AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This thread is not intended to produce a X1, Z1, AE flame war. I am just pondering whether the projector manufacturers once again missed the boat.

A year or two ago, Circuit City or other mid-fi electronics dealers could have sold millions of these budget SVGA projectors at the incredible $1500 price point.

However, today every Joe Six pack I encounter is most interested in HDTV. Cable companies like Comcast are giving away HD cable. HD RPTV's and direct view HDTV's are starting to hit a reasonable price points for Joe Sixpack. In the last 2 month, (2) Joe's I know, have recently upgraded from 27" TV's to 40+ inch hd RPTV's from Sear's no less. And where are the projector manufacturers, trying to peddle low rez SVGA's. I think they have once again missed the boat. The biggest laugh is the true Home theatre LS110, SVGA 4:3 for a msrp of $5000 when you can buy the X1 for $1500. I'm going to hurt myself laughting. The marketing guys of all these companies should be taken outside and horsewhipped for not having a clue of their own market. Missed opportunities make me cry.

Jon

·
Registered
929 Posts
I figure for most people, the tv = penis factor. The bigger the better.

For me, versatility of the projector and its small size is what i liked.

Missed opportunities?? i just don't think the lcd/dlp companies want to drop the margines they're used to :)

·
Registered
396 Posts
I think, yeah, they missed an opportunity here, but let's face it. If they could have come out with 1500 dollar projectors last year, they would have. The technology just has to come down in price, which is a somtimes longer process than we'd like.

Plus, I don't think many people in the market for a new HDTV would want front projection. It just has too many environmental issues, primarily ambient light and the space requirements.

Besides, how are we supposed to feel cool showing our projectors to our friends if every 3rd guy on the block has one? ;)

·
Registered
929 Posts
well, i find people with $4,000 tv's are jealous of even my ancient lcd projector.. i'm upgrading to the mitsubishi sl1u, so i'll post pros/cons and if i'll dump it for the x1 or some other DLP system.

it has a high contrast ratio, so i'm anxious to see it play out.

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
IT is hard to appreciate the importance of the presentation market on this question.

Most presenters use PowerPoint slides, generally with a lot of text and clip art graphics. When you compare PowerPoint presentation on SVGA and XGA, it is just not that large a difference.

My theory is that presentation projector buyers notice that they can get an SVGA projector for a lot less, and hence go for it. If you look at the list of most popular porjectors in the least expensive price range on projectorcentral.com you notice that a fair number of the most popular units are SVGA.

This is interesting when compared to computer screens, where we see SXGA and even UXGA becoming more popular. Of course, people need more real estate when they are actually working (space for mail program, AOL, browser, etc.) than when they are presenting PowerPoints.

I am not defending SVGA just noting some possible market reasons for its remaining popularity.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.