AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone seen the recent shootout of budget projectors in Home Cinema Choice magazine? I stumbled upon the article on ecoustics.com website.

They review the Hitachi PJ-TX10 (also Hitachi Home-1), Sony VPL-HS3, Panasonic PT-AE200E, Toshiba TLP-ETI (never heard of this one) and HP VP6110.

I'm leaning toward the Hitachi projector, especially after reading their shootout results. Price is right. Any thought from others? Anyone else heard of the budget Toshiba model mentioned here? They give it a decent review in their article. I was surprised they ripped on the Sony as much as they did!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Tannehill
Anyone seen the recent shootout of budget projectors in Home Cinema Choice magazine? I stumbled upon the article on ecoustics.com website.

They review the Hitachi PJ-TX10 (also Hitachi Home-1), Sony VPL-HS3, Panasonic PT-AE200E, Toshiba TLP-ETI (never heard of this one) and HP VP6110.

I'm leaning toward the Hitachi projector, especially after reading their shootout results. Price is right. Any thought from others? Anyone else heard of the budget Toshiba model mentioned here? They give it a decent review in their article. I was surprised they ripped on the Sony as much as they did!
Be wary of reviews in these 'glamour' mags.... that projector lineup isn't particularly 'recent'.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I realize a couple of the models mentioned are older, but the Hitachi certainly isn't. It's only the second review I've been able to find on that unit. Although the review was brief, the reviewer seemed to like the brightness and also thought the contrast was outstanding for a budget LCD.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Here's my take: considering the Panny AE200 (PT-L200U) came in a close second to the Hitachi, it's bigger brother, the Panny PT-L300U would easily beat the PJ-TX10. The 300U has better specs all around including higher resolution and DVI input if I remember correctly. The 300U can now be had for $1490 and the Hitachi for around $1250. For the little bit of extra money, I would go for the 300U. I think it will serve you better in the long run with HDTV and HD-DVD because of the higher resolution. Plus there are countless threads (ie, owners) here on the 300U to help you out, not many at all for the Hitachi. Just my take. Good Luck.

Update: Just read a thread posted by SKoprowski where he said he found the 300U online for $1299. Maybe if you PM him he'll be kind enough to tell you the website.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.