Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there,

I'm new to this great forum.

I'll soon be purchasing a Pioneer PDP-5080HD 720P. Being that you need a 1080p HDTV to take full advantage of Blu-Ray, would I be wasting my money by purchasing a Blu-Ray? Will the Blu-Ray picture on this 720p look much better than say broadcast HD or an upconvert DVD player. If it would look better, would it look 10%, 25%, 50% better? Thanks much

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have a Pioneer 5070HD. Also 720p. You absolutely do not need an 1080p tv to appreciate Blu-Ray. The difference between a DVD and a BD is incredible. I used to think that the DVD Superbit edition of "The Fifth Element" looked really good but it looks pathetic next to the remastered BD version.

I haven't seen broadcast HD (there is almost none available in Sweden) but in general I would describe the difference between a DVD and a BD like this: You know all the noise, smudges and compression artifacts present on practically all DVDs if you look for them? They are gone!

You would be wasting your new tv if you stay with DVDs.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsalkire /forum/post/13001424

Hey there,

I'm new to this great forum.

I'll soon be purchasing a Pioneer PDP-5080HD 720P. Being that you need a 1080p HDTV to take full advantage of Blu-Ray, would I be wasting my money by purchasing a Blu-Ray? Will the Blu-Ray picture on this 720p look much better than say broadcast HD or an upconvert DVD player. If it would look better, would it look 10%, 25%, 50% better? Thanks much

It will look better than both of those. Remember with broadcast HD you need to compare apples to apples. Don't compare BD to live footage like sporting events, compare it to a movie on HDNET. BD looks stunning on 720p plasmas. Remember though, some movies will look better than others. My neigbor has a 720p plasma and BD and HD DVD look amazing on it. The difference between 720p and 1080p isn't as dramatic as you may think. The bigger the screen the more noticeable it can potentially be.

·
Registered
4,671 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobgre /forum/post/13001682

Blu-ray will blow you away. Trust me.

+1

·
Premium Member
26,161 Posts
burnsalkire:

Welcome to AVS. One of the best aspects of AVS is the wealth of knowledge. The best way to tap into that knowledge is through the search engine. The best way to search is advance search, title search only, limit search words to one or two. Make sure the highlight the appropriate forum from the list to the right.

Since Donnie (thanks) has done that for us, I'll close this thread. If you have any follow up questions, please post those in an existing thread.

Ron

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.