AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody!

I want to buy a projector for my room, and i am looking at some budget choices.

I would use it to watch HD content (720p), and mostly dvd movies and xbox 360.

I allready own an infocus in72, and love the picture quality, i find it very good, despite it has low lumin... I would like to buy a projector that displays a picture quality as good or better than the infocus, with 720p, and if it can, better lumen...

That's why i am looking to buy a second hand projector, and i have found a sony vpl-hs51a for 300$ (whereas the in 72 i got it for 400$).

Is it a good projector? Is it better than the in 72? What other choices do you recommend me?

Thanks everybody for your help!!

Pd: i wanted to add that the viewing distance i have is not very big, as i have 102.4in from the prjector bulb to the wall.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
I would be very circumspect of an HS51a for only $300. Most likely the bulb is bad or it's broken in some way. If it's in good condition, and the bulb isn't used too badly, thats a great deal.

·
Registered
5,876 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwlaw99 /forum/post/0

I would be very circumspect of an HS51a for only $300. Most likely the bulb is bad or it's broken in some way. If it's in good condition, and the bulb isn't used too badly, thats a great deal.

I have to agree with your assessment of the situation. If it is indeed a 51A, it must be still under warranty so the only suspect part is bulb which at about $260 makes it a wonderful deal imo.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your advices

The sony is OK, no probs with the bulb or nothing..

Anyway I have heard that it has some problems when deinterlacing?And still it is an old projector (2 years old)...

But is it better than the infocus in72? What about the optoma hd70 or the miytsu hd1000? Are they better than the sony?

Thanks guys for your advice!

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
The Mits will definitely be brighter as will the optoma but less so.

Is there any way you can demo the HS51a before buying? It's main advantage will be for HD material and sitting closer to DVDs. A new HS51a is about $1100.

If you don't buy the sony let me know and maybe I will

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey gwlaw,

I lost the opportunity to buy the HS51a.. So now i am thinking of getting the hs60... Is it better than the Optoma HD70 or mitsu HC1000? I have read many good opinions about the hs-60 :p

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.