AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 1053 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokarz /forum/post/20817391


awesome, looking forward to the build.


can you do me a favor and measure the length from back to front with the apt-50 mounted?


i am hoping to build a box with an 8" internal depth. thanks


yup, slightly under 6 1/4" so an 8 inch external depth is cutting it close, it will be fine on the angled face tho.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,625 Posts
I would use the Selenium D220ti over the APT-50 compression driver. It's $40 more for the pair but probably worth it if within budget. Plus, there is already a crossover designed for the Eminence 10" coaxial & D220ti combo that would probably work well with the 8" coaxial as well.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by coctostan /forum/post/20817625


Are you using stock Eminence crossovers? I'd be interested in seeing measurements if you have the ability. Assuming the xover's do a good job, this could be a nice budget setup.

Yep, I will definitely run some sweeps with a pair in stereo once they are all done. hopefully this week sometime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZ Eddie /forum/post/20817858


I would use the Selenium D220ti over the APT-50 compression driver. It's $40 more for the pair but probably worth it if within budget. Plus, there is already a crossover designed for the Eminence 10" coaxial & D220ti combo that would probably work well with the 8" coaxial as well.

these are the 10" coaxials that I have. I would be willing to go ahead and order a pair of the seleniums and the other crossovers if you provide the link and as stated below, they are threaded properly? if the seleniums and their respective crossovers are able to drop the xover point to 2000hz then I really think they will do a better job matching up with the FR of the midrange driver...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian /forum/post/20817875


Ahh.. not a bad idea. Are the threads the same size for the Selenium? Could it be used in the coaxial configuration or would one have to use a horn with it too? Part of the appeal was the compactness of it being coax and not 'needing' a horn.


Got a link to that particular crossover, CZ? That would be helpful.

Yep, I wouldnt run the selenium unless it connects directly to the coaxial
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,995 Posts
It was Zilch who did the 220i/Coax XO for a guy doing some type of art show and they tried both the APT and 220i, Here's the thread and there's a LOT of good info in it.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi...r-cabinet.html


In the end, while the builder/user was happy, the designer wasn't overly 'thrilled' with the performance for music BUT for surround duty, i think it's and EXCELLENT option. Good luck with the design and if done properly could be staple for matching to high efficiency mains in a X.1 system. I would think that a slanted baffle, high wall ceiling mount would be a good option. The eminence coax driver isn't nearly as efficient as the CD and will need as much help in the LF department without loosing efficiency to BSC so proper integration/mounting is key. Now it's also important to remember what 'plagues' the performance of a coax is the mating of the CD to the waveguide that in this case is the cone itself. In order to achieve bass extension, the cone is going to have to move air and the more the cone moves, the worse the diffraction artifacts from the CD to the cone. Damned if you do and Damned if you don't so be mindfull of how much bass you expect outta these. Might be best to even add a midbass/subwoofer somewhere to relieve the Coax's of sub 100hz content all together.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokarz /forum/post/20818109


i'll be interested in this d220ti combo as well.


my current mains have the d220ti crossed at 1.2khz

with the selenium it would mesh well with your crites. If the 220 is able to operate down to 1.2khz, it would definitely increase the value of building these surrounds as the APT and xover only rolls down to 3.5khz. I feel the mid will be better suited with a lower xover point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic /forum/post/20818187


can you run them not in stereo away from all boundaries and gated? That would offer a better idea of FR.

my backyard is gated.



ill run them GP if im able to work out the logistics, im pretty sure I can accomplish it with a few extension cords but i would still be concerned with the noise issue as I have an interstate too close by to get a decent low level noise floor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem13 /forum/post/20818483


It was Zilch who did the 220i/Coax XO for a guy doing some type of art show and they tried both the APT and 220i, Here's the thread and there's a LOT of good info in it.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi...r-cabinet.html


In the end, while the builder/user was happy, the designer wasn't overly 'thrilled' with the performance for music BUT for surround duty, i think it's and EXCELLENT option. Good luck with the design and if done properly could be staple for matching to high efficiency mains in a X.1 system. I would think that a slanted baffle, high wall ceiling mount would be a good option. The eminence coax driver isn't nearly as efficient as the CD and will need as much help in the LF department without loosing efficiency to BSC so proper integration/mounting is key. Now it's also important to remember what 'plagues' the performance of a coax is the mating of the CD to the waveguide that in this case is the cone itself. In order to achieve bass extension, the cone is going to have to move air and the more the cone moves, the worse the diffraction artifacts from the CD to the cone. Damned if you do and Damned if you don't so be mindfull of how much bass you expect outta these. Might be best to even add a midbass/subwoofer somewhere to relieve the Coax's of sub 100hz content all together.

i might start my own Co.!!! haha Bstyle speakers



while sub 100hz content would be great to get out of these, my main concern pertaining to the design is to match well with any compression driver'd mains. Seems the market is a little thin for something like this in a small "surround" form on a budget level. I wouldnt dream of making these work for musical presentations but the whole cab built at a sensitivity over 100db's is what appeals to me.


Id love to figure out a good (better) way to mate the CD to the driver so that as excursion of the woofer increases, there is a better way to quell the diffraction. not sure how i would accomplish this without separating the compenents but ill put my mind to it. Just thinking, if you had a decent distance between the CD and the woofer to allow a stagnant surface, the performance would likely only be detrimental at the outskirts of the CD's usable dispersion. wow, i just blacked out from all that technical talk!


back to the point, even at 100hz up, these with a slanted baffle should build their own nitch for many of the folks with high efficiency mains.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26,476 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio /forum/post/20818768


Id love to figure out a good (better) way to mate the CD to the driver so that as excursion of the woofer increases, there is a better way to quell the diffraction. not sure how i would accomplish this without separating the compenents but ill put my mind to it. Just thinking, if you had a decent distance between the CD and the woofer to allow a stagnant surface, the performance would likely only be detrimental at the outskirts of the CD's usable dispersion. wow, i just blacked out from all that technical talk!

.

You would be pretty much back to Danley type designs where you attach both the CD and the woofers to a single horn.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26,476 Posts
Mayhem, thanks for the link got love how Zilch was involved in so many designs!!!!



I have these coax sitting boxes at home now along with unused Selenium CDs so I guess I have found a use for them
 
1 - 20 of 1053 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top