AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're coming into the home stretch on finishing our basement, but its cost several thousand more then anticipated so I'm looking for a budget projector. I'm new to projectors, but after researching the costs vs a large 60" flat screen, it was a no brainer. Id initially intended togo with a Mitsubishi HC4000 as its talked about here as a great picture, etc.

However, it might not be the best projector if used outside occasionally due to lumen output. So I came to the conclusion this evening, why not look for a sub $500 projector, used if need be that's significantly brighter. Obviously going used I'll be sacrificing some picture quality due to the age of technology, but with the advent of 3D and LED, I'm not sure sure I wouldn't be better off waiting another year or so anyway to buy a permanent projector.

Just looking for advice on a cheap projector that would fill a big screen in the backyard and look better then something you'd find in a hotel conference room.

Thanks,

Dave

·
Registered
JVC RS3100 | Benq HT9050 | MADVR w/ RTX 3080| 130in 2.35:1 | 5.2.2
5,936 Posts
They an Optoma GT750, it has a long lamp hour of 5000 in Eco mode and its very high in lumens. I use the Optoma GT720 and I use it everywhere. In my room, my main theater, and outside. My outside screen is a 220in and it shows up great. In my bed room I project 84in on my wall. It very portable at around 5lbs. Plus, it 3D, well the GT720 needs extra hardware, but the GT750 doesn't. The GT750 comes out in about 2 weeks. Also, its a short throw, so you can get a huge image in less feet than most.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Hard to give advice on this. Something like an Epson 8350 is very good and quite bright, but above a thousand. I see rainbows like mad, so no DLP for me. You could get a 2000+lumen xga business procector for $100-200 used that would be great outdoors, but not what you would want in the basement and plan to replace it in a year.

CEIDA is in a couple of weeks, replacements for most current models will be announced. If you decide to go with something current, wait and hear what is announced. Assume street prices similar to what this years models have, but with a step up in technology or a drop in prices by a bit for the same level of technolgy/spec. once the projectors are readily available.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.