AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just got a good deal on newegg for 2 Polk Audio Monitor 60's and a CS2. I'm looking for a pretty basic receiver at a good price to go with these. I'll also be adding a couple Monitor 40's at some point down the line. I don't think I'll need anything too high end, as I'm just starting out. Right now I'm looking at the Yamaha RX-V365. Newegg has it for $160 shipped. Currently all I will need to hook up to it is my xbox 360 (non-HDMI so I'm not worried about the hdmi audio). Any advice or other options in the price range that might be comparable/better? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
30,169 Posts
if you don't care about having a modern HDMI receiver, I would simply buy something nice off the used/refurb market. You will get a lot more bang for the buck buying a used non-HDMI receiver that is $150 (but may have cost $700-800 when new a few years ago).

a lot of modern, entry-level AVR's have cheaped out on the amp quality and internal component in the drive to stuff a bunch of HDMI inputs and HD audio codecs in for a low price point.

The fact of the matter is, for a "budget" setup when you are just getting started, having HDMI in the receiver is mostly irrelevant. When I have helped friends/family out in putting together an HT on a budget, I always hook them up with a good value used receiver that doesn't have HDMI.

Save your money for speakers + subwoofer. At some point, in the future, if you outgrow your receiver and want something newer, you will have a better understanding of your needs and the basics of HT, and have better speakers to grow with.

·
Registered
29,196 Posts
For $160 you probably can't find another new receiver. The Insignia 5101 HD comes on sale for $179 every four weeks or so. Its about time for another sale. I'd rather have that than the Yamaha 365. It has 3 HDMI inputs and actually does audio over HDMI.

Another option is to find a refurb recevier online. Something like the Denon 589 would be a pretty nice choice. No HDMI audio but it has some other cool features like Audyssey room calibration software.

http://www.dakmart.com/p11039/Denon-...duct_info.html

·
Registered
30,169 Posts
Here is a nice deal on a refurb:
http://www.dakmart.com/p11034/Denon-...duct_info.html

No HDMI audio but you do get HDMI video switching, and better yet you get the modern features of Audyssey MultEQ + Dynamic EQ / Volume.

EDIT: beat me to the punch afro!

To the OP -- the main difference between the unit Afro posted and what I linked to are that the 1709 model has 3 HDMI inputs and 3 component inputs (instead of 2 + 2) and is a 7.1 unit (instead of 5.1) and can run Zone 2. The 1709 is slightly more "future proof" in that sense, as it actually has decent video switching (the 589 cannot do any video conversion whereas the 1709 can convert analog video to component out so you only have to run two cables to the TV, one HDMI for digital video and one component for analog video).

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Lots of good used receivers are out there used that don't have HDMI switching because most people don't know you can buy a very good external HDMI switch for 30 to 100 bucks, so they buy a new $800 AVR instead. I agree, check used non HDMI AVR's or better, a quality used stereo receiver. Spend your money on speakers and room treatments. When you hit the lotto, then buy whatever electronics catches your eye, ear or ego. A new sub-$200 anything will basically be junk. It just costs more than that. The comment on cheaped out for HDMI ( and useless features like audessy) is ever so true. Lots of features, DSP modes you never use, remotes you can't figure out, but the skimp on the amp power supply.

Do you necessarily need the tuner? If not, might expand your looking to integrated amps. If you find you miss a tuner, I have seen very decent ones used for $10 to $20. Better than you would find in an $800 AVR.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the help so far. I have decided to pass on the RX-V365 (those Denons seem to be a much better deal).

tvrgeek: From what I understand, stereo receivers are only for 2 speakers. Feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken. I have not read up on integrated amps. What exactly makes it different from a receiver? Is 5.1 possible with these systems (as that is my final goal). I'll be adding a sub shortly and as I mentioned, rears at some point down the line.

·
Registered
30,169 Posts
forget what he said about a stereo receiver, they won't work for a 5.1 system. An "integrated amp" is a receiver without the radio tuner.

Quote:
cheaped out for HDMI ( and useless features like audessy) is ever so true

while I agree (and said above) that HDMI switching is overrated, Audyssey is VERY FAR from useless
for the typical home user like yourself who will be listening at moderate volumes and will not know how to properly calibrate a system, the MultEQ setup / EQ process and the low-listening technologies of Dynamic EQ/Volume will be of huge benefit.

·
The Village Idiot
9,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanob /forum/post/18193111

Thanks for all the help so far. I have decided to pass on the RX-V365 (those Denons seem to be a much better deal).

tvrgeek: From what I understand, stereo receivers are only for 2 speakers. Feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken. I have not read up on integrated amps. What exactly makes it different from a receiver? Is 5.1 possible with these systems (as that is my final goal). I'll be adding a sub shortly and as I mentioned, rears at some point down the line.

Semantics is everything when you want to be clear. A receiver can mean anything from stereo (2 channel) to multi-channel receivers that have up to 11 channels. The best term to use for multi-channel is AVR - Audio Video Receiver. You'll be wanting to look at AVRs - and in your price range used seems to be the best avenue as some above have already recommended you look for. Some very good 4-6 year old AVRs can be had for $200 and under - nobody wants them because they don't have HDMI capability.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
how do the denons that people suggested (specifically the 1709) compare to the harman kardon avr 254? There are a whole slew of them on ebay currently that seem to be goin for around 240...

·
Registered
29,196 Posts
You've got to be ready to put up with some bugs or annoyances if you buy the the HK. Other brands seem to have their issues too though. My non-HDMI HK has a minor bug with taking a second or two before synching on a digital audio input but nothing that would make me want to sell it. It sounds way too good to get rid of. And has plenty of power in reserve for those dynamic passages.

Even though my HK 325 only has 55 watts per channel, its a 40lb beast and built very well.

·
The Village Idiot
9,738 Posts
The 254 with the latest firmware seems to be working well - at least it did for me for the ~2 months I owned it. I was using as a stop-gap measure while waiting for the Emotiva UMC-1 but then I decided to go with the Integra DHC 40.1 instead. The 254 seems to be a pretty decent performer - better than the 247 that it replaced.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts