AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So guys, I have been doing some research to find a decent budget soundbar.

My needs:
1. 4k /HDR video pass through
2. Virtual 5.1 (ideally)
3. Bluetooth / wifi
4. Using in a medium to large living room setting
5. Mostly cable TV and movies
6. Sub is optional
7. No satellite speakers

Options:

Klipsch Ref RSB-11 -- $599
JBL 3.1: $499
SONY HT-NT5 $599
Samsung Sound+ HW-MS650: $399

I have a 65" Samsung 4k TV that is wall mounted above the fire place. Unfortunately TV is not placed at the eye level due to our living room's constraints and I plan to keep the sound bar just under the TV and over Fire Place mantel. So the height of the soundbar from floor is ~4.5 feet. Seating area is about 8-10 feet from fire place.

Any suggestion which one listed above / another one that can produce good surround effects. I do not wish to add another set of satellite speakers.

·
Registered
104 Posts
i had an NT5 and it had terrible bass, returned it.
I don't have the RSB-11 but I do have experience with other klipsch soundbars (R20B & ICON SB1) and they have massive bass from their subs. definitely recommend klipsch regarding the bass department.

no experience with the other two, sorry.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your input. I do have Klipsch RFP 280s with 5.1 setup in basement, so that indeed had some bias for Klipsch in my mind to begin with.
I landed up buying Klipsch RSB 11, that was more of instant decision at Best Buy yesterday. I was at our local store checking out soundbars and saw this one priced at $399 brand new one. For a moment I thought it could be one of those returned / open box excellent condition ones but no it was absolutely spanking new one. Since Best Buy has this 10% back using Chase Pay, so it was no brainer for me.

I just installed today and giving some test runs. Overall I am fine with setup. I just need to figure out some basics of playing smart content from my Samsung 4K TV and if that needs to be audio out through digital only or ARC will do that. I have to do some more research on that.

One issue that I notice is the bluetooth connectivity, not sure why's that happening but it's dropping randomly within 15 ft radius. I will need to post these question to Klipsch thread :)

Good luck to others in market for one.

i had an NT5 and it had terrible bass, returned it.
I don't have the RSB-11 but I do have experience with other klipsch soundbars (R20B & ICON SB1) and they have massive bass from their subs. definitely recommend klipsch regarding the bass department.

no experience with the other two, sorry.

·
Banned
716 Posts
We've actually been pretty pleased with the bass from our Sony HTNT5 sub. For us, (and okay, I admit to being a video/audio newb), our NT5 sub is very noticable when turned-on, and there's been times we've turned it down in volume. But of course I understand that we're not the big HTS w/booming sub(s) type. Anyways, there's a rocker on the NT5 remote to turn the sub up or down.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So here's what just happened. I have been trying to figure this stupid ARC work between my Samsung TV and Klipsch, and suddenly now I hear this hissing static sound of the soundbar. I unplugged everything, tried different power outlets. But this loud noise does not go away. I checked Amazon and Bestbuy reviews and few people have complained about the same. Apparently Klipsch does not have a solution for this.

So disappointed, I was loving the sound. Not sure if it's worth trying another unit or just return it and get another brand.

Any thoughts guys?

·
Registered
736 Posts
So here's what just happened. I have been trying to figure this stupid ARC work between my Samsung TV and Klipsch, and suddenly now I hear this hissing static sound of the soundbar. I unplugged everything, tried different power outlets. But this loud noise does not go away. I checked Amazon and Bestbuy reviews and few people have complained about the same. Apparently Klipsch does not have a solution for this.

So disappointed, I was loving the sound. Not sure if it's worth trying another unit or just return it and get another brand.

Any thoughts guys?
Like forum member ELLEBOB keeps telling people on here..... Your best not to use HDMI ARC as your source connection unless your TV and soundbar are the same brands which gives it a fighting chance to work properly!! Turn off Arc CEC and use a Logitec remote if you want all control on one remote. Or run all your components thru HDMI to your TV and use your optical connection from your TV down to your soundbar. depending on how new your TV is, sound will be the same either way.

I have a new Sony XBR 900E and Yamaha YAS-107/ Emotiva BasX sub and the sound is the same connected either way.

Also are you using the lastest 18gbps certified hdmi cables?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, so I was almost set to use optical cable. I was trying few combinations to see if I could make ARC work. And suddenly this soundbar goes south with non stop loud static noise. I have no idea what the heck happened.

I am considering JBL 3.1/5.1 or Yamaha YAS 207. Any thoughts? Will either of those be better than Klipsch RSB 11?

Like forum member ELLEBOB keeps telling people on here..... Your best not to use HDMI ARC as your source connection unless your TV and soundbar are the same brands which gives it a fighting chance to work properly!! Turn off Arc CEC and use a Logitec remote if you want all control on one remote. Or run all your components thru HDMI to your TV and use your optical connection from your TV down to your soundbar. depending on how new your TV is, sound will be the same either way.

I have a new Sony XBR 900E and Yamaha YAS-107/ Emotiva BasX sub and the sound is the same connected either way.

Also are you using the lastest 18gbps certified hdmi cables?

·
Registered
736 Posts
Yeah, so I was almost set to use optical cable. I was trying few combinations to see if I could make ARC work. And suddenly this soundbar goes south with non stop loud static noise. I have no idea what the heck happened.

I am considering JBL 3.1/5.1 or Yamaha YAS 207. Any thoughts? Will either of those be better than Klipsch RSB 11?

Don't buy the YAS-207. My brother bought that one this weekend and we just got done today doing a side by side comparision with my Yamaha YAS-107 with Emotiva BasX 8" subwoofer at his apartment and there's no contest. The YAS-107 with seperate wired subwoofer sounds and performes worlds better then the YAS-207. In fact out of the 10 different soundbars we have tested either in our homes or at stores the YAS-207 is the worse sounding unit so far.

See my other thread about the YAS-107 against others that i have tested. So far it's been the best my brother and i have listen to out of about 10 different units.

As for the JBL's, i've only listen to them at best buy which is not a good thing or best way to test. You really need to purchase and test in your personal room you plan on using it in for good evaluation.

Amazon has the Sony HT-CT790 on sale for $279.00. it looks promising. It's full of features. My brother just ordered one tonight. We will see Tuesday or Wednesday how that one fares against the others we have tested.

I really like the Klipsch RSB- 14 we listen to last week. It was connected using optical only. The RSB-11 should be the same? Maybe you should try another one and don't use ARC.

What about Samsung soundbars? you have a Samsung TV correct?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for your insight.

I like Klipsch sound in general, I have a separate home theater setup with Klipsch RP 280F/450C/250S. I am very happy with those.
Unfortunately, with Klipsch RSB11 soundbar bluetooth was already disappointing (barely good beyond 5ft), and ARC was causing some trouble due to Samsung TV (i think). Honestly, I could live with optical cable but this new loud static sound came up and I had the setup for barely one day. This static issue seems to be more common than you would think, so I might as well return while BestBuy will still take it back. In replacement unit, if this noise comes back then apparently Klipsch has no solution to that and I will keep regretting.

I guess I can skip Yamaha for now, I was trying to keep everything wireless in our living room. Our TV is wall mounted and soundbar will be sitting on fire place mantle, so running a sub cable wont look that nice :(

I was mixed on JBL, no DTS in 3.1 so I was debating if I should think of 5.1 coz more $$$

For SONY, I was thinking for NT5, will check reviews for CT790.

You are right, since I have Samsung TV, Samsung does makes a lot of sense. I was not sure MS650 or MS750? which one you suggest.

Don't buy the YAS-207. My brother bought that one this weekend and we just got done today doing a side by side comparision with my Yamaha YAS-107 with Emotiva BasX 8" subwoofer at his apartment and there's no contest. The YAS-107 with seperate wired subwoofer sounds and performes worlds better then the YAS-207. In fact out of the 10 different soundbars we have tested either in our homes or at stores the YAS-207 is the worse sounding unit so far.

See my other thread about the YAS-107 against others that i have tested. So far it's been the best my brother and i have listen to out of about 10 different units.

As for the JBL's, i've only listen to them at best buy which is not a good thing or best way to test. You really need to purchase and test in your personal room you plan on using it in for good evaluation.

Amazon has the Sony HT-CT790 on sale for $279.00. it looks promising. It's full of features. My brother just ordered one tonight. We will see Tuesday or Wednesday how that one fares against the others we have tested.

I really like the Klipsch RSB- 14 we listen to last week. It was connected using optical only. The RSB-11 should be the same? Maybe you should try another one and don't use ARC.

What about Samsung soundbars? you have a Samsung TV correct?

·
Registered
736 Posts
Thank you for your insight.

I like Klipsch sound in general, I have a separate home theater setup with Klipsch RP 280F/450C/250S. I am very happy with those.
Unfortunately, with Klipsch RSB11 soundbar bluetooth was already disappointing (barely good beyond 5ft), and ARC was causing some trouble due to Samsung TV (i think). Honestly, I could live with optical cable but this new loud static sound came up and I had the setup for barely one day. This static issue seems to be more common than you would think, so I might as well return while BestBuy will still take it back. In replacement unit, if this noise comes back then apparently Klipsch has no solution to that and I will keep regretting.

I guess I can skip Yamaha for now, I was trying to keep everything wireless in our living room. Our TV is wall mounted and soundbar will be sitting on fire place mantle, so running a sub cable wont look that nice :(

I was mixed on JBL, no DTS in 3.1 so I was debating if I should think of 5.1 coz more $$$

For SONY, I was thinking for NT5, will check reviews for CT790.

You are right, since I have Samsung TV, Samsung does makes a lot of sense. I was not sure MS650 or MS750? which one you suggest.
On the Sony's i don't think it matters which one you go with between the CT790 CT800 and NT5. All looked to be close in design and features with the NT5 being a little better then the other 2. My brother went with the CT790 because of the price on Amazon right now. Between the CT790 and CT800 i would go with the CT790 for sure.

As for the Samsung MS650 or MS750 i like the 750 because of the up firing speakers. My brothers daughter just bought the MS750 with the Samsung W700 wireless subwoofer with a new 65Inch Q9F Qled Samsung tv. I have not heard it yet but my brother has and said it sounds good.

Since you have a Samsung TV and Samsung has some pretty nice soundbars, why haven't you seriously considered the MS650 or MS750? If you do decide to go with a Samsung, be sure NOT to pair it up with the TV via the wireless way. You will need to connect thru HDMI or optical for better sound.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
~

So I bought Samsung MS650 and now testing today. It does seem to be a pretty decent one. I like the sound of it. There's no sub, so that's the limitation but it does give decent bass when needed. I just dont have a good way to make a judgement on sound quality comparison between Klipsch RSB11 and this one. Any thoughts on that?

Connection was a breeze, ARC worked without a hassle, bluetooth connection is really nice and strong unlike Klipsch one that dropped beyond 5ft. The wifi connectivity of phone and soundbar was not really mind blowing. I tried playing amazon music, and it was getting stuck in middle and buffering issue. I have 5ghz connection with Fios 1Gbps input to Linksys router, so wifi signal is pretty strong in this area.

Overall it saves me ~$50 from Klipsch but no Sub. It's a mix feeling : )

On the Sony's i don't think it matters which one you go with between the CT790 CT800 and NT5. All looked to be close in design and features with the NT5 being a little better then the other 2. My brother went with the CT790 because of the price on Amazon right now. Between the CT790 and CT800 i would go with the CT790 for sure.

As for the Samsung MS650 or MS750 i like the 750 because of the up firing speakers. My brothers daughter just bought the MS750 with the Samsung W700 wireless subwoofer with a new 65Inch Q9F Qled Samsung tv. I have not heard it yet but my brother has and said it sounds good.

Since you have a Samsung TV and Samsung has some pretty nice soundbars, why haven't you seriously considered the MS650 or MS750? If you do decide to go with a Samsung, be sure NOT to pair it up with the TV via the wireless way. You will need to connect thru HDMI or optical for better sound.

·
Registered
263 Posts
So I bought Samsung MS650 and now testing today. It does seem to be a pretty decent one. I like the sound of it. There's no sub, so that's the limitation but it does give decent bass when needed. I just dont have a good way to make a judgement on sound quality comparison between Klipsch RSB11 and this one. Any thoughts on that?

Connection was a breeze, ARC worked without a hassle, bluetooth connection is really nice and strong unlike Klipsch one that dropped beyond 5ft. The wifi connectivity of phone and soundbar was not really mind blowing. I tried playing amazon music, and it was getting stuck in middle and buffering issue. I have 5ghz connection with Fios 1Gbps input to Linksys router, so wifi signal is pretty strong in this area.

Overall it saves me ~$50 from Klipsch but no Sub. It's a mix feeling : )
Hm, I was looking at the Samsung soundbar and wireless sub (either the 450 or 550). I have a pretty small living room, so not sure I would need the Sound+, but I'm not sure which I would be better off with!

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There's a good amount of discussion on Samsung MS650 in separate review thread. People are very happy with what it offers. If you get a sub, I think it should be great. For me, at the price difference of 399 (Klipsch) vs 349 (Smasung), I am torn a bit, coz Klispsch one does come with a Sub.

To me comparison with Klipsch has been a challenge. I was looking for a professional review comparison with more technicals but could not find that either. What may appear to be a good ear pleasing sound initially may not be the best sound after weeks of listening. So that's the part I am not sure how to decide on.

Hm, I was looking at the Samsung soundbar and wireless sub (either the 450 or 550). I have a pretty small living room, so not sure I would need the Sound+, but I'm not sure which I would be better off with!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Definitely check out the Samsung specific threads....I picked up the 750 with sub over Black Friday sales and frankly am very happy with the sound especially during blu ray movies, definitely the surround sound effects are very very good and the sub just ROCKS....I also have the wireless rear surround speakers for extra dimension sound. I play mostly CDs through the optical connection and it sounds very good as well. I do connect my phone via wireless and run the Samsung app and play Amazon music, there are occasional drop outs and that is mostly because the router is in another room, at least that is what I think is causing it...still though wireless streaming music is very good, bluetooth just okay. I went from a home theater system so am definitely surprised with how good it sounds. Most of the time we just watch cable TV and again pretty good overall sound but the movies really rock and get loud. Lots of reading if you care to but I am a big fan of the 750...the 650 is pretty good as well from what I have read.

·
Registered
26 Posts

I can give you my opinion on these as I've not seen many people with the JBL setup.

I compared in-house the JBL Bar 3.1 to the YAS-107 with an 8" sub. Switched them back and forth several times over a weekend with movies, music, and some sitcoms. Here's a summary of my thoughts:

Yahmaha YAS-107: Overall decent. Mids seemed more present than the JBL (they have larger drivers for their in-bar "subwoofers" so they should produce better mids). However, the mids were muddy to me, and the highs were non-existent compared to the JBL. I also didn't like the indicator lights - they are on top of the bar. This is a small issue and would have sacrificed this over better sound for sure but the JBL's front display is handy. Also, the Y did not power on automatically when it sensed an ARC signal like the JBL did. Oh, and while this bar has some mids/lows not present in the JBL bar by itself, it is in no way as good as pairing it with a sub. The build-in "woofers" distorted easily when pushed even a little.

JBL Bar 3.1: I just kept going back to this one and ultimately is what I kept. The highs are so sweet - crisp and clear if your content is decent. Yes, the subwoofer included will easily overpower the bar but you can adjust the level from the remote +/- buttons. The sub punches HARD and deep. I can't believe how clean the bass is from this thing too. My previous Vizio system produced weak bass, yes, but it was also very muddy. Not so with the JBL. It even sounds pretty good to my ears for music. I have a phone run through it and my Alexa paired as well. It's plenty loud for our open concept living room/kitchen. The main weakness I would say with the JBL would be the mids - not near as impressive as the Highs and lows. BUT, it does seem like it has improved since initially unboxed (have had it in service for a couple of weeks). I don't know if the drivers are breaking in or if my ears are just adjusting and getting used to it. One tip for this system: I use the Sports setting, surround "on" for Movies/TV and off for music. The Sports setting seems to really boost the mids over the other settings and sounds best to me.

I considered the JBL Bar 5.1 but I just didn't see myself wanting to jack around with the surround speakers, taking them on and off. Also, the price was too much for me (though they have just cut the price of both systems over the past couple of days).

·
Banned
716 Posts
I would go with the Sony :)
Thanks, which one ?
SONY CT790 or NT5 ?
Sony CT790
Regarding your OP price range of [$500 ~ $600], imo the HTNT5 should be looked at/listened to. It's selling for $600, but if you pair it with a Sony TV, at Best Buy, you can then get the HTNT5 for $400 !
That's what we did and we've been super pleased with ours. And since adding the SRS-ZR5 wireless surrounds/rears [typ $200/ea, but on sale now at Best Buy: (2) for $250 !], ehm, after a couple days of tweaking the wireless surround settings, we've been really enjoying the (okay, I guess simulated) surround sounds. :cool: Although we haven't experienced any other soundbars or high quality HTSs, the Hi-Res audio quality of the HTNT5 & surround sound effects of the SRS-ZR5's are fabulous, to us, so far.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts