AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in a small apartment but would like a decent and upgradable home theater setup for music, movies, and games. I am currently looking at the Micca MB42X but I am open to other suggestions in the $100 and under price range.

I know I will also need a receiver and have been looking at the Yamaha R-S201BL. I just want to be able to connect my Playstation 3 to my television and control the volume via a universal remote. Any other suggestions in the $100 - $150 range are welcome, and I am open to refurbished units.

I would like to also have the option of adding a subwoofer in the near future, and therefore the speakers don't need to have a whole lot of bass. My concern however is the lack of space that I will be able to provide the speakers. The max I can reasonably do is about 45" - 50" apart for the book shelf speakers. I'm just trying to avoid a sound bar option and leave myself room to expand, however a 5.1 setup will not be necessary at any point. I will just use this receiver for my room and buy a second later on when I have a nicer house with no room mates. Thank you and I apologize if I have posted something that is answered all over, I have tried to do my research beforehand.

·
Registered
6,974 Posts
I hear they are decent little speakers, the new version with updated crossover made a big difference. You could also keep an eye out for some Pioneer BS22, they regularly go on sale for $90-100 and would be a step up in my opinion. If you live near a Frys, they often have some crazy specials on the Infinity Primus speakers, and a pair of P163s would be a great choice. Used is also a good path for people just starting out, you can post your local Craigslist and we can browse through.

For a receiver, I would recommend going with a HT receiver. They will do everything a stereo receiver does, but give you bass management and room correction. You mention adding a sub in the future, so being able to properly configure it is valuable, and not a feature you will find on stereo receivers in your price range. Since you also have a PS3, HDMI will be helpful and let you take advantage of the HD audio formats associated with Blu Ray. I would also recommend Craigslist, you can generally find a relatively new receiver for around what you want to pay, and will get a lot more bang for your buck.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your response, it is greatly appreciated. Unfortunately living in rural Mississippi the best I can do locally is BestBuy, and craigslist isn't coming up with much. I have been browsing accessories4less.com looking to snag a good deal.

Of the receivers that you mentioned are there any standout options? I don't know much about receives but I know HDMI would be useful, as would the ability to control everything from bed via a remote.

I forgot to mention, my floor is carpeted. Would it be a good idea to sit the subwoofer on an upside down tile or something similar?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I am sold on the Fluance SX6-BK bookshelf speakers, now comes the question of which amplifier to pair them with. Preferably under $200 - $250 and if I can find a warrantied factory refurbished option I'm definitely open to that also.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That looks like it would work well, now all I need to find are some reasonably priced short speaker stands that are wide enough. Anyone know of a good place to find some? I'd rather not spend more for the stands than for the speakers, hah.

·
Premium Member
7,789 Posts
I would just get some of the Sanus SF (steel foundation stands) series stands or similar. You can order them on Amazon. I would choose a height that will place the tweeters at ear level.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Judging by my cardboard mockups I may not need stands, just some isolation mounting techniques. I ordered my Fluant SX6-BK speakers just now, found a $25 off coupon code online and free shipping through the manufacturer website so I'm happy.

I know I'll be ordering the receiver soon, and more than likely the subwoofer Friday. Looking at the BIC America F12.

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawlsey  /t/1520306/budget-bedroom-2-0#post_24424235

Judging by my cardboard mockups I may not need stands, just some isolation mounting techniques. I ordered my Fluant SX6-BK speakers just now, found a $25 off coupon code online and free shipping through the manufacturer website so I'm happy.

I know I'll be ordering the receiver soon, and more than likely the subwoofer Friday. Looking at the BIC America F12.

What's your sub budget? One of the very experienced AVS members has reported that these Mordaunt Short Aviano 7s have excellent SQ . This NXG NX-BAS-500 is another very popular choice, and both of these would be a good step up over the BIC in SQ.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ideally I would like something in the $150 - $200 range and front firing, in a black cabinet. However this is a purchase that I will be making after I evaluate the SX6-BK

1 - 10 of 10 Posts