AVS Forum banner

8361 - 8380 of 8428 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Does anyone get MeTV Buffalo and other VHF channels in Toronto or Mississauga? If so, how do you do it? What antenna do you have? I would love to get these channels but my current set up is not the greatest. Hoping to upgrade to something better.

Thanks
Best investment would be an 91XG from antennas direct. About $80 CDN on Amazon.ca
No comparison of performance with 8 bay bow ties. I’ve done side by side comparisons and the 91XG performed far better on 2,4,7 (south of buffalo). Grand island stations of course crush it. The antenna is quite directional and you would be advised to have it at least at chimney level (i.e. a jpole attached to the chimney). I have one on a rotor and the other on a chimney. Performance is excellint.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Best investment would be an 91XG from antennas direct. About $80 CDN on Amazon.ca
No comparison of performance with 8 bay bow ties. I’ve done side by side comparisons and the 91XG performed far better on 2,4,7 (south of buffalo). Grand island stations of course crush it. The antenna is quite directional and you would be advised to have it at least at chimney level (i.e. a jpole attached to the chimney). I have one on a rotor and the other on a chimney. Performance is excellint.
I should mention, I get all of the 49.x channels on the 91XGs, - location St. Clair-Bathurst area in Toronto. I’m also pointed directly into the CN Tower which is 3km? Away

·
Registered
8 Posts
Are you using 2 91XG's? What are you using for the rotor? I am currently using a cheap antenna that I bought years ago. It does work well but I do get drop outs and now I lost 49.3, 4.1, 11.1, 23.x. Looking at replacing it with something better. Are you saying that if i point the 91XG at the CN Tower I won't get Buffalo channels and also if I point to Buffalo I won't get locals and Hamilton without a rotor? Was hoping for something that could get all three.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Please post a link to a RabbitEars report for your location:
https://www.rabbitears.info/searchmap.php

It will tell us the exact directions each station comes from. Like if you are in a favorable location or elevation, you might be able to get away with aiming for the weakest stations, while the closer ones will come in via the sides of the antenna if they're strong enough in your area.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Please post a link to a RabbitEars report for your location:
https://www.rabbitears.info/searchmap.php

It will tell us the exact directions each station comes from. Like if you are in a favorable location or elevation, you might be able to get away with aiming for the weakest stations, while the closer ones will come in via the sides of the antenna if they're strong enough in your area.

I do not get any or the ones in the bad category. I get 49.1 in the poor category, Some in the fair. I do get 2.x, 7.x but not 4.x

Alot of channels I wish I could get.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Are you using 2 91XG's? What are you using for the rotor? I am currently using a cheap antenna that I bought years ago. It does work well but I do get drop outs and now I lost 49.3, 4.1, 11.1, 23.x. Looking at replacing it with something better. Are you saying that if i point the 91XG at the CN Tower I won't get Buffalo channels and also if I point to Buffalo I won't get locals and Hamilton without a rotor? Was hoping for something that could get all three.
I have multiple TV's and DVRs in use. So I have each 91XG fed into its own splitter. I have used Winegard LNA100 pre-amps as well, but there are overload issues. I am running an HDHomerun, from one of the 91XG's and it is receiving all Buffalo stations/subs - there is no amplifier in use with the HDHomerun. My comment about "looking" straight into the CN Tower, is that the overload is horrific from the Toronto stations and the Buffalo stations which are at 85, 87 and 90 miles respectively (WGRZ, WKBW, WIVB/NLO) are receivable even though their signals are many db lower than CN Tower. Unfortunately where I am situated, the Buffalo stations (2,4,7) transmitters are directly in line with the CN Tower. Grand Island is a little further east. If you have the ability to aim at the buffalo transmitters and are not dead-on the CN Tower, or at least more than 3 km from the CN Tower, you may be very successful. I have also added 6db attenuators on some TV's, simply to counter the overload from the CN Tower, and that has worked. The stations that were impacted most using the 6db attenuators were WIVB/WNLO. But that's a factor of being so close to the CN Tower. One other thing, the attenuators sell for a package of 2 for around $14 on Amazon. Worth experimenting with. I am using an RCA rotor. Not the best, but affordable and it was available at the time. It has been reliable through 2 or 3 winters. I have multiple AR15 and HAM-M rotors which need refurbishing - they are around 60 years old. But that's a project for retirement. They are workhorses, and one was up on a tower for decades with a 5' parabolic UHF antenna and a large VHF array. So, I'm pleased with the RCA - good bang for the buck.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Pay attention to the RF numbers in that list. That "Poor" entry for 49.1 is for WNYO's main RF 16 signal which is now only broadcasting a ATSC 3.0 signal.

