AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Guys,

I've finally decided on the Gallo Reference 3.5 towers for my music system and will be adding the stradas for the rears and centers over the next couple of months. My idea is to slowly build a system that will last me for quite some time - so will prefer not to do any short term moves around on this one.

Music/Movies - 80/20

I was looking at using a AVR that was reasonably future proof and then adding the emotiva xpa2s to drive the L/R and let the AVR drive the center/subs and rear

I was offered a good deal on a denon 3311 - was getting a denon 2010BD player free along with it. Open to Onkyos/Denon/Marantz AV receivers. Setup will never exceed a 5.1.

What do you guys suggest? I'm a newbie. But have the patience to build a much better setup that will last me for a while.

Budget for the AVR - 500 - 800$, but can be increased if it holds back the system.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not going to be buying a 3D TV, but my general observation is that AVRs that come with HDMI 1.4a support tend to carry more updated softwares on em.

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse /forum/post/19598504

Do you need/want 3D video passthrough support?

·
Registered
2,421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverhick /forum/post/19600684

Not going to be buying a 3D TV, but my general observation is that AVRs that come with HDMI 1.4a support tend to carry more updated softwares on em.

In that case, the Pioneer Vsx32 is a pretty decent and fairly affordable 3D solution (Roughly $600). The reason I'd recommend the 32 vs. the non-Elite nearly identical twin system, the Pioneer 1120, is the fact that the Vsx32 has the 12v trigger you'll need for the amp. Other than that, they're identical.

What "updated softwares" are you looking for, specifically? Perhaps knowing that will help us figure out which features you find important...

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
I won't opine on newest software issues, but to use outboard amps, you need preamp level outputs. In the Denon line, these don't exist below the 3311 which is like 1200 MSRP. I have not looked at the street prices lately, and do not know about other manufacturers. But it does seem that preamp outs end up on higher priced units in general

·
Registered
2,421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHAz /forum/post/0

I won't opine on newest software issues, but to use outboard amps, you need preamp level outputs. In the Denon line, these don't exist below the 3311 which is like 1200 MSRP. I have not looked at the street prices lately, and do not know about other manufacturers. But it does seem that preamp outs end up on higher priced units in general

The Pioneers I suggested both have pre-outs for less than $600...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts