room right now. They work well with the Rotel but the V-663 amp wasn't really enough for them in the larger room when I tried it.

I have an entire 5 channel matching set of the ERA Design 4 speakers plus 2 Design 3 speakers for front presence or rears.

So is the Yamaha RX-A840BL or equivalent yamaha receiver good for this? Does that receiver have full 4K capabilities? I have several high end 4K cameras and computers that I would like to use with it. None of them go over 4K @ 30 FPS though. However, I might get a 4K @ 60 FPS camera when they come out later this year or next.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/yamaha-...lack/5331013.p?id=1219120323733&skuId=5331013

·
Registered
15,087 Posts
A caveat is that no current AVR has "full 4K capability". This is a bad time to be buying equipment because both video (4K HDMI V2.0 + HDCP V2.2) and audio standards (Dolby Atmos, Auro-3D and DTS:X) are undergoing substantial changes. New hifi equipment models which will be available later this year (late summer & fall) should do a much better job of supporting the new standards. Initial pricing for appropriate models will likely be somewhat above your max budget, though. (~$1500 would be my guess for the minimum.)

That said, 2013 Marantz AVRs (which include preamp outputs) are available for less than $1K. E.g. the SR6008 can be had for about $600-800. Make sure you buy from an authorized Marantz dealer so you get the full 3 year manufacturer's warranty. Although they're only allowed to publicly list MSRP, most will quote a much lower price if you call them on the phone (Crutchfield and Best Buy won't). Accessories4Less is selling refurbed SR6008s for about $550.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
You may want to check out the Onkyo TX-RZ800. I found it on Accessories 4 Less running about 6 bills refurbished. Looks like it does Atmos/DTS X/and 4K.

Good luck,

dbl

·
Registered
66 Posts
Now that Comcast's remote boxes no longer have co-ax or optical digital audio outputs (HDMI only) this thread is even more relevant.

ANy other suggestions?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts