AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

First time poster here, i posted some questions on speakers in the speaker section. I'm not sure if they will answer my receiver questions there so posting a quuick question on receviers here.

I'm looking to get a budget receiver for my first home theatre. Budget is max $450 or less (hopefully).

Went to futureshop and was dealing with a sale agent to get a TV panasonic s60, and speakers polk RTIA5x2. Based on research on here i was hoping to find a clearance 1713 denon but they had none. all they have is the denon 1512 for $250 or the Denon e400 for $450 (they agreed to give $50 off this as a bulk deal). Is that a good deal on the denon for canada? I e-mail assessories4sale and they wont ship denon to canada.

another option is just to get the TV and speakers from them as it seems to be a good deal and wait for the receiver for better deal since they are only giving $50 off.

Deal ends tomorrow hoping for some quick feedback.

Thanks,

Ry

·
Registered
29,065 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey guys,

Thanks for the input. i'm checking into them having stock for the pioneer VSX-822 and 523 in store.

Is it worth the upgrade for the yamaha v475 or denon e400? or could i survive with this receiver.

to start with i'll be using the polk rtia5 front speakers. Not sure if this receiver would hurt the sound.

As a side note, is $150 a piece for 2 polk rtia5 speakrs a good price?

·
Registered
29,065 Posts
The Polk RTiA5 are tower speakers and I think the RTiA3 bookshelf speakers cost more than $300/pr. So yes this would be a very good deal.

I wouldn't get the VSX-523 since it doesn't have networking but I'd get the 822, Yamaha 475 or Denon e400. The Pioneer 1026 is a good deal at $399 if you can find it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys

another choice e ONKYO ht rc 430 for $248

is this better choice then the yamaha utterly for 349.99?

thst is pretty much my only option stock stock wise at FS right now.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also I found a pioneer 882 like what was suggested for 229 but it's a refurbished. Any thoughts on these options

·
Registered
29,065 Posts
what's the warranty on refurbs?

No networking on the RC 430. I'd rather have the refurb Pioneer 822.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Limited Warranty period (parts): 90 days

Limited Warranty period (labor): 90 days

extended 1 year warranty 29.99

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Plus $30 in shipping. Still not bad I guess wish had a free shipping code! Although now yamaha 745 is close in price

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update: bought the denon 1713 to go with my rtia5 front speakers for now. Next purchase will be Polk Csi a6 center.

Now for help I need. What basic cords do I need to get this setup with receiver, speaker's and TV working?

I don't know much about seeing this up as this is my first system ever.

I don't want to gogo futureshop and then over sell me on expensive cords.

. Thanks in advance

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk 4

·
Premium Member
12,873 Posts
Congrats on the new AVR!

For HDMI (and any other) cables: Monoprice.com. Good quality cables at a very reasonable price, even after you factor in shipping to Canada. I've been using them for several years, never had a problem with either the company or its products.

For speaker wire, the 14ga. stuff at your local Home Depot / Rona / Lowes works very well and is also reasonably priced.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks! So all I need is 2 14ga cords from the speakers to the receiver. Then hdmi from ps3 to receiver, hdmi from have cable box to receiver, and the one hdmi fromm receiver to TV?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Also will I need a audio component Cable or whatever it's called. I heard of people having issues with arc

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Also what are people's thoughts on the banana plug add on for the 14ag? Sorry for the spam. As I'm researching thinking of more questions.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Perfect i will get 4 sets of those for my 2 speakers and receiver and some cord from Home depot.

Can anyone give a link for a well rated affordable HDMi that they use from monoprice? Just went to futureshop to pick up the tv and their cheapest hdmi cord was 24.99 and up.

Must be cheaper then that online.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts