AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 189 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Goal: - While a member of AVS, I have seem some immaculate dedicated Home Theaters. I have always been enamored with the elegance and dedication that some members can put into their theaters. Also, I have been amazed at the allotted budgets some have for a dedicated home theater. As for me, I am a new home owner and realize that although, I would love to have a $50,000 dedicated Home Theater, it really isn't in the cards. So I am attempting to show that one can have a dedicated Home Theater, tat you can enjoy for a modest budget.

Budget: - $5000. This includes all cabling, carpet, projector, seating, and material.

Equipment: - There are a few pieces of equipment I already have, which will not be going into the budget. This includes a modest receiver: Pioneer Elite VSX - 50. For Speakers I have 2 Klipsch F3 tower speakers, C3 center and 2 S3 Surrounds, along with a Cadence CSX-12 subwoofer. One Bonded Leather Love Seat and ottoman.

Room: - For this build, I am taking an already existing room in the basement and converting it to a dedicated Home Theater. The room is 10'6" wide, 25' long and about 7'2" high. The room was already insulated, but no other soundproofing will be done at this time, to conserve costs. The finished room will consist of 3 rows of seating. Two rows will be for couches and one will be a counter behind the couches.

Equipment Needed: - Here is a list of the Equipment needed along with the costs associated with the material.

BenQ w1070 - $700
Peerless PRGUNV - $97
120" AT Jamestown Screen - $560
50' Media Bridge Ultra Series HDMI: $25
250' Monoprice 12ga In-wall Speaker Wire - $85
50' Monoprice CL2 Rated Subwoofer Cable - $10
50' IR cable extender - $15
Misc Wall Plates: $20
Black Outlets and Covers: $50
Insteon Dimmer Switches: $115
Misc Building Supplies (for false wall, stage, riser, insulation, speaker cloth, etc): $500
Drywall: $45
Paint: $200
Carpet, pad and installation: $700
6 pair of Estar 3D Glasses - $240
100' of r30 Insulation: $40

Currently I sit at around $3430 for the grand total. This will allow others flexibility if they do not have some of the equipment I already possess. I hope in the end I have a theater I am proud of, while inspiring others to start building their own theater off their modest budget. :D

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The walls came down. Then we had to do a test fit. A special thanks to my friends Nate, who is taking a break after all our hard work.

It looks like everything will fit, as I was expecting. The Theater will consist of these two rows and a bar/counter behind the second couch. The bar will be an unusual height, so it looks like I will have to custom build some bar stools.

Budget Tip: Do a test fit, before you build it all. You will save yourself a lot of time and money finding out it will or will not fit, before you build it. Also, don't forget about were the projector will be sitting. You don't want that in your eye sight.

Attachments

·
Registered
933 Posts
Opening up the room was a smart idea! I'd recommend getting a redmere hdmi if you are doing a 50 ft run. I've had bad luck with standard hdmi at long runs and redmere helps eliminate that problem. If you are running cables in wall, make sure you test the cable before putting the drywall up. Or you can run tubing (smurf tube) to future proof cable runs (low voltage).

·
Registered
164 Posts
The more time you spend on this forum, the higher your budget will go. It's inevitable. If you want to keep under that $$ number.. stay away!

:)

I think if I had a room that was already drywalled and insulated I would have a really hard time with the idea of tearing it down to rebuild it for soundproofing. Hopefully you'll be ok with the existing structure.

Your room dimensions are pretty similar to mine. I'm looking forward to seeing your progress and maybe stealing an idea or two from you. :)

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
It is a pretty big room you may want to add more than one sub. Consider a kit from DIY sound group.
Ditto with BIG...that is a large space for a single 12" sub. I would use 4 subs in that space for optimal bass performance across the seating area. DIY sound group is a great place to get a lot of bang for your buck. If you are not a bass fanatic 3 additional 12" subs should do the trick at minimal cost. If you love bass, like most on AVS, and want reference level then 4 15" or 18" would be recommended.

This should be a fun build to follow, more in line with my future plans than the ubber theaters.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Opening up the room was a smart idea! I'd recommend getting a redmere hdmi if you are doing a 50 ft run. I've had bad luck with standard hdmi at long runs and redmere helps eliminate that problem. If you are running cables in wall, make sure you test the cable before putting the drywall up. Or you can run tubing (smurf tube) to future proof cable runs (low voltage).
That's a great idea! I actually forgot about redmere. I know monoprice sells some redmere HDMI's. Is there any that you recommend?

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
It is a pretty big room you may want to add more than one sub. Consider a kit from DIY sound group.
You are right. I'll never be able to pressurize the room with just my existing sub. The room, is way too big, the sub doesn't go as low as some would like. I did a test fit today. It sounds good, but definitely not pressurized. I will take a look into some of the DIY subs. Though, I'm not sure in the budget now. Thanks for the input! I've never visited that site before :D

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Here were the first sketches I did. Unfortunately, I could not find two couches that fit the way I wanted to on the top riser, so the plan has changed a little. I ended up pushing all the seating to the right hand side of the room. This allowed an alley down the left for people to get to their seats. I still like this design better, but it won't work in my setup. Maybe someone else can use it :)

Also, I noticed that the doorway placement, although would work, seemed a little tight. Therefore, I went ahead and moved it to the very back of the room. The door has to open inwards, due to hallway limitations.. This means I lost a little of the back of the room counter space. But don't worry, I still have room for a mini-fridge!

Obviously my design has changed a little. But do you guys see anything inherently wrong with it?

Attachments

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The more time you spend on this forum, the higher your budget will go. It's inevitable. If you want to keep under that $$ number.. stay away!

:)

I think if I had a room that was already drywalled and insulated I would have a really hard time with the idea of tearing it down to rebuild it for soundproofing. Hopefully you'll be ok with the existing structure.

Your room dimensions are pretty similar to mine. I'm looking forward to seeing your progress and maybe stealing an idea or two from you. :)
Lol. Thanks for the advice. I hope you like the progress. I too, could not see myself tearing everything down, just to rebuild it. Luckily, this is on the complete other side of the house, then the master bedroom. I plan to add a solid core door, to help further cut down sound transmission. And of course finish the drywall and insulation.

·
Registered
106 Posts
That's a great idea! I actually forgot about redmere. I know monoprice sells some redmere HDMI's. Is there any that you recommend?
+1 on the redmere I used the 30' ft on my install from the wall plate to the projector; works great. I also took extra effort to run the electrical for the projector in the opposite direction from the HDMI ie not parallel to it in the ceiling.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Subscribed! I wish there were more threads on theaters on a budget. This is going to be very helpful to me as I am in the middle of purchasing my first home and will have to try and find room for a Theater on my limited budget.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I got my Speaker wire in and sub cable! What to do next? Install it of course! I installed the front 3 speaker wires and sub, but running it through the wall. Luckily I have a big gap between the two walls, due to the steel support beam being straddled by the two walls. THis made running the wires a cinch. After wards, I tested the speaker placement. I move the rear speakers 3 times before I decided on a final placement.

I still have to permanently hook up the rear speakers. For now, I just hooked up some old Monster CL3 rated 16 ga wire to them. This is due to the fact, that the right rear speaker wire will be going through the 12" riser once that is built. Since it is not built, there is no speaker wire ran.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=524969&stc=1&d=1456980566

Enough talk, let the testing begin! :grin:

Attachments

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I was able to run a few wires today. Unfortunately, I needed some electrical wiring for the projector. I ended up running to Home Depot to get some. I decided on 100' of 12-2 wiring (yellow). I am running not only the projector, but also 3 more outlets that will hook up a mini fridge, my receiver and all other electronic devices. I figured I might at well run the 12-2 now, as it gives me plenty of room to upgrade to stand alone amps later down the road.

While at Home Depot, I also decided on my color scheme. I plan to paint all the trim and ceiling in Behr Broadway (the same paint you see the wall behind the screen painted). The top of the wall will be painted a dark grey, Behr Intellectual. All paint will be the Behr Ultra Plus, which includes the primer. I've also been playing with the idea of putting up some wood paneling and faux columns. Of course, I have a plan that will keep costs down. I'm thinking the color stain will be Rustoleum cabernet. Here's a mini mock up of what I am thinking. If it works, I'll let you all know my secret to make it look nice, while staying within budget.

*The colors are not an exact match

What do you think?

Attachments

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sounds like you are making great progress. Look forward to seeing it complete.
Thanks! I just saw the pictures of your theater...very nice! I hope mine looks a quarter as good as yours when I'm finished. I love the color scheme, chairs, honestly the whole layout.

1 - 20 of 189 Posts