AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two objectives here. The first is to get some decent sound to replace my Vizio TV's pitiful speakers. I want to be able to hear voices and music clearly - too often I have to pump the volume on this TV when it's all dialog, and then I have to drop it way low when music comes on during movies - I think the voice range is really weak on the internals.

The second objective is to get some speakers I'll be happy with for my future surround system, whenever I have the cash to get it. Perhaps I can use the speakers I buy now as rear speakers in the future.

I figured I'd get a cheap stereo amplifier for now instead of a cheap 5.1 or 7.1 receiver to get more bang for the buck as I won't be using any surround features for a while, and I'll want to replace a cheap receiver anyway when I upgrade to a full sound experience.

I'm looking for bookshelf speaker and stereo receiver/amp recommendations - total budget is about $250 (wish it was more, but that's the way it is!). It would be smarter to spend more on the speakers since I plan to continue using them in the future.

Can anyone help? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Check on Amazon, there are quite a few "Home Theater Systems" listed in your price range. That is where I would start.

Mike

·
Registered
189 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tectonic /forum/post/15593919

I'm looking for bookshelf speaker and stereo receiver/amp recommendations - total budget is about $250 (wish it was more, but that's the way it is!). It would be smarter to spend more on the speakers since I plan to continue using them in the future.

You can find a decent AVR for $159 from A4L (Factory reconditioned)

Onkyo TXSR506

http://www.accessories4less.com/make...-SILVER/1.html

I have not heard the Energy speakers, but they seem to be pretty popular and well received. Energy C-100 Bookshelf Speakers $118

http://www.amazon.com/Energy-C-100-B...2384103&sr=1-3

That would put you at $277, and would be the start of a pretty good budget system.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts