AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Is your $1500 budget for everything or just speakers alone? If it's for everything, this is how I would break down:

$350ish older model or refurbished receiver.

$300ish for Bic PL200 or Lava 12inch sub

$50ish or so on wires, hdmi at monoprice.

$800 left for speakers. You can use the $800 just to buy your front 3 and find some really cheap speakers for surroundings in the mean time. Or you can look at Polk Monitor on sale at newegg (which is on sale quite often). The new Pioneer speakers (do a search on this forum). It seems like the Bic Acoustech is within range as well. You can email the dealers to see what's the best deal they can do for you.

These are just suggestions, I have no idea what your preferences are when it comes to sound. Best way is to audition them yourself in as many stores as you can find.

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
You seem to be looking at a two channel system for home theater. Home theater setups typically have 5.1 channels but two channel works well too if the speakers are good. If you decide on the Martin Logan speakers, make sure you get a good amplifier as those speakers are 4 ohm designs. Most home theater AVRs in your budget would not be able to handle those speakers. Check out the Harman/Kardon 3490 stereo receiver, that will power those very nicely and still be within your budget.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBR /forum/post/19513783

Is your $1500 budget for everything or just speakers alone? If it's for everything, this is how I would break down:

$350ish older model or refurbished receiver.

$300ish for Bic PL200 or Lava 12inch sub

$50ish or so on wires, hdmi at monoprice.

$800 left for speakers. You can use the $800 just to buy your front 3 and find some really cheap speakers for surroundings in the mean time. Or you can look at Polk Monitor on sale at newegg (which is on sale quite often). The new Pioneer speakers (do a search on this forum). It seems like the Bic Acoustech is within range as well. You can email the dealers to see what's the best deal they can do for you.

These are just suggestions, I have no idea what your preferences are when it comes to sound. Best way is to audition them yourself in as many stores as you can find.

Just to clarify, this budget is only for the speakers

·
Registered
19,824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtek2020 /forum/post/19517536

Just to clarify, this budget is only for the speakers

Seems you want loud - The Boston VR3 towers and VRC center

with the CR67 bookshelf, will play loud. Go to HSU or EPIC or

SVS for a sub. I prefer this over Klipsch or Martin Logan.

·
Registered
241 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtek2020 /forum/post/19517504

$1500 budget for only speakers.

Looking into Kplisch W34 or W35, and ML Preface based HT 5.1.

Have you listen to both of them yet? Pretty much audition them and see which one you'll like better.

As for your receiver, really comes down to budget and options you want. Older model with HDMI 1.3 are definately a bargain. Refurbished as well. If you are going to spend an arm and a leg, you might want to go with seperates, a cheap receiver and adding an amp.

Have you figured out your subwoofers yet? Definately spend some good money on them as well. IMHO, subwoofer is the second biggest impact after speakers when it comes to movies.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBR /forum/post/19518397

Have you listen to both of them yet? Pretty much audition them and see which one you'll like better.

As for your receiver, really comes down to budget and options you want. Older model with HDMI 1.3 are definately a bargain. Refurbished as well. If you are going to spend an arm and a leg, you might want to go with seperates, a cheap receiver and adding an amp.

Have you figured out your subwoofers yet? Definately spend some good money on them as well. IMHO, subwoofer is the second biggest impact after speakers when it comes to movies.

I have only listened to the MLs, but going with expert opinions of masters in the area. I am leaning towards BA VRs with vrc. Looking for advice on the subs, surrounds, and receuver. Also not zeroed in on the receiver yet. Was just looking into pioneer vx1120...

Any thoughts!

·
Registered
1,512 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtek2020 /forum/post/19517504

$1500 budget for only speakers.

Looking into Klpisch W34 or W35, and ML Preface based HT 5.1.

Most people find Klipsch a love'em or hate'em speaker so I'd listen to those Klipsch before buying.

The speakers that I suggested before are still a good choice even with the slightly larger ($1500 just for speakers) budget. For the front 3 speakers I'd still go with either the OneCall deal on deal on discontinued Boston Acoustic VR3 towers and matched VRC center - this set was $1600 in stores before they were replaced with newer models. Or go with Ascend CMT-340SE mains and center ( b-stock link ). I've owned both and both are excellent. Add a Hsu Research VTF-2 MK3 subwoofer and you should be all set.

For the receiver I'd go with an Onkyo TX-NR708, either new or factory refurbished .

·
Registered
19,824 Posts
Call HSU and SVS on Monday and tell them about your room.

I am a fan of Marantz receivers and there are good deals on refurbish

ones at www.ac4l.com - A lot of people have good things to say about

Denon and the Pioneer 1120. You need to give Onkyo room to breathe.

If you want 3D - then Marantz may be out of your budget.

There have been some reported problems with the Marantz

004 series receivers.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
I had a very similar budget, and this is what I did:

http://www.htd.com/Products/tower-sp...Tower-Speakers times 2

http://www.htd.com/Products/center-c...hannel-Speaker

and then paired them with 2 of these from ebay http://www.amazon.com/Dayton-B652-2-.../dp/B002RMPHMU

In the end, that cost me about 1100 and I used the $$$ I had left over for a Lava lsp-12 sub. I am using a Yamaha rx-v765 I got from newegg that I got for $319 shipped to the door and just paired it with a XPA-3.

My total system is about 2k and it sounds better than anything I have ever heard. Its futureproof for me for the next 10 years.

Good Luck with whatever you choose.

·
Registered
241 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtek2020 /forum/post/19518515

I have only listened to the MLs, but going with expert opinions of masters in the area. I am leaning towards BA VRs with vrc. Looking for advice on the subs, surrounds, and receuver. Also not zeroed in on the receiver yet. Was just looking into pioneer vx1120...

Any thoughts!

The Pioneer 1120 seems to have good reviews. Definately check out the Owner's thread to see any flaws or issues and make a judgement based on other people's experiences.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1254047

As for sub, HSU just came out with a nice subwoofer. Definately worth a look. I've been reading a lot on Chase subs as well, along with Epik, and Elemental Design.

If you are looking for opinions......some people are already saying forget these speakers and just go pro speakers if you want serious home theater.

I, myself is leaning that direction with my next project, my "man cave" room after reading up on JTR, JBL Pro, Chase Home Theater, Seaton Sound, and Danley. Of course, out of these brands, Chase is the most affordable. Those who have gone pro speakers, haven't look back. With that said, pro speakers aren't the best looking speakers.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sholling /forum/post/19518543

Most people find Klipsch a love'em or hate'em speaker so I'd listen to those Klipsch before buying.

The speakers that I suggested before are still a good choice even with the slightly larger ($1500 just for speakers) budget. For the front 3 speakers I'd still go with either the OneCall deal on deal on discontinued Boston Acoustic VR3 towers and matched VRC center - this set was $1600 in stores before they were replaced with newer models. Or go with Ascend CMT-340SE mains and center ( b-stock link ). I've owned both and both are excellent. Add a Hsu Research VTF-2 MK3 subwoofer and you should be all set.

For the receiver I'd go with an Onkyo TX-NR708, either new or factory refurbished .

What about Onkyo 608?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 /forum/post/19519641

Based on budget constraints - the 608 can work for you.

Thank you, so this is what I am closing in now -

VR3s for the mains

VRC for the center

BA CR67

Onkyo 608

and still looking for advice on the subs with this package, but looking at LSP10 (lava sub)..

1 - 20 of 41 Posts