AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m in the process of creating a budget home theater setup in the basement with a projector and 100” screen centered around an existing Onkyo 7.1 channel receiver (HT-R680). I had it powering a Bose Acoustimass 6 ii system and, as you can imagine, I was completely unimpressed. After doing a bunch of research on here and seeing all of the opinions on Bose, I swapped out the base module for a BIC America F12 sub, and an Emotive Airmotiv C1+ center channel sitting on a TV console right below the big screen. I then wired the rest of the Bose cubes for the front/back directly to the receiver. The front/back cubes are mounted near the ceiling. The room is rectangular, measuring about 24’ x 14’, with the projector and seating area right in the middle of the room, parallel to the long wall and facing the short wall (hope that makes sense).

This is a HUGE improvement from what I had before! However, now I’d like to start replacing the Bose cubes (not only for an upgrade but so I can sell the complete Bose system to someone else). I'm sure I'm missing detail in the front left/right speakers, so that's where I'd like to start.

I’m guessing I have to pay attention to what I pair with the Airmotiv C1+ center channel? I was looking at the Airmotiv T-Zero+ towers for $400, but not sure I can do that right now. Is there anything I can upgrade to in the front for less than $200, then maybe move to the rears later? Or what should I look for in speakers for them to pair up well with the C1+? I see different options coming up on places like FB Marketplace that look ok (such as a pair of Jamo s807), but not sure they would be a fit.

Thanks for any thoughts!

·
Registered
11,085 Posts
... I was looking at the Airmotiv T-Zero+ towers for $400, but not sure I can do that right now. Is there anything I can upgrade to in the front for less than $200, then maybe move to the rears later? ...
For front towers at <$200 each two good options would be the JBL Stage A170 or Infinity Reference 253 when they are on sale as they frequently are but not at this moment. In fact sales just recently ended on both at less than $200 per speaker. You would need some patience to wait for the next sale which might be in the next few months.

·
Registered
28,914 Posts
I’m guessing I have to pay attention to what I pair with the Airmotiv C1+ center channel? I was looking at the Airmotiv T-Zero+ towers for $400, but not sure I can do that right now. Is there anything I can upgrade to in the front for less than $200, then maybe move to the rears later? Or what should I look for in speakers for them to pair up well with the C1+? I see different options coming up on places like FB Marketplace that look ok (such as a pair of Jamo s807), but not sure they would be a fit.
Best match would be Emotiva B1 bookshelf. Then you can easily move them to surround speakers later. They seem to be in high demand so the price is above your $200 point.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you are ok with used, you might get a good deal on some speakers (local pick up I think is best).
No problem with used when I know specifically what I'm looking for, and what would pair best with my Airmotiv C1+ center channel. Unfortunately, there aren't any Emotiva speakers for sale locally.
If there are other brands that would match well, then that opens up some options.

·
Registered
9,687 Posts
No problem with used when I know specifically what I'm looking for, and what would pair best with my Airmotiv C1+ center channel. Unfortunately, there aren't any Emotiva speakers for sale locally.
If there are other brands that would match well, then that opens up some options.
The B1s new are only $249. It would be worth the extra $49 to just get them rather than to continue with a hodgepodge as you have now.

·
Registered
10,693 Posts
Yeah, don't mis-allocate funds to a patchwork system. Save until you can afford the B1s, then save again until you can get the TZeros. I don't know what the Bose system will get on the open market, but it should get you a good portion of the cost of the TZeros, to shrink the timeframe a bit.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I agree with what others are saying, but I started with used speakers for several years and you never know what you'll find.

There is currently a listing on Ebay for NHTs M5 in your budget with free shipping.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Just by chance (or youtube data) I started watching this youtube video, and he might have the Emotiva setup in case you want to check out what it looks on video.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, don't mis-allocate funds to a patchwork system. Save until you can afford the B1s, then save again until you can get the TZeros. I don't know what the Bose system will get on the open market, but it should get you a good portion of the cost of the TZeros, to shrink the timeframe a bit.
Agreed. Now I think I want to hold tight for the TZeros. I do have a pair of Onkyos I could throw in as rear surrounds for now so I could ditch the Bose altogether.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
My "viewing area" is not as long as his (nor as messy LOL) but I love the link to the video for reference. Thanks!
Np at all! I definitely could not say whether he has all, or even any, of his speakers in the right places. I mean, LCR look correct, but I no have idea besides that. The 4 atmos ceiling speakers looked a bit far apart front to back, for example, but I didnt pay too much attention. I wouldn't recommend using it as a guide, just it's there to check out in case anything is of use or interest.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So ae the Emotiva T-Zero my only option for the front stage? Or are there other options that would work with my C1+?

·
Registered
22,288 Posts
So ae the Emotiva T-Zero my only option for the front stage? Or are there other options that would work with my C1+?
The C1+ will work well with just about ANY speakers because it's quite neutral so it will not call any attention to itself. The only way to get a REAL "timbre match" is to have 3 identical speakers in vertical alignment, otherwise it's just a delusional wild goose chase.

If you simply want a pair of towers with prettier cabinets, the Polk S50 can be had for the same price as the T Zero.

Reactions: wbdzynr

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Best match would be Emotiva B1 bookshelf. Then you can easily move them to surround speakers later. They seem to be in high demand so the price is above your $200 point.

^^^^ This!

They will be your absolute best bet for both sound quality and budget. The B1's will be a significant upgrade and to be honest all you really need with the sub in play. Get another pair of B1's for surround when you can and you're all set. A 2nd sub wouldn't be a bad idea in a future upgrade.

Reactions: wbdzynr and Lp85253
1 - 20 of 36 Posts