Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello...

I'm currently a digital owner and I must say the 10+ ft screen thread caught my attention. I figured that I'd run around ebay and see what used crts are running. I've read about the marquee 8000 so that was kind of my base judge. I can get that for $5000 pretty easily but I was looking on ebay for the $500 range.

Hehehe...

I noticed some commons (barco 800 series, sony 1000/1200 series, and electrohome ecp-4000 series). From what I understand, the sony 1272 is supposed to be a pretty good projector.

What are you thoughts about the lower priced crts? I'm not looking to spend $15k on a 9500lc, so keep that to yourself. Also, what is the lamp life for crt? My x1 is rated at 4000 hours and I thought that was insane, but I hear people talking about 8000 hours on crts. It also seems that crt tubes are a lot less expensive than lamps for digital projectors (like 3x$50 vs $400).

JJ

Edit...

Also, it seems that a lot of people are talking about bandwidth vs resolution. I would be using a htpc (preferrably running [email protected]). Will this class of projector handle that? The 8000 is rated for 2500x2000, I think, and I know some others are 1600x1200 and 1280x1024, so I assume that 1280x720 is no problem, at least with the $5000 projectors.

JJ

Edit2...

I would mostly be using it for watching dvd's, ripped movies, and analog cable (all through the htpc).

JJ

·
Registered
412 Posts
Curt's CRT primer will answer many of your questions. CRT Primer

·
Registered
197 Posts
don't know that you will find too much in that price range...but its possible.

Your best buy would probably be to buy a good intro unit like an ampro 2000 or EPC series projector from one of the forum tech guys or sponsors.

I know you can get both of the above mentioned pj's for under $1,000 probably closer to $750. And I think almost everyone here would agree that the extra $250 bucks to have one of those guys go through it, fix things and verify that the tubes are still in good shape...is well worth it.

Just a suggestion...but risking $500 on ebay for something that may or may not work vs. $750 for one that someone (who knows what they are doing) has looked at and will stand behind w/ a warranty and will help down the road if you need it, seems like a better deal.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
maneuen...

That's a good point. Are you referring to the marketplace, or do one/more of the companies advertised at the top do used/refurbs? I've been to c r t cinema.com, that's where I got the $5k 8000/8500 pricing.

JJ

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
I think your missing a zero off your crt tube price, but don't let that worry you, 10000 hours is a LONG TIME.

I'm certainly no expert, but from what I hear, ever with replacing bulbs, you be lucky to get more than 5000 hours from a digital projector anyway - they aren't built to last like crt's.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I know that Curt ([email protected]) and Terry ([email protected]) both sell refurbed units. I got my 9500LC from GN2 (low_76"at"yahoo.com he always has something interesting ) I know that I missing some folks. Tim Martin always has great Ehome units, but I think they may be out of your price range.

·
Registered
197 Posts
there are a few forum members who are tech's that refurbish and sell used projectors.

Curt

Terry

and others....(I'm very sorry if I don't know others names...this is not a Curt and Terry commercial)

I'm sure you can ask around and just about everyone on the forum can confirm that they are stand up guys who stand behind their sales.

IMHO these guys offer the best deal for a solid pj.

there will always be sweet deals to be had, but it may be a crap shoot as to whether the projector will turn out to be worth it or not.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
here is a list of bargain crt projectors not all will

fall into your 500$$$$ budget

9 inch tubed projectors

sony 1292

nec 10 pg

ampro 4600

ampro 4000

barco 1609

barco 1000 1001 1101 1500 1609

8 inch tubed projectors

Mitsubishi 1281 1282

ampro 3600

nec xg electrohome 8000 8500

7 inch and under tubed projector

sony 1031 1272 1252 1270

nec 9pg 6pg

ecp

ebay super lens and 13 inch tv

XANATOS

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Doing some searches on the $10 sony bulbs that I saw on ebay, it seems that they are sd-187 which is a a 5.5" bulb that are used in sony 1000 series projectors. I've heard some good things about the 1030/1031. If bulbs for these are

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
The sweeter the deal, the more crap it will be unless it's from a forum member. Any $500 marquee is going to be a parts machine forget that idea. I should know, I'm one of the fools that keeps buying the sad burned up $500 deals.

Attached pic is what you get for $500 or so for a higher end machine. You get tubes burnt so bad it's not useable.

sd-187's are ES focus tubes, many machines can do higher resolutions up to 800x600 and a little more with them but they are not really bright and not for a 10' screen that you mention it just won't cut it for that.

Troy

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
doubleJ,

Used tube prices are highly variable on condition and the type of tube. 7" Electrostatic focused (the older method of focusing) are usually cheaper than 8" Electromagnetic focused tubes (the newer method of focusing). $500 is generally what you would pay for a "new" rebuilt 8" EM tube. Oh and you generally don't have to replace all three CRTs. Blue and Green wear signficantly faster than Red.

statsec

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm wondering, though...

If you could get an 8000/8500 for even $1000, and the tubes were beyond use, wouldn't a new set of $1500 tubes still be better than buying the whole thing used for $5000, or am I missing something completely?

