AVS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I've recently moved to Chicago from Florida and have significantly less space in my apartment, so I'd like to put together a 2-channel bookshelf setup. I have about $500 to spend at the moment and would primarily be using this setup for music via streaming to my Amazon Fire TV via Spotify and possibly a turntable in the future. I've never put together a 2-channel setup, so I don't really know what I need or what would be the most efficient setup. As far as speakers go I was thinking about something like the Klipsch Synergy B-20's, but I am obviously giving those of you with more experience and knowledge the right of way in recommendations as I don't have my heart set on anything. I wouldn't consider myself an audiophile by any means, but I would like for the setup to fill the room I'm in (~10'x12') with sound and it will be placed in a shelving unit, so the smaller the footprint of the components the better.

By the way, forgive me if I've placed this in the incorrect section as I'm new to the forums and this seemed like the most appropriate place.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
For shelf mounting make sure you get a speaker that is front ported. Aside from that spend as much as you can on speakers.

Another option is look at the used market. I sold a like new pair of Paradigm Studio 10s bookshelf speakers to a fellow AVSer for 450 bucks. In short, get as much speaker as you can.

·
Registered
22,225 Posts
I'd buy a Sony STR-DH130 receiver for about $150 (90 x 2) and a pair of PSB Alpha B1's for around $300/pair.

The receiver is not a "smart" design so you'd have to send signals to it via a mini plug or a dock.

Does not have a phono stage so if you got a TT you'd have to get a phono amp.

But for $500 you'd be quite pleased I would imagine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, thanks for the quick replies, guys. Looks like I got some food for thought! I really like the look of that Denon receiver and as for the speakers, I think the PSB's have caught my eye most. I'll look into all of these a little more.

·
Premium Member
7,287 Posts

·
Registered
9,098 Posts
but I would like for the setup to fill the room I'm in (~10'x12') with sound and it will be placed in a shelving unit,
Thanks!
Bookshelf speakers are a bit of a misnomer as most in this category aren't intended to be placed in confines but rather a free air space. Mass load the shelves with tons of books, choose a sealed or front ported design for optimal sound, put them as far forward on the shelf as possible and place the tweeters at ear level when sitting.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Serious budget? As in, spend as little as needed and still sound good? BestBuy allows damage-free returns within 15days.

That said, their house-brand Insignia offers a 2-way, front-ported, bass-reflex "bookshelf" for about $70.00/pair, often on sale for $50.00.
They are real sleepers. Excellent build quality, a true crossover assembly inside, and; sound sweeeeet. Very little on the 'net about these, as the stores do not push them at all, as there are bigger margins with the name-brands. That plus zero cachet to say Insignia vs Klipsch.

Give a pair a try for a week or so, you'll be glad you did.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would also consider the following:

KEF Q100 (see accessories4less.com for deals)
Ascend Acoustics CBM-170SE (not a "looker" but very good SQ for the money,)
Monitor Audio Bronze BX-1 ($278 at Audio Advisor)
Chane A1rx-c, $300
Emptek R5Bi, $225
Man, those A1's have gotten rave reviews everywhere I've looked. It seems like it'd be real hard to go wrong with them.

Bookshelf speakers are a bit of a misnomer as most in this category aren't intended to be placed in confines but rather a free air space. Mass load the shelves with tons of books, choose a sealed or front ported design for optimal sound, put them as far forward on the shelf as possible and place the tweeters at ear level when sitting.
This is good to know, thanks! I'm hoping that once I get settled at my job and move into a bigger place I'll be able to put whatever speakers I go with up on stands in a better space.

Also, I came across the NAD D 3020 amp while looking at the Chane A1 review over at Cnet and, while it would put me well over my original budget of $500, I think it would be perfect for what I need it for. Any thoughts/experiences with that unit?

·
Registered
22,225 Posts
Also, I came across the NAD D 3020 amp while looking at the Chane A1 review over at Cnet and, while it would put me well over my original budget of $500, I think it would be perfect for what I need it for. Any thoughts/experiences with that unit?
I've owned NAD receivers for years.

My original 30 year old 2 channel receiver is still going strong and I use it every day to play music from my computer.

The sophisticated Home Theater Receiver I bought 15 years ago failed at 10 years...the failures were on the digital inputs and then finally the audio inputs.

I replaced it with a Denon and, to be honest, the Denon sounds much better at 1/3 the price.

The NAD is a neat idea if you need Bluetooth but Denon offers smart receivers for less money with far more power.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've owned NAD receivers for years.

My original 30 year old 2 channel receiver is still going strong and I use it every day to play music from my computer.

The sophisticated Home Theater Receiver I bought 15 years ago failed at 10 years...the failures were on the digital inputs and then finally the audio inputs.

I replaced it with a Denon and, to be honest, the Denon sounds much better at 1/3 the price.

The NAD is a neat idea if you need Bluetooth but Denon offers smart receivers for less money with far more power.
I currently have a Yamaha RX-V663 that I've been trying to get rid of that I could use in the meantime, the only problem is its size. I saw Denon had the PMA-50 that is comparable to the D3020, but it's a bit more pricey. I like these units because of their small footprint and aesthetic.

·
Registered
937 Posts
If you're just looking for 2 channel bookshelf then don't get an avr. Get an integrated or good stereo receiver. You'll get much better sound. The PSB Alpha B1's would be a good choice. You could do something like the NAD 3020 and the Pioneer BS22's then upgrade the speakers down the road. Those BS22's are surprisingly good imo.

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
While I know what it is to be broke, today ... $500 is a lean budget.

If you want adequate bass, then you need bookshelf speakers that have at least 6.5" bass drivers.

Infinity Primus P163 ($86/each)-

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_108P163BK/Infinity-Primus-P163.html?tp=186

Yamaha AS301 Stereo Integrated amp, 60w/ch, DAC-Optical+Coaxial, Sub out, PHONO in, ($350) -

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_022AS301B/Yamaha-A-S301.html?tp=34948

As alternate -

Yamaha R-S300 Receiver, AM/FM, 50w/ch, Sub Out, Phono In, ($280) -

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_022RS300/Yamaha-R-S300.html?tp=47041

Direct from POLK AUDIO through Ebay, there are some good deals to be had.

I won't bother to list them, but definitely do check out the links below -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Polk-Audio-...178?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item541a21000a

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Polk-Audio-...924?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item541d6f8214

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Polk-Audio-...283?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5b0d51f2ab

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Polk-Audio-...125?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35d46d9165

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Polk-Audio-...862?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5b02635b86

Steve/bluewizard

1 - 15 of 15 Posts