AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have narrowed my choices down for a CRT to one of the above. This comes after months of searching for a digital only to realize that the $5K investment was not a good value proposition.

A lot of the posts in this forum suggest that the NEC can be very time consuming and difficult to set up properly, and a beginner would most likely struggle if the patience isn't there. I've decided to bypass that route and solicit the services of a professional if my budget allows. What $$ should I plan for after installation to get pristine picture quality.

Thanks

JMJ

·
Registered
6,125 Posts
First you must be sure that the tubes are perfect before you look for a pro (NEC) setup guy. You will be paying for a full day's labor plus travel time. IMHO, your better off with a pro NEC setup guy with a colorimeter and a scope than a ISF guy with limited NEC experiance. That projector in the right hands will be breathtaking. You are looking for Doug Baisey from this forum.

Chip S.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Give Doug Baisey a PM. I totally agree.

Marc

·
Registered
142 Posts
How do I contact Doug Baisey. I live in the Los Angeles area and would also like to find a good setup person.

Ron

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You may send private message to him. Locate him under the members tab by doing advanced search.

jmj

·
Registered
239 Posts
Hi whisper8,

I have an NEC XG135LC that had NEW NEC tubes recently put in (238 hours ago) and Jeff Bryngelson (Detroit Jeff, an AVS Special Member) flew in and did the complete A to Z ($1250) calibration. WOW, does it look great and I expected to keep this beauty for years, but...

I just "stole" an almost new, low hour Marquee 9501LC Ultra that's on its way to Tim at E-Tech for tweaking. So I'm going to sell the NEC. Comes with both remotes, the remote wire, and all manuals for $5500.

Call me if your interested or have questions. Alan Antin @ (913) 663-4044

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Chuck Williams is a pro's pro, and did my setup (and as subsequent tune-up) on my NEC XG135LC2. At the time, his rates are, now, I think $125 per hour, plus, I think, $25 per hour for travel (and actual plane ticket which was cheap). I would not hesitate to use Chuck again. He can be emailed at [email protected] .

John Gannon, who posts frequently, and is out of Detroit area, is also noted as one of the best. Finding good CRT techs is like a scene out of The Fifth Element--dealing in ancient tongues. But there's still a few of these Ancient Masters lurking on AVS Forum.

Nick :cool:

·
Registered
178 Posts
I too had a great experience with Doug Baisey.

The 2 months I spent fooling with adjustments was not wasted though, it allowed me to understand what Doug was doing.

If you can get a guy with that level of experience to do your setup you will agree it's money well spent!

Cheers,

Chris

·
Registered
14 Posts
:) I too had a phenomal experience with Doug. I am simply ecstatic about the work Doug did to bring life like picture out of my NEC XG-110 projector. He is truly a wizard.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi,

Roughly two months ago, I purchased a low hour XG110 from

Terry Ferentinos an AVS Forum member (very satisfied with Terry). I am a total newbie and after reading a little, I decided to go with the NEC XG. The thing arrived via Forward Air Air Freight, and I was overwhelmed. I'm pretty good with gadgets but this CRT video stuff is a new world to me.

I put out a call for help on the forum for somebody knowledgeable in the NH area and within 24 hours I had responses from several guys that personally own these things. One, Paul Tremblay, in Concord NH, was nearby and although not a pro, he had set up several before me in addition to his own XG. With the help of Terry (Pro) on the phone, and Paul, we got an amazing result. We hung the thing together and the total set up was fully tweaked in two Saturday afternoons. (Every time I turn this thing on. I'm still amazed the quality of the 84" x 46" images bouncing off the Vue-Tek Bright White through the HTPC that I built!) I paid Paul a reasonable hourly rate. We are all satisfied and as a result, I am learning and getting more comfortable with this convergence thing (I liken it to being an octopus on roller skates!)

Good Luck

WDG

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I just got my XG this past week and Doug's been helping me out in another thread. It is pretty tough, but even w/ my machine not setup properly whatsoever, it's much brighter than I expected, and it looks amazing.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.