Just so you know, the $500 pricepoint isn't really the issue. I figure that $2000-$5000 would be general for a good used crt. I just thought the bulb replacement was a much better value. It doesn't seem to be that way, though. Not only are you spending more for the projector, you're spending more for the bulbs. I've never really seen a crt in action, but for the common guy (remember that I'm using an x1) is there really THAT much difference?

Also, the size of the screen isn't the issue, either, that's just what got me thinking. I'm shooting 74" 16:9 with my x1. It would be really cool to do lifesize movies (like I saw in the 10+ ft thread) and I assume that crt's will be needed for the resolution improvements. I could be wrong about everything, too.

Hehehe...

One last point that I thought about. If you get a used crt with fresh bulbs, you could probably go 5 years without having to replace them. I don't know how much value that would put into the mix. I know crt's aren't meant for value, but it's always nice to get the bang for the buck.

JJ

·
Registered
197 Posts
I may be able to add a little more perspective.

1) you will not get a great looking 10+ ft screen from a low end (ie 7" or under 1k) crt. but then again you won't get a great 10+ picture from your x1 either.

I have an ampro 2000g ....good specs, but certainly one of the most inexpensive crts to get (that will handle higher resolutions...ie sony 1031q won't w/o adjusting the timings...that a story for later)

My screen is only 85", but it looks much better than an x1 :)

my friend has an x1 that I helped him install and he's still blown away by my crt (which I paid $425 for).

Refer to Curts guide for longer answers,

but if you have a light controlled room and don't mind learning / tweaking to get the crt setup...the the crt is the way to go.

also, sony 07ms tubes (ampro & ECP tubes are $295 from VDC) vs. $500

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
maneuen...

vdc?

Also, I'm not expecting 10' out of a $500 pj. That's just what got me interested. It would be cool, every now and then to show a freaking huge movie.

On an interesting sidenote, the 10'+ thread had a link to an x1 pushing 10'x20' outdoors. I may just have to try it for the sake of trying it.

JJ

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
"If you could get an 8000/8500 for even $1000, and the tubes were beyond use, wouldn't a new set of $1500 tubes still be better than buying the whole thing used for $5000, or am I missing something completely?"

Yes. you're missing that the $5000 price is too high and others here can sell one to you for little more than the cost of the burned buy and new tubes cost. Plus replacing tubes is not as easy as putting a bulb in a flashlight pj. It takes some serious skill to install and properly set up new tubes.

If you want to tinker, you can go that route. figure in an additional $500 for unexpected things gone wrong and don't forget the shipping. If you want a good pj that actually works you'd be better off taking a look at curt and others prices again and see the value in their service and warranty.

Don't try to do a big screen with a little crt. You'll need an 8" or 9". A little 5.5" - 7" es focus machine will look more than a bit soft (poor focus) and dim on a 10' screen.

Troy

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
No 1. For every one of those 15 cent hours, you will be drooling on the floor. Buy a bucket.

No 2. I seriously doubt that your X1 bulb will keep it's colour for the full 4000 hrs (but crt's wear gradually too, loosing their brightness).

No 3. They are tubes not bulbs. Like a TV tube. Bulbs are what you put in a flashlight (I mean a torch, not a digital projector this time).

No 4. I think you are underestimating the cost of a good CRT pj. I'm not in the US, but I think $1500 is a more realistic budget. Remember these things were $20000+ when new.

No 5. The maximum res's quoted in spec sheets are not realistic. From a 7" Em focus machine like a NEC PG series, you can resolve 1280x720.

8" machine like a NEC XG or a Sony G70 you can resolve higher like 1440x816, or 1440x960.

Some 9" machines will resolve 1920x1080.

There are no Marquee's in Australia so I cannot comment on them.

No 6. THEY ARE NOT PLUG AND PLAY. Be prepared to learn A LOT.

No 7. Refer to No 1 (and No 6).

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
pc/mark...

I'm getting your point. Apparently, my pricing was quite a bit off. Normally, when you have "official" people selling, they juice the hardware, but while juicing the price, or they add a bunch of stuff to simulate "value". If you really could step into an 8500 with fresh tubes for $1500-$2500 and those tubes would last for 5 years, then the value could be there after all. I was looking at it from the standpoint of spending $5000 and having to replace the bulbs a couple of years down the road as they are used, too. Then you're looking at $6500 in 5 years as opposed to $1500 in 5 years for my current dlp.

And I know they are tubes. I just didn't realize it was such a sensative point.

Hehehe...

I also didn't realize that much work would be involved in replacement. A lamp for my x1 is like replacing the headlight of a car. I assumed crt would be the same.

JJ

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
I'm not sensitive about the name :)

It's just that when you start asking your next round of more informed, more specific questions, you will get better answers if you use the correct terms.

People will take you a bit more seriously then - not that we aren't now, we realise this is your very first foray into the analog world....

And it's not about cost, it's about obsession - try and organise a demo....if you dare....

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.