AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I are finishing our basement right now and were curious about how much we should budget for carpeting. We have a 500 square foot area plus stairs that we need to do and are unsure of the pricing. This is on a concrete floor. We also want something durable as we have a 2 year old.

·
Registered
989 Posts
We paid about 2500 for 700 sq. ft. basement playroom and pad + 1 flt of stairs.

Good quality on sale open loop berber.

Low pile high quality commercial carpet for 400 sq. ft. theater was another 2000. No upcharge to speak of for the riser and stage, just a little bit of extra material.

For your 500 sq ft, I'd figure no less than $1500 for decent quality with labor and pad included.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
carpet was one of the single biggest expenses when I did my room. We sprung for the nicer option with a good pad.

~ 500 sq ft then add in the stairway.. ~$4k Took me weeks to get over the sticker shock, and suck it up and make the order.

Everyone asks about it though when they walk on it. One of the nicest touches on the room

·
Registered
230 Posts
I just carpeted my bedroom/HT area very similar to your basement. The total measurement was about 550 square feet, so pennies per square inch really added up. We have a save-more carpet store in my town. They basically get shipments of discontinued carpet or carpet that is overproduced. Think TJ Maxx for carpet. I got mohawk carpet for $1 a square foot, discounted from about $3.50 a square foot. We bought nice pad and installation was done by a family acquaintance. The total was about $1100 and I have no concern over quality/durability/etc.

·
Registered
267 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericthemidget /forum/post/15558626

has anybody used Costco for carpet? They have a service for members

I just had my basement family room and home theater carpeted through Costco. They have a limited selection compared to a carpet store, but The wife and I were able to find colors and patterns that we liked. Sometimes having fewer choices makes the decision easier. The styles we ended up choosing were from Shaw and in the $5.00 - $6.00 per sq ft range. We found the same patterns at Luna Carpet (under different names) and their price was close to Costco's. In the end you can buy carpet from just about anywhere, it all comes down to the installers and how good they are. I got lucky and my crew did an excellent job.

·
Registered
35 Posts
We have been a little amazed at the cost of carpet as well. What we did, though, was found the carpet we liked (compromised of course...) and then looked on line to find the carpet wholesalers in Dalton Georgia.

We got the carpet we wanted for a pretty substantial discount buying direct.

In the store they wanted $4.50 sq. ft. On line we got it for $2.40 sq ft. the pad was much cheaper as well. We did have to pay shipping, but it was only $145 delivery to my door.

The only catch is that the name they have in store is different from the actual name from the manufacturer.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I found Costco prices to not be any different than any where else. Carpet Direct was the best price for me.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
We also paid about double what we originally expected for carpet. Of course we gravitated to the expensive stuff.

We paid about $6.50 sq/ft installed, including riser and stage. We saved a few hundred going for a solid color for the stage and riser due to the pattern matching and how much more of the expensive stuff would have been needed.

So about $3200 for about 500 square feet.

Much more than we wanted to pay, but we are VERY happy with the end result.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I found Costo to have high quality carpets/pads, BUT, big BUT, they were way too expensive. Home Depot install prices at $199 is more reasonable.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just put down a $500 deposit for the carpet. It was $2.05 square foot plus $585 for install. They will be out next Monday for the measurements and to give me the final price. I am so over my budget! Right now we are working off of a 745 square foot estimate which I think is very off.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Yeah, flooring prices can be a bit of a shocker. Our carpet was like $5400 plus install, which was another $1500 (the installer was well worth every penny though). So, $6,900 for 1400sf of carpet (that's $4.93/sf), but the wife went for some wild-expensive (but I'll admit it looks AMAZING) patterned carpet from a specialty flooring shop that our designer friend took us to. We also had to buy extra so the installer could pattern-match, but I have enough left over to carpet the two upstairs bedrooms... go figure. My budget was $5k on flooring... we spent $10k. Oh I feel ill now!

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I'm just bumping this since I came across it on the front page of a google search for carpet prices and it seems like either A) you all ordered tip top of the line carpet for your basement or B) you guys got hosed.

It seems like many of you just took the original estimate and stroked a check. That's the wrong way to go about carpet shopping. Think of it as car shopping. Carpet is crazy high margin and they're willing to negotiate to get the sale while they're in your house.

My specs: Luna Carpet 2nd highest quality berber, upgraded pad, install for 1,000 square foot newly finished basement.

The salesman's first estimate was $2,700. After talking for a few minutes, we got it down to $2,400. Then I dangled the ultimate carrot on a stick and told him he could lock in the sale immediately if he dropped it to $2,000 even for the carpet, pad and install.

He did it without hesitation, so that tells me I shot a little too high and probably could have negotiated it down another couple hundred.

Anyway, I'm reviving this thread just so people googling carpet prices can realize that carpet estimate is just the START of the negotiation.

Good luck everyone.

edited to add: we have a full flight of stairs that is included in the final price, with the "hollywood" style of step tuck - which is their most expensive. Also, the total amount of "waste" necessary for the project was 15%.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Ever connsider doing a whole house installation from say home depot or lowes?

now I understand their carpet selection is okay and such.

But the sub $200 instalation charge. (Dont matter 2 sq ft, or 20000 sq ft)

Think I paid $179 for installation, brought cost to $1.79 a square. And it's real decent carpet to boot, not the best but hey gonna have a todler and a dog ruin it someday.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Awesome basement, forced.

I love the molding on the staircase. Really makes it pop. And that looks like high end carpet, too. Nice all around!!

·
Registered
573 Posts
Look into distributing centers. A local place to me sells to the public if you sign up for a free account. Im buying a very nice frieze between $15-$20 a square yard. Its very thick and soft. 8lb pad is $2 or so a yard, and my carpet guy charges $5.00 a yard for installation (he picks up the carpet too). Their prices are much cheaper than anywhere else I've looked.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts