AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a very basic need to play audio from my PC. My soundbridge is completely unreliable now as the power erratically comes on and off. I need a streamer that can play flac, has an iPhone app (for remotely controlling the music selection) and has a wifi option. I don't care about video as I rarely stream video and use my xbox360 if needed and for netflix. I don't want to have to use my tv and the bulky 360 interface just to play music.

And I am comfortable with complicated solutions - so feel free to get creative!

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
$99 apple tv, and convert your flac to apple lossless.

·
Registered
11,131 Posts
Depends on what you mean by "budget". Both the Squeezebox and Sonos solutions have iPhone/Pod/Pad apps, and IMO...and I've been streaming audio, to a pretty well put together 2-channel system, for about 6 years now...these two are second to none; and you wouldn't need to convert, or otherwise alter your FLACs.

That being said, they are about $300 (although there are ways around that...I would suggest trying to find a Squeezebox Duet Receiver only, or buying the Duet combo of Receiver and Controller, and then just selling the Controller to recoup some costs). I agree with gooki, that the new ATV...for $99...is a solid second choice.

CD

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for the good ideas.

It sounds like ATV with a batch conversion of my media to ALAC will solve the trick. $99 fix makes the most sense given my limited needs.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner /forum/post/19593706

Depends on what you mean by "budget". Both the Squeezebox and Sonos solutions have iPhone/Pod/Pad apps, and IMO...and I've been streaming audio, to a pretty well put together 2-channel system, for about 6 years now...these two are second to none; and you wouldn't need to convert, or otherwise alter your FLACs.

That being said, they are about $300 (although there are ways around that...I would suggest trying to find a Squeezebox Duet Receiver only, or buying the Duet combo of Receiver and Controller, and then just selling the Controller to recoup some costs). I agree with gooki, that the new ATV...for $99...is a solid second choice.

CD

control the duet receiver how then? via android app or something of the sort? Sounds like a banging idea.

·
Registered
4,276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner /forum/post/19593706

CD

Of course CD will tell you they are 2nd to none but I don't beleive he owns an apple airport based solution. I have a apple airport solution and a logitech SB3 and duet solution and for lan playback I prefer the apple solution. Its less than 1/2 the cost per zone. If internet radio is your thing. Get a SB touch or a Sonos but an airport express at less than $100 is a great solution and one I feel is easy to setup and maintain than the logitech solution and it costs less too. The logitech does have a few more features but do they matter to you?

SEan

·
Registered
11,131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smakovits /forum/post/19628817

control the duet receiver how then? via android app or something of the sort? Sounds like a banging idea.

Yeah; the OP said he was interested in controlling from an iPhone app. So the Duet Receiver is the cheapest way to get into Squeezebox.

IIRC, there is a trick to setting it up without the Controller, but it can be done.

CD

·
Registered
11,131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_w_smith /forum/post/19628988

Of course CD will tell you they are 2nd to none but I don't beleive he owns an apple airport based solution. I have a apple airport solution and a logitech SB3 and duet solution and for lan playback I prefer the apple solution. Its less than 1/2 the cost per zone. If internet radio is your thing. Get a SB touch or a Sonos but an airport express at less than $100 is a great solution and one I feel is easy to setup and maintain than the logitech solution and it costs less too. The logitech does have a few more features but do they matter to you?

SEan

SWS, only second to none...if for no other reason than codec support. I assume Apple Airport...like all Apple products...doesn't support FLAC natively? Also, I've had people PM me, saying they have a terrible time like with Rhapsody over Airport. But if you like it, then I'm sure the OP will take that into consideration. All depends, of course, on your needs.

CD

·
Registered
4,276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner /forum/post/19629028

SWS, only second to none...if for no other reason than codec support. I assume Apple Airport...like all Apple products...doesn't support FLAC natively? Also, I've had people PM me, saying they have a terrible time like with Rhapsody over Airport. But if you like it, then I'm sure the OP will take that into consideration. All depends, of course, on your needs.

CD

SB does have better codec support and few other features. Apple solution costs 1/2 the price per zone and has 90% of the features. Is one hands down better? No, as always I avoid blanket statements and realize it depends on what you want to do.

iTunes does not do rhapsody. So I dont know how people could complain about that.

What they are probably complaining about is AirFoil which is a software program for mac that lets you broadcast any sound to airport and atvs. its not bit perfect and I also agree its a little flaky. This is not a part of iTunes or even an add-on or a plugin. Its a hack. Its a clever and widely used hack but critizing the solution for it is like criticzing the SB solution for a buggy Squeezecenter plug-in.

and on FLAC. Who cares? I used to use FLAC and then I got an iPhone 3 years ago and batch converted all my FLAC to ALAC with dbPowerAmp and never looked back. As long as it lossless and supports tags then I will use which one fits my solution. Whether its FLAC, WMA, ALAC or APE to me does not matter only if it plays with the devices I care about.

and BTW: Just like windows media center there are plug-ins for iTunes and even one which plays FLAC although I still think its 1/2 baked. I dont recommend using it.

Sean

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
With the inclusion of iOS4.2, i'm very happily streaming Pandora and LastFM right from my iTouch2g's to my airport express and ATVs. This is by far the most cost effective solution for those already owning iDevices such as iTouchs and iPhones. With 3rd party support for Airplay already on the way from Marantz, Pioneer and Yamaha get in on the ground floor of a growing streaming platform that will support audio AND video as well as internet browsers and multiple apps. IMO as the Airplay family grows and the new ATV explores all of it's built in power, systems like Sonos and Squeeze will soflty fade into obscurity.

·
Registered
255 Posts
so, with regards to the ATV, if you have a Ipod touch (i have the touch)or Iphone, does that mean you can use the touch or phone as the controller and headpiece w/o having to turn on a TV for the ATV?

·
Registered
4,276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolsax /forum/post/19630489

so, with regards to the ATV, if you have a Ipod touch (i have the touch)or Iphone, does that mean you can use the touch or phone as the controller and headpiece w/o having to turn on a TV for the ATV?

Yes you can with ATV or an Apple Airport Express.

The ATV has HDMI out, toslink and analog.

airport express has analog and toslink.

you still need a computer somewhere (or NAS) containing the music and something running iTunes (or a NAS with a iTunes library function).

Sean

·
Registered
11,131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolsax /forum/post/19630489

I agree, and have said so many times, that if you're already an iPerson...have the iSomething for remote...that the ATV is worth an audition; considering it's $99.

CD

·
Registered
11,131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_w_smith /forum/post/19629050

SB does have better codec support and few other features. Apple solution costs 1/2 the price per zone and has 90% of the features. Is one hands down better? No, as always I avoid blanket statements and realize it depends on what you want to do.

iTunes does not do rhapsody. So I dont know how people could complain about that.

What they are probably complaining about is AirFoil which is a software program for mac that lets you broadcast any sound to airport and atvs. its not bit perfect and I also agree its a little flaky. This is not a part of iTunes or even an add-on or a plugin. Its a hack. Its a clever and widely used hack but critizing the solution for it is like criticzing the SB solution for a buggy Squeezecenter plug-in.

and on FLAC. Who cares? I used to use FLAC and then I got an iPhone 3 years ago and batch converted all my FLAC to ALAC with dbPowerAmp and never looked back. As long as it lossless and supports tags then I will use which one fits my solution. Whether its FLAC, WMA, ALAC or APE to me does not matter only if it plays with the devices I care about.

and BTW: Just like windows media center there are plug-ins for iTunes and even one which plays FLAC although I still think its 1/2 baked. I dont recommend using it.

Sean

Yes, I think you're right; it was the AirFoil (admittedly, I'm not an iGuy). Please, let's not turn this into another SB vs. whatever. In my experience, and IMO, the SB and Sonos are second to none, because they are the only solutions I know of that can be run headless...and IMO, having to turn a monitor on to listen to music is unacceptable. Also, they offer the widest codec support, and application options (Rhapsody, Pandora, etc.).

If Apple offers solutions like this, then you're welcome to post your experience and opinions about that. Like it or not, while Apple is wildly popular, there are those that aren't really on board, and find the Apple universe to be too closed and controlled. You don't care about FLAC, OK; maybe the OP does. This whole notion of "well, be careful what you say...because newbies might take it to be some kind of absolute truth" is to treat other members like they're idiots. I'm sure the OP can make up his own mind.

CD

·
Registered
4,276 Posts

Quote:
"This whole notion of "well, be careful what you say...because newbies might take it to be some kind of absolute truth" is to treat other members like they're idiots.

The only absolute truths stated were by you. Whether the the newbies beleive it is up to them. I just think it makes your posts less useful and credible which is a shame because you have a lot of experience and insight to share.

Sean

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
With Airplay, the ATV and Airport express are now in fact headless and do not require the PC to be on and running iTunes. You stream directly from media stored on your iTouch/Phone/Pad including apps from Pandora and LastFM...with more to follow AND third party support from Marantz,Pio, and Yammy on the way as Airplay Clients. It's been shown there's a lot of storage space inside the new ATV as well so maybe the inclusion of local media storage at some point....who knows. My iTouch has PLENTY of memory for a decent on the spot collection playback but it's really no big deal to fire up iTunes to access my catalogue when needed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.