AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im new if you havent noticed my postcount, or if you havent guesed it from the noob subject title

I tried the faq -read a few links, skimmed others, I looked through all the subject titles... couldnt find anyone with the same question as me

as much as I would love to have a high end htpc connected to some nice projector along with a fantastic sound system... Im stupid poor, I would like to say this will be something that I am going to enjoy and investing large sums of cash in the future, but as I said before Im broke and I would love to make a htpc from pc parts I have laying around/got from friends as a hand down

The main question I had coming into this forum was what would be the best low budget video card to get for my system.... but since then I have gotten so many more ideas and questions... not to seem demanding or anything but Ill just list them (so if anyone who is up to answering them doesnt have to seach through all this bad grammer and such just to find a question to answer :) )

but I feel before I ask these questions I should say what Im trying to get out of the system Im trying to build:

I would like to have a pc connected to my tv, that can play audio cds, mp3s, dvds, high quality avi files(dvd rips) surf the net from the couch from a wireless keyboard/mouse Also thinking that it would be nice to have it act as a file server for the house (small network not all that demanding, mostly just me on my desktop and my brother on a seperate computer if and when hes home)

Questions:

-What would be the best low budget agp video card for video playback(not looking to play games or nothing, suprised that extreme tech said that a mx series gf4 can play back video better than a 4600)

-I saw something that was related to a via chipset and that any motherboard based on one would be no good.. is this true? if so what/how much of a difrence is it?

-256mb pc133(hope to god its 133 and not 100) do the job Im looking for it to do?

Anyone have any other sugestions that I may enjoy using this computer for?(nothing too expensive as of yet)

Im sure it woudl help if I where to post the specs of the proposed computer that I would like to use:

amd k62 500mghz

shuttle via board(unsure of model number atm, would look it up but the machine and the manual are both in a seperate room and I cant really roam through the house at this hour without waking someone up :( )

256mb pc1xx (80% sure its 133)

generic compusa house brand 5.1 soundcard

creative 12x dvd

80gb wd 72k hdd

generic compusa brand lan card

any tips or anything for a noob? any and all info/pointers would be much apreciated

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
First generation Radeons

Radeon LE (if you cn find one). Radeon 32 DDR, Radeon VE

Second generation Radeons

7200, 7500

Third generation Radeons

9000 (non Pro)

First and second generations are probably available on EBAY.

·
Registered
742 Posts
How about Chaintech N712F motherboard with integrated LAN, audio and video for $99 delivered from newegg? It is one of the nForce2 boards which means it is pretty much as good as it gets right now. The integrated graphics is not state of the art but it is OK for HTPC. It has TV-out. XP1700+ CPU for $50 plus another $15 for a HSF. $55 for the Leadtek TV-in card with remote control. 256MB stick of PC2100 DDR for free or $5 or $10 after rebate depending on the deal you grab. Just check Best Buy, Office Max, Office Depot or Staples on Sunday and see who has the est deal. The same thing goes for hard drives. You can snag a 40GB hard drive for less than $50 after rebate or get an 80GB for $70. Finally, I recommend a DVD-CDRW combo drive for about $60 - $70 at Dell. Keep your eye on spoofee.com or techbargains.com or ecoupons.com in order to see a good Dell deal on peripherals. I figure you are up to about $350 at this point and have all the building blocks except software.

I use Exact Audio Copy (freeware) for ripping CDs and MyHTPC (freeware)as a multimedia shell. I am currently using Windows Media Player 9 to play my music but I am looking into grabbing Rivers Media Center.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks much, I think Ill look into getting an early radeon... think I know a friend that has one laying around :D

and I had no clue that mobos/procs where soo damn cheap... I think I may have to do that if the stuff I have doesnt work out that great

thanks for the help :D

·
Registered
153 Posts
If money wasnt an issue, the new stuff would be a better idea. More power, less headaches and at least youll have a foundation for future upgrades.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.