AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New here and to home audio.

I'm thinking of building a real low-cost budge home theatre system. (I wanted a soundbar but the LG 42LD450 has crap audio settings that are incompatible with soundbars).

I can go for the HTIB route and nag a system with one HDMI in one HDMI out, but i saw some awesome receivers with 3 or 4 HDMI ins and one out...So for the sake of keeping my HDMI items (only have 2 now ps3 and HTPC)

This was the receiver i was thinking about (mainly because of the HDMI inputs for the price):
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+4...&skuId=9749436

I could go with JBL 5.1 system which would make this entire kit be about $410.

I dont really need the JBL's and would even settle for cheaper (crap) speakers. Does anyone have a website that offers cheap but decent quality speakers?

I would appreciate any...and all advice.

Thanks!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 /forum/post/19614090

what is your actual budget?

0 to 500 but cheaper the better the receiver i posted the link to, and the JBL 5.1 speaker only set for 190 come out to like 410/$450 after taxes.

I was just wondering if there was a website anyone knew that would have like generic brand speakers that were cost effective with decent quality.

I'm young in a small apartment with my girlfriend so i'm not really looking to get calls from the lady downstairs lol, but something to enhance the sound in the room.

As i said i REALLY wanted the Vizio VSB200 to work...but the LG 42LD450 does not have the correct audio settings to be compatible with EXTERNAL speakers. Only Receivers. Which is weird.

The sony receiver looked good to me since it had the 3 HDMI inputs and would suit my needs perfectly. I didn't want a HTIB because my PS3 is my blu-ray/dvd player and i dont want another blu-ray/dvd player just laying around collecting dust.

So i figured that receiver was the best for me, however, i'm here looking for advice from the experts.

Maybe theres a cheaper more cost effective setup that better fits...the only site i have at my "disposal" is bestbuy lol. Not sure if anyone (or you) knows a place thats specifically and highly recommended for buying home theatre set ups.

Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
4,284 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregtotheizzo /forum/post/19614142

0 to 500 but cheaper the better the receiver i posted the link to, and the JBL 5.1 speaker only set for 190 come out to like 410/$450 after taxes.

I was just wondering if there was a website anyone knew that would have like generic brand speakers that were cost effective with decent quality.

I'm young in a small apartment with my girlfriend so i'm not really looking to get calls from the lady downstairs lol, but something to enhance the sound in the room.

As i said i REALLY wanted the Vizio VSB200 to work...but the LG 42LD450 does not have the correct audio settings to be compatible with EXTERNAL speakers. Only Receivers. Which is weird.

The sony receiver looked good to me since it had the 3 HDMI inputs and would suit my needs perfectly. I didn't want a HTIB because my PS3 is my blu-ray/dvd player and i dont want another blu-ray/dvd player just laying around collecting dust.

So i figured that receiver was the best for me, however, i'm here looking for advice from the experts.

Maybe theres a cheaper more cost effective setup that better fits...the only site i have at my "disposal" is bestbuy lol. Not sure if anyone (or you) knows a place thats specifically and highly recommended for buying home theatre set ups.

Thanks for the reply!

Look at www.newegg.com , you can get polk monitor Series II speakers there pretty cheap and I think they would be better then a satelite setup or HTiB type speakers. I think they have towers for about $90, and center channels for about $69. And the Monitor 40s and 30 bookshlefs I think fun $40-75 per pair....

That would be a better purchase I would say.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 /forum/post/19614310

- Pioneer VSX-820-K Receiver

- Polk RM6750

For $500 you aren't going to do any better than that

I was actually looking at this:

Sony STR-DH710 Receiver

Yamaha Entry Speakers

To a n00b the sony looks pretty amazing, 3 HDMI's ins, 3d passthrough, 7.1 for future expansion when im ready to through down cash for serious speakers.

Not sure how SONY as a brand fairs amoung A/V enthusiasts but the price ($250 direct from sony $299 from newegg) seems very attractive for what it offers.

The yamaha entry level speakers didn't seem to be a bad choice either but then again im not sure how yamaha is as a brand.

Thanks for the responses.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregtotheizzo /forum/post/0

Sony STR-DH710 Receiver

Yamaha Entry Speakers

To a n00b the sony looks pretty amazing, 3 HDMI's ins, 3d passthrough, 7.1 for future expansion when im ready to through down cash for serious speakers.

Not sure how SONY as a brand fairs amoung A/V enthusiasts but the price ($250 direct from sony $299 from newegg) seems very attractive for what it offers.

The yamaha entry level speakers didn't seem to be a bad choice either but then again im not sure how yamaha is as a brand.

I'm not a fan of non-ES series Sony receivers. You can get much better for $300, or less. The Pioneer 820 mentioned above is one option, but you should also check out the Denon 1611 and Yamaha 467.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregtotheizzo /forum/post/19614874

Sony STR-DH710 Receiver

Yamaha Entry Speakers

The reciever I use with my Polk RM6750 5.1 set is the Sony STR-DH700 which is the years previous model and it certainly gets the job done

Those Yamaha are literally pure and utter crap!!!!! Generally your suppose to spend 1/3 of budget on receiver and 2/3 on speakers, not they other way around. They were the worst speakers I ever sound tested

If you wants a good place to start Purchase the Onkyo HT-S5300 its a good starting place
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882120168

Currently $400 with receiver and a 7.1 speaker set.

-----------------------------------------------------

Good home audio you can hold on for a long time. Spend an extra $100 and you will be rewarded

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 /forum/post/19615075

The reciever I use with my Polk RM6750 5.1 set is the Sony STR-DH700 which is the years previous model and it certainly gets the job done

Those Yamaha are literally pure and utter crap!!!!! Generally your suppose to spend 1/3 of budget on receiver and 2/3 on speakers, not they other way around. They were the worst speakers I ever sound tested

If you wants a good place to start Purchase the Onkyo HT-S5300 its a good starting place
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882120168

Currently $400 with receiver and a 7.1 speaker set.

-----------------------------------------------------

Good home audio you can hold on for a long time. Spend an extra $100 and you will be rewarded

Wow! Thanks a lot. That was a great recommendation and one i'm going to consider actually purchasing. Theres no BS like prepriotery speaker cable connections on it or anything for when i decide to upgrade later on?

This receiver does pretty much everything i need.

Is there anything to setting up an HTPC through a receiver i should know about? Right now i have an Nvidia GTX 465 doing mini hdmi to HDMI in on the TV. Is there going to be a problem going through a receiver? or any "special" configuration i might need to do?

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
For good bottom-price speakers: two that come to my mind must be the behringer 2030p and infinity Primus 160, 162, or 163.

This assumes you will be pairing a sub (seriously: cruise craigslist). I would expect to to two speakers and a sub for$ 200 used.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregtotheizzo /forum/post/19615150

Wow! Thanks a lot. That was a great recommendation and one i'm going to consider actually purchasing. Theres no BS like prepriotery speaker cable connections on it or anything for when i decide to upgrade later on?
No

This receiver does pretty much everything i need.

Is there anything to setting up an HTPC through a receiver i should know about? Right now i have an Nvidia GTX 465 doing mini hdmi to HDMI in on the TV. Is there going to be a problem going through a receiver? or any "special" configuration i might need to do?
No but whats your Soundcard? How does your HTPC output audio
answers in bold

·
Registered
7,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt /forum/post/19615318

If you want bigger speakers than those little satellites get the Jamo S413 system for $199 and add Pioneer 820 or whatever receiver you want with the rest of your money.
http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it..._c=site_search

I was thinking those too but this guy is just shopping with his wallet and not seeing the good value of spending the extra $50

Also those speakers have been coming soon for awhile

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 /forum/post/19615274

answers in bold

I'm using standard 7.1 onboard sound, which is set up to a 5.1 logitech set.

The sound/video is being pushed out via HDMI through the graphics card. When I connect the TV my PC picks up the TV and I switch the Default Playback options from the Logitech 5.1's to the TV, since the computer is off to one side of the room and sorta sounds weird when sound is coming only from the right side not straight on so i change it from the 5.1 to the TV which is pushed it out via my TV's HDMI IN.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 /forum/post/19615396

I was thinking those too but this guy is just shopping with his wallet and not seeing the good value of spending the extra $50

Also those speakers have been coming soon for awhile

If I went with the Onkyo HTiB it would be the additional $200 to replace the stock onkyo 7.1 speakers.

If I went with the standalone Sony Receiver I would have purchased these speakers A. because of the recommendations of you guys, and B. The almost excellent rating on the Website.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregtotheizzo /forum/post/19615433

If I went with the Onkyo HTiB it would be the additional $200 to replace the stock onkyo 7.1 speakers.

If I went with the standalone Sony Receiver I would have purchased these speakers A. because of the recommendations of you guys, and B. The almost excellent rating on the Website.

Your making no sense....There is no reason to having to replace all speakers at once.

Give us your absolute budget and will set something up for you.

For $400 cap it would be the Onkyo HT-S5300

For $500 there are more options

For $600 there are more.

Generally in home audio the more you spend the more you get

·
Registered
2,421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregtotheizzo /forum/post/19615413

I'm using standard 7.1 onboard sound, which is set up to a 5.1 logitech set.

The sound/video is being pushed out via HDMI through the graphics card. When I connect the TV my PC picks up the TV and I switch the Default Playback options from the Logitech 5.1's to the TV, since the computer is off to one side of the room and sorta sounds weird when sound is coming only from the right side not straight on so i change it from the 5.1 to the TV which is pushed it out via my TV's HDMI IN.

You'll be fine. MS Windows will simply see your new receiver as a new monitor, so you'll switch over to it the same way you switch to the TV now.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 /forum/post/19615895

Your making no sense....There is no reason to having to replace all speakers at once.

My guess is that he's not patient enough to piece together a more worthwhile system. HTIB's are perfect for guys like that, regardless of their lesser quality...

He'll be back once the upgrade bug bites him and he decides to finally purchase a real HT system.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse /forum/post/19616237

He'll be back once the upgrade bug bites him and he decides to finally purchase a real HT system.

Its horrible I tell you I built my budget system for my apartment last year and I thinking about either upgrading my front 3 or going with a new subwoofer. Mean while when I sit down to watch a movie I am still impressed by the cheapo system I put together.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts