AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
having 2 displays in a 10'x20' livingroom is making me crazy, i need to get a display, right now im running my pc media through a 20' refurbished dell set along one side of room 10', but watching tv/dvd on a 27" philips tube along other side 20', want to consolidate and go big, whats the best display for ht/htpc/5.1 channel setup/diy speakers, looking for the best bang for the buck (im a student) don't want to loose my eyesight, oh yeah setup is np because im single so anything goes

barton 2500

asus a7n8x

1 gig corsair

powercolor 256bit 9800se softmod

a4 tech wireless key/mouse

denon dvd 1600

denon avr 1603

pe's mtm/dayton surround

·
Registered
911 Posts
Have you considered front projection?

·
Registered
602 Posts
Here's what I did for under 1600 bucks, and yes I'm also a student so money is tight.

I use the computer I built about 2 years ago, which is a xp2200 with 1gb ram, geforce4 ti4200, and sb audigy platinum as my "home theater/gaming/word processing/internet browsing/anything else you can do with a computer" machine.

I didn't have the money to have a dedicated HTPC aside from my PC so I just made do. I don't have a reciever, I just run analog 5.1 speakers by logitech, z5300's; all in all it sounds pretty good. I run dvd's off my computer to my X1 onto a 120 inch diy screen. I also have my cable tv audio piped through my computer's audio system which is also displayed on my X1. I have an avocent kvm switch doing the switching for me.

My setup is not high dollar, but it shows that you can have a pretty damn decent setup on a seriously tight budget. Everyone who has seen this setup thinks I've spent 5k on it. LOL It can be done on a budget, trust me.

The key is to shop around online for good deals, they can be had. I would get a pJ if i were you, its the most bang for the buck and can be done cheaply.

·
Banned
20,735 Posts
what is your room like?

The best value out there is used CRT, you can get some of the best picture on earth (literally) for ridiculously cheap. The catch is you need a dark dedicated space, and have a place for a large beast of a projector. Takes a little time to get it set up, but if you're computer competent, etc should be no problem. And an HTPC is the perfect device to drive a CRT projector.

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
I paid $799 for my Infocus X1 projector about 6 weeks ago, made a 106" diagonal 16:9 screen for about $40, and made a projector mount for about $10. I absolutely love it, and only $850.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.