Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I've been wanting to move my equipment from the back of the room to a double closet in the same room. Cable runs to projector and speakers will be easier to this closet. The closet is double wide 4'11", and 2' deep, standard height. Closet has 2 conventional swinging doors.

I'd like to dedicate 1/2 the closet, 1 door space, to my equipment, where I could either shut the door and hide everything, or possibly install some glass window so I could still view equipment status, etc, etc...

I want easy access to the rear of the equipment, so something that swings like a door, or a stand that is on wheels that I can move and rotate would be nice.

I dont really have the tools to build anything, but the initial idea was to build a rack (simple wood frame, adjustable racks like those used for simple shelves in garages) and then mount this to the closets back wall with door hinges so the whole thing can swing open to reveal the rear. That's sorta what Im looking for. Or a stand/rack, up to 7' tall to fill up the door space, would be nice, on wheels, would have the same effect.

Im looking for ideas, links, pics, etc that would satisfy this general idea.

Almost forgot. As the subject suggests, Im not interested in those $1000 A/V racks, the concept yes, but not the price.

Thanks,

Mark

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I used 2x4 lumber to build my rack in the wall. The rough dims are 21"w x 24"d x 60"h. I then shimmed and faced the 2x4 frame with 1/2" oak plywood on sides, 1/4" on top and 3/4" on bottom. (wood costs about $50 at Lowes/HD).

I was able to get it all straight to about 1/8" -which isn't bad.

I wanted the ability to adjust my shelves so I decided to drill holes vertically to hang those small plugs that hold the shelves (sorry for the poor grammar, I've been up too late mudding!).

Create a hole template by using a thin piece of lumber about 2"w x 60"h and drill evenly spaced vertical 1/8"? holes every 2 to 4" apart (I used a spare horizontal blind from shortening a blind).

Shelves are made of same 1/2" oak plywood and can hold the equipment just fine. You can get some 1/2" round wood trim to finish the rough side of the shelf.

I still need to build the glass door.

I will post pics soon to view.

Jasman

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jasman,

Does this have the ability to rotate or slide out for rear access? Everyone loves pics, Ill be looking for them.

Thanks,

Mark

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Mark, is there any way you could access the rear without moving the rack? Maybe install a small door in the back wall; what's behind the closet?

I installed my rack in the side of a closet, so I have side rear access. See pix. (I know, I need better pix)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I did something similar using the elfa system we picked up at The Container Store. We used about 1/3 of the closet for the equipment, and used the same system to create quite a bit of DVD storage. For the equipment, I used one of the wide low profile drawer systems on casters for the receiver, and several shelves above that for the rest of the components. The shelves are completely adjustable, and the casters on the drawer unit make it easy to get behind the receiver to make and change connections. It's nice having the drawers for cables, manuals, etc. For the DVDs, I simply used the shallower shelves.

I can't post links yet, but you can find all this on the container store website (containerstore.com, just click on the big elfa pic).

(I don't have any pictures yet.)

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for all the ideas, it's helping. I started to think if I could just find a rotating base, upon wich I could place just about anything, I'd be set.

I came across these guys, who offer 2 sized TV swivel bases rated to 1000 lbs

http://www.decibeldesigns.com/tvswivelbases.htm

The smaller one seems to be a perfect size, 24" wide. On top of this I was thinking of getting on of those white particle board type sheving units you see at Lowes or The Home Depot. They usually have holes drilled on the sides for shelf placement, and come in different sizes.

What do you think?

GE also makes 2 smaller less expensive swivel bases.
http://www.buy.com/retail/electronic...6&loc=111&sp=1

These can be had for about $20 shipped. But the Decibel Designs version seems a better buy, and safer for my purposes.

Mark

·
Registered
778 Posts
I've bought some plastic TV rotating "lazy suzan" things that are rated for 300lbs at Big Lots in black plastic.

It works great for my 32" TV and might work for a piece of AV equipment. :)

Very similar to the ones linked above but for about $7 each.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Mark,

Do the particle board shelves have enough air circulation? You don't want heat building up. Is your closet not deep enough to give access behind a rack. I have enough space behind mine to get to wiring even though it's a little bit of a squeeze. It's still much easier than trying to change wiring inside an entertainment system cabinet. UGH!

I have pictures of my system rack at home and will try to post them this evening.

Gary

·
Registered
275 Posts
I believe you can find steel swivel bases (the raw ball-bearing mounts) at Home Depot or Lowes. I can't find them on their web site at the moment, however. I'll keep my eyes open at the store and try to get a part number.

·
Registered
149 Posts
My closet rack is about the height of the door, or a little taller. I don't think it would have any room to swivel without hitting the door facing. I put it as close to the door as possible to leave a little room in the back. I was also concerned about stability and would think that a lazy susan would need to be very well made to rotate a tall weight safely.

Gary

·
Registered
149 Posts
Mark,

I've uploaded a picture of my rack in the gallery section. I bought two smaller units and combined them to make the rack. I think the cost was around $350-400 for the racks.

Please look at my home theater photos as well. It was a DIY job from start to finish and I'm extremely proud of the results.

Good luck with your system.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Guys,

here is another link to a slew of rotating swiveling bases. I think i know what Im going to do at this point. There will be a 2 part (top and bottom) setup, and I will rotate only the top part where the equipment will be. I think I do have enough room to get behind the rack w/o rotating, so that will be an option as well.

http://store.electrogalaxy.com/audio...urntables.html

Mark

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, here is an almost finished product. Shelving comes from Lowes. The top and bottom pieces are about $25 each. The 10" deep drawer was about $20, the bottom doors about $17. The 300 lb GE rotating 16" base $10. So this was about $100, less if you dont need drawers and doors. There are many options on doors, shelves, little cubby thing you can get, etc for this setup. Takes just minutes to put this all together.

I made it a bit short when making it fit under the door frame, so I will probably place this all on top of a base shelf on the floor. Also need to square it up a bit. These rack are leaning a bit.

These units are 25" wide x ~16" deep. This rotates very smoothly, even stops itself just slightly where it should... I think becuase it's been sitting in that position the longest.

http://www.marksink.com/EquipmentRack/

Mark

·
Registered
284 Posts
I'm going to be building my equipment rack in a bump-out under the 1st floor fire place. I'd prefer to build a rack out of wood that works much like the highly over priced racks that slide on rails vs swivel. I may even combine to two.

I see many swivel products but no rail systems. I have found some strong drawer slides that extend 26" but that doesn't seem like enough. I have no problem with a solution that requires a removable rail that the rack slides out onto.

Anyone know someplace that sells that type of hardware???

·
Registered
174 Posts
I bought a network relay rack (standard 42U 19" equipment rack) that companies use in network closets. With the rails and shelves (3 shelves) it was about $125. I went to HD and bought some casters and put on the bottom. I have it in a closet in the hallway with the wiring running to the theater. Works great and holds a ton of equipment and easy to turn around. I would post a pic but my digital camera is broken. I bought it a few years ago and can't remember where but similar to this:

http://www.rackmountsolutions.net/Re...k_Aluminum.asp

With the shelves, vented or slide out you can put just about any type of equipment in it. It is also great for mounting wiring brackets from companies like Leviton.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.