AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I am looking at getting a 7.1 system for a 24' X 16' room in my basement. The budget I am looking at is $1200.00. I already have the receiver the Denon X2100.

The two options I am considering is:

Andrew Jones 5.0 speaker set plus 2 of the Bookshelf speakers. For the subs I was looking at getting 2 of the NXG Technology NX-BAS-500.

Or

The SVS 7.1 prime satellite speakers and swapping out the SB-1000 for the PB-1000

It will be used mostly for movies with a little music.

Do any of these look good? I prefer the looks of the SVS vs the Pioneer, I am just concerned about filling up the room.

·
Banned
8,743 Posts
If it were me, I would go for a 2.1 system in that budget. I would get a Hsu VTF3 mk5 sub, and for speakers, I would go for either the Hsu speakers which you can get with the sub in this package or a couple of these Infinity Primus speakers. For the purposes of home theater or music, they will give you a much more satisfying sound, they will be much superior to the Pioneer or SVS system easily. Quality > quantity.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hello everyone,

I am looking at getting a 7.1 system for a 24' X 16' room in my basement. The budget I am looking at is $1200.00. I already have the receiver the Denon X2100.

Andrew Jones 5.0 speaker set plus 2 of the Bookshelf speakers. For the subs I was looking at getting 2 of the NXG Technology NX-BAS-500.

Or

The SVS 7.1 prime satellite speakers and swapping out the SB-1000 for the PB-1000

Do any of these look good? I prefer the looks of the SVS vs the Pioneer, I am just concerned about filling up the room.
Depending on where and how many seats in your room,there is not a big gap between 5.1 and 7.1 ..( in my room 7.1 did not make a noticeable difference from 5.1,I have multi directional surrounds which maybe why no difference)
Shady has a good point as well, only if you were interested in building a more expensive system as you go....but if your looking for more of a immediate and long term solution ( there are not any 2.1 systems that will give you 5.1 or 7.1 effect, at least that I'm aware of) go 5.1 or 7.1
I personally would go 5.1 with your budget if it is more of a one and done purchase
I have not heard those speakers but have read good things on the Andrew Jones set......maybe spend rest on 2 subs( 5.1 with 2 subs)

·
Registered
19,542 Posts

·
Registered
6,598 Posts
Hello everyone,

Or

Well, if you are set on one of those two packages, I think the SVS prime speakers are better (having only heard them for a few hours recently). I did once own the Pioneer AJ speakers and DID NOT like them very much. However, you room is large enough that your would probably, eventually, want a second sub.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts