AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have a living room audio problem I need to solve. I used to have HTPC and cable's STB as source of entertainment in my living room. These were hooked up at the LG 5.1 surround mini system (with 5DVD player) via digital and optical audio. Picture were going through DVI -> HDMI and component to my Samsung LED.
No problems with this setup, I run it for years.

I had some upgrades and I added PS4 and Wii U in last month. I figured I will leave HTPC as is and than run all other components to TV through HDMI and bring back optical audio from TV to optical audio on mini system. Everything worked and I was pretty happy until I figured out there is no surround since TV scales down audio to stereo which is than sent back to mini system.

1. Does anyone have any good and tested recommendation for how to get surround sound with current setup ? I believe there are optical audio switches, anyone had experience with those ?

2. If this doesn't work out, what would be a budget friendly receiver that has multiple optical audio inputs, I don't really need a dedicated DVD / BD player but that would be bonus.

3. If I end up upgrading receiver, can I keep my speakers - I have a funny feeling those get designed and built for prepackaged receiver and it's output so I am afraid that better receiver will not be a good match and therefore I would suffer worse sound quality from existing speakers and (passive woofer).

Receiver I have is LG lh-e932tb....really scarce information on the net though. All 1000W of power :) Anyways, sound is adequate, so there is no urge to upgrade for better sound.

·
Registered
536 Posts
It seems to me you have 2 options-

1. Get a Toslink 3 to 1 switcher. About $30 on Amazon. You will not be able to get HD audio with this setup, but you should get 5.1 from everything but the Wii U. As I understand it, the Wii requires an HDMI connection to get 5.1 audio.

2. Get an A/V receiver with 4 to 6 HDMI inputs and connect all your devices to it via HDMI rather than to the TV. Most entry level receivers will have at least 4 HDMI inputs and will pass the video to the TV through 1 HDMI out. This will give you 5.1 audio from all your devices and HD audio if you get a bluray. Your speakers are 155 watt 4 ohm and might be usable with a new AVR but you should try to get input from other forum members more knowledgeable than I as to what AVR would work. Since your subwoofer is passive, I don't think it will work with most AVR's.

I personally would go with #2 . ;)

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Just get an HDMI switch that can split off the audio. Run HDMI from the devices to the switch and HDMI to the TV. Send an optical to your audio system from the switch.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts