AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need a recommendation on what speakers to purchase. My current system is outdated and lacking (very).

Current:

-Samsung HLS-5087W

-Phillips 21FR 968 Receiver with 5 Surround speakers (Home theater in a box-What we could afford 8 years ago)

-Yamaha YST-SW216 10" Sub (replaced Phillips sub that died)

Anyway, I want to upgrade the receiver to the Onkyo TX-SR508 ($249.99) and the speakers to either the Polk RM6750 ($202.77) or the Klipsch Quintet IV ($298.99). The Polk comes with a sub (underpowered from what I have read) and the Klipsch has no sub (would use the yamaha until I can afford a better one).

I was also thinking of using two of the Philips surrounds as either the Back speakers or front height.

What would you do if you had a similar small budget (approx $500-Wifes imposed budget, not financial)?

Thanks

Glen

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
You'd get far more speaker and receiver in the used market. At your budget anything new is going to be entry level equipment.

For instance, for $250 on the used market, you can get a receiver that is pre hdmi and end up with what sold for over $1,000 new. I have a Denon3300 that falls into that category.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I agree completely with buying used. Hell, I think its a great idea no matter what your budget is, moreso the lower the budget is. As tony said, you get much better equipment at used prices. Basically, I've spent $1,100 for receiver, subs, and speakers...but if I had bought similar stuff all new, it'd be more like $3,000+. It's awesome! Take advantage of it. Just requires a lot more patience, as I slowly bought up stuff from craigslist, ebay, etc. Also, its nice if/when you decide sell and upgrade, you'll recoup most of the what you spent...at least thats been my experience.

I know your budget is $500, but you can be playing with toys worth $1,000-$1,500 if you buy used.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts