AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I currently have a Dayton sub 100 connected to an HK 254 in a 5.1 set-up. The room is roughly 20x20. Music 2/3 and gaming 1/3 of the time.

The Dayton does fine in HT, but in music, it's just awful (rock, metal, blues)

My budget is $285 shipped, and I don't have a cent more.

Aesthetics are not important, I'm after functionality first and foremost.

I don't live near anywhere that I can demo subs unfortunately, so that's why I need your advice.

I do know about the H100

F12

PA-120

Since I have never heard them, I am unsure how they would be for my applications.

Any help is appreciated,

Thanks,

Josh

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
Probably the best low-budget subwoofer for music is the HSU STF1 , which just went on sale today for $269. Sadly, shipping puts it over your budget by $9. If I were you, I would figure our how to swing that $9.

To be honest though, it could be that your room is too big for your sub, and you are driving it too hard which ends up making it sound bad. None of the subs which fit your budget are designed to fill a 20x20 space. You would have to use them near your listening position to hear them in a room like that.

·
Banned
7,723 Posts
Just a suggestion while you are deciding...Take an old t-shirt and plug the port(s) of the Dayton and see what you think...I like ported subs for music but the consensus is that sealed is better...Different strokes...

Give it a try...Doesn't cost anything but a little bit of time...And you might have fun playing around with it and get a better idea of what you want...

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys,

ShadyJ-I have the sub 2 feet in front of me. I live in a town house so I've never been able to crank the bass. The sound is pretty *muddy* not any real clarity, just loose. I know this may sound crazy, but I came from a Logitech Z5500 set up, and I actually enjoyed the bass from that much more than the Dayton, I found it to be more enjoyable, had more of a puch. However, I certainly will look at the HSU-Is there much difference between that model and the HSU designed ES10? http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=300-392

Splicer, I will certainly give that a try.

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
I can't really say if there is a difference or not. Its a HSU design, using a larger driver and larger enclosure but same power amplifier. If the construction quality and parts are just as good as the HSU proper ones, than it should be as good with even a bit more output and extension. But that is just a guess on my part, I am not a audio engineer.

By the way, when you block the ports on your sub 100, you will be making the driver work a lot herder for the same amount of output. Don't try to crank it in this configuration or it could get damaged. It should make the sound less 'boomy' though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts