AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The HDD20x decoders do not appear to have shipped with CGMS (at least they lack the warning as to its presence). If this is true, then they would have no way to selectively cut us off. They could block all consumer units via DCII addressability, but that would seem to give us more ammo for the suit. Of course, since you have to have cable or a DSR series satellite receiver (4DTV, 905, Starchoice, etc.) to use an HDD20x, and since these devices head the satanic call of forced firmware downloads, they could download firmware that is compliant with CGMS which blocks the high-speed output port (which provides the data to the HDD20x). Maybe this is another reason the firmware updates have been delayed for so long? The plot thickens...

Anyway, while there are some unique longevity possibilities for us dishheads, in all likelyhood we are just as screwed as those using LSD.

------------------

The button is labeled "Play", not "Pay". STOP the MPAA!

Our Silent Angels

Please visit The Manny Page!

·
Premium Member
3,174 Posts
I would think the UM boxes are still safe. They did not (to my knowledge) have the circuitry in the units, so I don't see how they could down rez for either satellite or OTA signals. We could be safe on that front at least.

------------------

jm in Boulder

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
How will BUD owners be affected by this whole thing? Has 4DTV made any announcements? I might think about converting to a BUD in the future if thats the only way to go, but I doubt they will get away from this encryption craziness.

------------------

STOP DVI/HDCP!!!!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.