AVS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone. Been lurking for a while trying to find info. First post here.

I recently got an Onkyo 606 AVR. As of right now it is an expensive switchbox as I have no speakers hooked up to it.

I'd like to get a 5.1 speaker system for it. I am on a budget of a maximum of $500, but as always less is better if I can get away with it.

I'd like a set of satellite speakers to mount on my walls in the top corners of my living room. The center channel will just sit on my mantle below the TV, and the sub on the floor next to my media cabinet. I need these due to space restrictions, so no floor standing or bookshelf speakers please. Being in my living room, aesthetics is also a concern. I'd like them to look good and clean, and preferably available in a silver finish since all the other hardware in there is in silver.

Thanks for any ideas you can give me. Being a newb at this, all the options out there are making my head spin!

·
Registered
31 Posts
if you go to circuit city right now, they have the KEF3005BL on clearance for 699.99

this system was 1499.99 3 months ago,sound absolutely amazing, and it fits your requirements.

-- Chad

·
Registered
414 Posts
See if you can find a xbox spherex speaker system that uses mirage omnisat tech.

·
Registered
472 Posts
First step would be to search here. This really has been asked about thousand times. I don't mean to be a dick, but you'll get the same exact answers as everyone else who posted the same exact question.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by troublefan /forum/post/14275217

First step would be to search here. This really has been asked about thousand times. I don't mean to be a dick, but you'll get the same exact answers as everyone else who posted the same exact question.

With all due respect, I did do a search and none of the previous threads seemed to answer my specific question. Most of the answers were focused on floor standing speakers. The ones that did recommend satellite speakers were over a year old and many of the models were no longer available or all the links were dead.

·
Registered
472 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Polk Audio RM6750 5.1 speakers.

Usually on sale somewhere for $199-$225

·
Registered
8 Posts
My Onkyo 606 will be here tomorrow and I am debating on speakers. I am looking at the Polk RM6750 vs the HKTS-18s. Then I see the HKTS-11 which seem the same but cheaper. Driving me nuts, any input on what people have would be great.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am thinking now why did I avoid the HTIB if I am going to cheap out on the speakers. I am now looking at:

2 pairs of Polk Monitor 30s

Polk Monitor CS1

Velodyne VX-10

There appears to be mixed opinions on the Monitor 30s and I am also thinking about 2 50s for the front l/r. For primarily movies/gaming is it more important to have a balanced speaker set? I am worried the 50s may over power the rear 30s.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
2nd the Energy Take System. I ran those for a long and loved them for both music and movies.

They're often found on ebay or Craigslist for a ridiculously cheap price.

·
Registered
510 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namu /forum/post/14302962

I am thinking now why did I avoid the HTIB if I am going to cheap out on the speakers. I am now looking at:

2 pairs of Polk Monitor 30s

Polk Monitor CS1

Velodyne VX-10

There appears to be mixed opinions on the Monitor 30s and I am also thinking about 2 50s for the front l/r. For primarily movies/gaming is it more important to have a balanced speaker set? I am worried the 50s may over power the rear 30s.

More of the sound is going to be coming from the front with whatever your listening to, get 50s for the front.

·
Registered
225 Posts
For the money, the Athenas are good. You can get some good prices on them at www.audioadvisor.com . The WS-15's are very small and sound pretty good for what they are.

There are some threads discussing this brand that you may want to read.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the replies. What do you guys think of the Infinity TSS-1200 set for $400 at vanns.com? Looks pretty nice to me. The Charcoal version still goes for $1200 on that same site!

(I would post link but not enough posts yet)

·
Registered
606 Posts
Yeah, the silver TSS fits your bill perfectly and is under budget. I tried a TSS-750 a few years ago and found it to be way to tinny sounding. But the 1200 is newer and bigger so I hope it works out for you. You can even upgrade the sub in the future which may help with the sound if the satellites do wind up being a bit tinny.

·
Registered
43 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty258 /forum/post/14316296

Thanks for all the replies. What do you guys think of the Infinity TSS-1200 set for $400 at vanns.com? Looks pretty nice to me. The Charcoal version still goes for $1200 on that same site!

(I would post link but not enough posts yet)

I bought the tss 1200 off ebay direct from infinity. The auction said refurb but it looked to me like the box had never been opened. I have had them running on my onkyo 605 for about a month now and love them. Great sound with no distortion and they look great. Do a search on ebay and yoo will find them. A flat $35.00 for shipping. They go for about $300

Hope this helps.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts