AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1583 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by jimre
I believe D4 is a high-def video connector for the Japanese market.

A search on google only returns Japanese sites, so no idea how much this will cost. Hopefully a V4 will turn into a DVI for us.

Cheers

Alan

·
Registered
48 Posts
We now seem to be getting a few machines capable of Component/DVI outputs and from a hardware perspective things are starting to look good. My problem is comparing the software. I download manuals and there is always something simple missing that puts me off.

I am sure that will inprove soon.

Alan

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
This one does look good. It is also designed to work with the Terrastation. Not sure what that means, but this thing a 1000gig could be pretty powerful

I still think that 2006 is the year and that 2005 will get us really close.

Drew

·
Registered
2,013 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by saintalan
...I download manuals and there is always something simple missing that puts me off.

I am sure that will inprove soon....

That's what I said a year & a half ago...

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Does anyone know if this player will support WMA Lossless audio?

edit: it seems this chip only supports pro and not lossless.

Also, since this player does not include a DVI/HDMI output, I'm assuming I won't be able to upconvert since I have a RPTV and not a LCD/DLP/PDP/LCOS display. According to the specs on the chip, only those types of displays will allow upconverting through component. That stinks!

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
This player uses the same chipset and firmware base as the IODATA AveLinkPlayer2. Biggest difference is the wireless which Iodata is selling in Japan on a player with DVI also -- I expect the US version of the Buffalo won't have DVI either until some licensing issues are resolved..

Some of us with the LinkPlayer have been looking at the server software for the Buffalo and it is nearly identical to the server software for our Iodata boxes so I don't expect much in the way of differences except for Buffalo's wireless configuration utility.

The D4 connector comes with a D4 to component cable for 720p/1080i capable output.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Paul-

The D4 connector, which I'm not familiar with, will allow me to use the upconvert feature even though I'm not using the "required" type of display?

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
On the IODATA we can currently upconvert to eith 720p or 1080i via the D4 to component cable (although IODATAs website says we can't). I would expect the Buffalo is the same but you will need a Buffalo owner to find out for sure.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Usually these devices require a PC to have software running that streams the media to the device. On the Buffalo High Definition Wireless Media Player does anyone know where if even needed the software will run? I thought I heard that it can work directly with the Buffalo Link station with is just a NAS device.

·
Registered
20,517 Posts
All I can find is on the spec sheet "Integrated PCast module allows for easy playback from Buffalo's LinkStation Network Storage", without any explanation of exactly what that means. There's no posted manual online and when I google "Buffalo PCast" almost all of the sites that I get are in Japanese, or are just a PR containing that same blurb from their web page.

I-O Data sells a NAS that contains server software for their device which is what this might be.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Buffalo is not using IOdata's LinkServer software. It's their own server. Like IOdata's, it is accessed on either a Windows PC or their NAS device that contains an embedded server. Both media players are UPnP 1.0 compatible I believe, so in reality any UPnP server will do.

Personally the Buffallo looks attractive to me because I've been thinking of going the NAS route for media server service and the LinkStation is more ubiquitous than the IOdata box. Easier to find on the used market, Ebay, etc. and also known to be hackable. I hope they provide the server to Revolution (Kuro) customers, because that may be the NAS I ultimately choose.

First EM8620L based unit to make it to the US market as far as I know. Are there others?

·
Registered
23 Posts
This sounds great! I like the idea that the software can (let's hope) run on the NAS. No worries about the PC being on since the NAS will always be on.

Does it seem like this space is starting to mature? Where does everyone see the whole media server/streaming space going? I'm excited about the prospects.

1 - 20 of 1583 Posts