AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was always a monster fan until the fact that i now need cables for digital inputs and monster is a little too pricey for me. I have researched some alternatives and could use some hands on input on these cables. Brands as follows.... Belkin, monoprice cables, and the cables at cableswholesale.com. These all can be found for under 50 bucks. Another question, i know that analog cable quality can differentiate between brands but is it really a problem with hdmi and dvi cables. Is it in the sense that if its digital, then its digital? thanks

·
Registered
657 Posts
Digital problems manifest themselves differently than analog.

For example: Analog cables can boost or retard specific color ranges as well as effect edge detail.

HDMI/DVI cables cannot effect the picture this way.

Where problems occur is with data drop-out.

This can be seen as Red Sparklies, Snow, Lower resolution sync, Digital freezing and drop outs.

The real problem with HDMI is smaller gauge wire and the terminal.

Currently most cables regardless of price will support 1080P at 5 meters and 1080i at 10 meters. After that it will get dicey (your source equipment will play a role in this also).

I will always get 1080i and generealy 1080P out of our 15 meter HDMI cable (see statement about source gear).

To go beyond that and guarrantee the resolution we have developed an "Active Cable System". This includes a 20 meter cable AND a "System Restorer" that resets the signal at 1 volt and reclocks the R/G/B. This is not a cheap solution, but it does work all the time, every time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.