AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,324 Posts

Quote:
Any options out there under $600 or so?

Up your budget by 200.00 and get the Denon 2807 ..it'll be worth it in the end.

Everything works, no hdmi issues, no 10 db bass loss with LPCM, and Audessey EQ.

Plus you can apply bass management, eq and PLIIx to a LPCM source, Also 7.1 LPCM for the future.

Now if your not gonna get blu-ray or HD-DVD then thats a different story and there are plenty of good recievers to choose from in the under 600.00 catagory.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts

You mentioned HDMI issues and 10db bass loss with LPCM. Are you saying the DG1000 has these isssues ?
No Im not saying that. I havent a clue if the DG1000 has the same LPCM bass issues as alot of the other reciever lines have.

Its a technical explanation as to why its happening but essentially the issue evolves around the new audio formats from HD-DVD and blu-ray ...apparently the reciever should compensate for a LFE signal thats 10 db to low from the source ..The Denon 2807 ( and other denons) compensates and gets the bass correct. Other recievers however do not do the correct compensation for the 10db signal loss, therefore people complain about a lack of bass from hd and blu-ray...

You cant really compensate by turning up the LFE signal in your reciever by 10db ..becuase if you have any speakers set to small, they would essentially be "hot" by 10 db ..so darned if you do and darned if you dont.

Id check carefully if you have or are getting a blu-ray/ hd-dvd player ...otherwise you'd never see the problem.

Maybe somebody more technical could explain the 10 db loss of bass better then I could.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have an HD-DVD and Blu-ray, just want something cheap to hold me over a 2-3 years since I will be buying my first home and plan on doing a dedicated HT, with higher end equipment. I will take a look at what you guys mentioned. Thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.