AVS Forum banner

5401 - 5420 of 8150 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
WNED-TV will terminate its analog signal and become all-digital on April 16 -- about two months before the date mandated by the federal government-- in order to save about $32,000 in energy costs, President and CEO Don Boswell announced today.

The government set June 12 as the date all stations would have to switch over, which was an extension from the original Feb. 17 deadline. The date was changed based on reports that viewers nationwide weren't ready to make switch to all digital.

According to Boswell, "minimal consumer disruption" has been reported since many stations across the country ended their analog broadcasts a month ago. "While we know some U.S. and Canadian viewers haven't made the move to digital, we had to take these difficult economic times into consideration," he said in a press release.

"WNED and other local broadcasters have engaged in concerted educational campaigns to raise awareness of the digital transition; and currently, we feel that the majority of our audience is ready."

The move to all digital won't impact anyone who gets programs through cable, satellite or phone lines or has newer sets equipped to receive digital signals. However, viewers who still receive television signals from over-the-air via antenna on sets with non-digital tuners will have to get equipment to continue to get the stations they've been receiving on analog.

·
Registered
16,546 Posts
That was already posted;
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post16018525

I might add, they will still have all three channels after their analog goes dark for reasons I previously stated.

Using a 14201 Zip Code for TVGOS, I was surprised to see these choices and more surprised at the 1st one.

This "Falls Earth Station" outfit is now called this;
http://www.campustelevideo.com/
Quote:
As of June 16, 2008 Falls Earth Station has merged with Campus TeleVideo, a leading provider of cable television services to colleges and universities across the country.

The only thing, it's the wrong Zip Code. It should be 14213 since that is where 'Buff State' (Suny Buffalo) is located.

Someone needs to buy Macrovision a map.

As far as Intertech, they can be anywhere.

·
Premium Member
10,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce /forum/post/16075805

The only thing, it's the wrong Zip Code. It should be 14213 since that is where 'Buff State' (Suny Buffalo) is located.

SUNY Buffalo is not Buff State. I don't know what they provide but the UB zip code is 14260 (Main St. campus).

·
Registered
16,546 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Bruce,

What's the best zip code to use to match the lineup w/ mine in Niagara county? For what ever reason my real zip 14120 - kept hanging and saying no host channel in the diag screens. Yet, zip 14201 returned positive results in less than a few hours after turning the set off??

·
Premium Member
10,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce /forum/post/16076658

According to this it is;
http://ask.buffalostate.edu/index.php?showtopic=1152

I'm not sure what you're pointing at in that thread but the official title of UB (aka SUNY at Buffalo, aka SUNYAB) is [the] University at Buffalo, the State University of New York and the official name of Buff State is Buffalo State College. In the 20 years I've worked at UB I've never heard anyone refer to Buff State as SUNY Buffalo.

The UB style guide asserts:
Quote:
university, reference to --

Acceptable:

University at Buffalo, the State University of New York;

UB;

State University of New York at Buffalo only in publications with an international audience;

University of Buffalo only when referring to private, pre-SUNY institution;

NEVER SUNY/Buffalo, SUNY at Buffalo
Quote:
No it's not, it's Amherst

Ah, sometimes I fail to keep up with the times. The UB mail room used to be on the south campus which is 14214.

·
Registered
16,546 Posts

Quote:
I'm not sure what you're pointing at in that thread

The name of the forum, top left corner. In the thread reference was made to a West side Zip Code which tells me it was Buff State.
Quote:
The UB mail room used to be on the south campus

Yea, alot of things use to be on the South Campus including names of buildings that were stolen along with those granite pillars just to give some kind of prestige to a suburban campus out in a swamp that should of never been built.

jimdoo; With the discovery of these 'Private' cable companies, your guess is as good as mine. These were never there in the past. All of the Canadian stations that are in range are on the list, but three of them don't have listings: CITY, CJMT & CKXT. Also, CICA only shows as a CATV channel if I remember correctly.

I'm using the "Falls Earth Station" choice, I didn't bother with that Intertech. It is obvious this will change in the next few months many times as it has in the past 6 months. We will just have to wait untill the dust settles.

·
Registered
246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce /forum/post/16060186

I'm sure IC (Industry Canada) will find something wrong with it.

BTW Bruce, if you haven't seen IC DTV transition plan, here it is:

http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/smt-gst.nsf/vwapj/DTV_PLAN_Dec08-e.pdf/$file/DTV_PLAN_Dec08-e.pdf

You probably want to start at page 41 for the Ontario data.

Note that a lot of the DTV channels presented might never hit the airwaves. CTV and Global want out of the OTA business. Most of the others only plan on doing transitions in major cities (ie. those with NHL franchises
)

So places in the Buffalo footprint, like Kitchener, London, Peterborough etc. might NEVER have OTA DTV so IC may be needlessly restricting the Buffalo broadcasters.

I hope the FCC takes this into consideration.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Anyone else having issue w/ channels 700 and 709? I'm on my 2nd box and they already ran a whole new cable run due to low signal? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
16,546 Posts
el gran chico; I already have a copy of that. Thanks.
Quote:
IC may be needlessly restricting the Buffalo broadcasters.

I think they have been doing so for some time now.

jimdoo; Those 'virtual' channels are all the locals, correct? If so, bypass the box and tune direct to whatever the TV renumbers them as.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Has anyone noticed that WUTV-dt signal is now much weaker to the north for over a week now.Signal % steady 63% while it used to be near 90%.WNYO-dt is showing the same 65% to 69% .All others the same 90 to 100 %. Have they made a change resently or reduced power or altered their antenna?WUTV signal should be stronger than WNYO,more power and less directional.

·
Registered
16,546 Posts
Change of seasons and/or weather.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Someone on another site spoke to them and confirmed that work was going on at the tower.I glad it was not permanent.Those to the south probably do not notice a power reduction because of that directional antenna.

·
Registered
246 Posts
So WUTV is already gone (Feb. 17), WNED is going (Apr. 16). I saw a crawl on WGRZ that they'l stay on to the bitter end (June 12)

Anyone know if any of these are shutting prior to June 12?

WIVB

WKBW

WNLO

WNYO

WNYB

Of course WNGS and WPXJ are at the mercy of other stations on their new digital home.

·
Registered
15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gran chico /forum/post/16128629

So WUTV is already gone (Feb. 17), WNED is going (Apr. 16). I saw a crawl on WGRZ that they'l stay on to the bitter end (June 12)

Anyone know if any of these are shutting prior to June 12?

WIVB

WKBW

WNLO

WNYO

WNYB

Of course WNGS and WPXJ are at the mercy of other stations on their new digital home.

As far as I know, they are all staying with the June 12th date. Watch for all kinds of new informational spots.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I saw a crawl on WKBW saying they will be on analog to June 12. I saw on aanother forum that WNYB will turn off analog on May 4.

That leaves just 3 to announce their plans.

5401 - 5420 of 8150 Posts