AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i was looking hard into getting a projector when i ran across some amazing images, and when i checked, they were CRT, which i hadn't seen before.. i looked into them and they are looking pretty good, and they seem to be cheaper. i know nothing about these projectors, so im looking for a good beginner projector, that i can play my ps3 on, hook up my computer to, hook up a dvd player to, and possibly hook it up to normal and hdtv. i'm wondering how budget these things get without loosing the ability to do all these things... i want to at least be able to go 720, if not better... i'm only a sophomore in highschool so money is a large issue for me so i wont be going out and buying one of these g90s or whatever that everyone is always talking and showing off. however i'd like a decent projector. a list of some different projectors (under 0-1300 usd), there prices, how well they could do all these things ( i want to still be able to play the ps3 competitively and watch some blueray movies) , there video outputs, difficulty to setup, where to buy, alll the basics is about what im looking for because trying to just read the forums is confusing me because most help is with people who already know alot about the topic. i'd like a 7-12 ft screen. i'd also like to know how much the adapters and such cost that allow me to hook up to all the devices. thanks in advance

Edit, after reading alot it seems i want an EM focus. the barcos 808 looks really good, and i have read that there are different models... how much could i get one of these newer models (with MEC tubes) for (used of course). . . . also what are some other options i might want to go for.... my questions about how things work and such having to do with projectors can now be ignored thanks to www.curtpalme.com .

·
Registered
235 Posts
Thats a lot of questions. Goto www.curtpalme.com for the answers. I would say a Sony 12xx series or better projector would be what you are looking for. If you use a PS3 and a computer only, you don't need any adapter, just a VGA -> RGBHV cable. You can use the PS3(with VGA cable) or computer for movies. If you want to watch HDTV, you will likely need a scaler or transcoder.

Also, If you want to use a computer on a projector to like surf the web and such, I would recommend an EM focus projector. An ES focus "max usable computer resolution" is likely 960x600, while EM focus can do XGA and a bit above and look much sharper.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I'm a junior in highschool so I relate to having a limited budget.

I bought my first CRT four years ago (Barco data 801s) I paid $200 for it but it's a ES set and the tubes had wear. (Bad Deal)

Last year I bought a Marquee 8000 with clean tubes off of Ebay locally, I used it for almost a year. During this time I tinted the glycol and made other changes, I sold it a few monthes ago for $100 more than I paid. (Good Deal)

Now I'm using a G70 (8" EM LC) that I picked up for $150 at a garage sale, I sold extra parts that came with it and now I have an essentailly free projector. (Once in a lifetime Deal)

Do lots of reading, make sure you know what something is worth before you buy it, and don't set your mind on any one machine (it's much easier to find a good deal when you're not being picky).

For $1,300 you could set up a complete theater with an entry level machine from a reseller or a higher end machine if you're willing to take some risks and make some mistakes.

Where are you located, someone may be able to help you get up and running.

Good Luck,

Erik

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
57013 (southeast south dakota)

would a vph-1270Q be pretty good? how high would be worth paying for it?... in the reading i did it seemed like sonys tubes were spendy to replace... would these be spendy to replace if needed?

·
Registered
639 Posts
Any of the 12xx series machines will do 1080i and 720p.

Price for these sets is really dependent on tube condition and luck, some people find mint sets for less than $100 others pay much more.

I would lean towards a 1252 or 1272 over the 1270 as they are newer sets.

At this point tubes for these sets can be found relatively cheap compared to tubes for 8" EM sets, usually less than $200 a tube with reds being the cheapest.

If you are looking on Curt's site I would also check out the Barco Data 701 for $450, IMO it has a better looking case than the Sony, should be quieter than the sony, and may also have the highly desirable HD-145 lenses installed.

Erik

Btw.- unless you are buying from a reptuble reseller like Curt I wouldn't pay more than $300 for any minty ES set today.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
where do people find such great deals on these things? im looking on ebay right now, and the chances of finding a good budget deal on there are like 1 and a million concidering where i live... and shipping would be too outrageous almost in every case.... and it doesnt seem like ur gonna get a steal off of a site?

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
This a great deal if you get it for under 500. 170190844285 on E -bay

This one is also a good deal and it most liklye will have better components,VIM.VNB And CLM. 300195536915

And then this one if no one esle bids your in a great PJ 360018759774

All Are Electrohomes.

Athanasios

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
k well, i added my location so hopefully somebody finds me a deal sometime here while i'm earning some more money.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
I know distances are big out there, but I've searched "in your neighborhood" as it were on the Craigslists in SD and surrounding states... I found an NEC 6PG+ in Minni:
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/sys/537713202.html

The NECs are a rough starter set, as they are believed to be difficult to set up, but they do throw a great pic.

$350 would not be a bad deal for this PJ IF its' working and the tubes are in good shape.

Be prepared to remove the lenses (or ask the seller to do so) and educate yourself as to the difference between "burnin" and "pattern burn." NECs' factory specification for "throw distance" is considered by most to be too great, resulting in an undersized raster usage, resulting in small area burnin, resulting in an unacceptable color transition on light scenes.

Really, research "burnin" and "pattern burn" and their results before deciding on any set.

·
Registered
4,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashou66 /forum/post/13013267

And then this one if no one esle bids your in a great PJ 360018759774

All Are Electrohomes.Athanasios

Really? you think this is a good place to gamle $500. + $200. in freigth?

Quote:
Acquired from government surplus. Let me begin by saying I know nothing about these so I will do my best. I powered up the unit and bulbs illuminate for a moment. I dont have a remote so unable to test further. Comes from a reliable source. Casing shows normal wear and tear. Sold as is untested fully with no guarantees! Very high cost, high sought after machine! GOOD LUCK!

Maybe what you meant to say was "this has the potential to be a great PJ"

1 - 11 of 11 Posts