The 49.1 that you are getting is now coming from WUTV's RF 32 signal which is listed as "Fair".

49.2 is now coming from WKBW's RF 34 signal
49.3 is now coming from WGRZ's RF 33 signal which is listed as "bad" and 2 Edge, but since you said you do get it, you might be benefitting from an unpredictable effect called knife edge diffraction where the signal is bouncing off a nearby hill.
49.4 is now coming from WNLO/WIVB's RF 36 signal

The semi-good news is that you're only in 1 edge territory for RF 36 because of that nearby hill. Since you said you lose it in winter months when the leaves fall, it might be a multipath issue that isn't as severe in the summer when the leaves are blocking the reflected signal. So it might just be a matter of finding a sweet spot to aim for that isn't directly pointed towards WNLO's tower to avoid the multipath interference.

WBBZ is likely not an option for you because of the Niagara Escarpment, and several other hills putting you in tropo territory. You might have a chance if you benefit from Knife Edge Diffraction, but that effect isn't predictable, and it can be so precise that a matter of feet (or metres) could be the difference between solid reception and no reception at all.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have multiple TV's and DVRs in use. So I have each 91XG fed into its own splitter. I have used Winegard LNA100 pre-amps as well, but there are overload issues. I am running an HDHomerun, from one of the 91XG's and it is receiving all Buffalo stations/subs - there is no amplifier in use with the HDHomerun. My comment about "looking" straight into the CN Tower, is that the overload is horrific from the Toronto stations and the Buffalo stations which are at 85, 87 and 90 miles respectively (WGRZ, WKBW, WIVB/NLO) are receivable even though their signals are many db lower than CN Tower. Unfortunately where I am situated, the Buffalo stations (2,4,7) transmitters are directly in line with the CN Tower. Grand Island is a little further east. If you have the ability to aim at the buffalo transmitters and are not dead-on the CN Tower, or at least more than 3 km from the CN Tower, you may be very successful. I have also added 6db attenuators on some TV's, simply to counter the overload from the CN Tower, and that has worked. The stations that were impacted most using the 6db attenuators were WIVB/WNLO. But that's a factor of being so close to the CN Tower. One other thing, the attenuators sell for a package of 2 for around $14 on Amazon. Worth experimenting with. I am using an RCA rotor. Not the best, but affordable and it was available at the time. It has been reliable through 2 or 3 winters. I have multiple AR15 and HAM-M rotors which need refurbishing - they are around 60 years old. But that's a project for retirement. They are workhorses, and one was up on a tower for decades with a 5' parabolic UHF antenna and a large VHF array. So, I'm pleased with the RCA - good bang for the buck.
Wow, that sounds like an amazing set up. Thank you so much for your feedback. I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Pay attention to the RF numbers in that list. That "Poor" entry for 49.1 is for WNYO's main RF 16 signal which is now only broadcasting a ATSC 3.0 signal.

The 49.1 that you are getting is now coming from WUTV's RF 32 signal which is listed as "Fair".

49.2 is now coming from WKBW's RF 34 signal
49.3 is now coming from WGRZ's RF 33 signal which is listed as "bad" and 2 Edge, but since you said you do get it, you might be benefitting from an unpredictable effect called knife edge diffraction where the signal is bouncing off a nearby hill.
49.4 is now coming from WNLO/WIVB's RF 36 signal

The semi-good news is that you're only in 1 edge territory for RF 36 because of that nearby hill. Since you said you lose it in winter months when the leaves fall, it might be a multipath issue that isn't as severe in the summer when the leaves are blocking the reflected signal. So it might just be a matter of finding a sweet spot to aim for that isn't directly pointed towards WNLO's tower to avoid the multipath interference.

WBBZ is likely not an option for you because of the Niagara Escarpment, and several other hills putting you in tropo territory. You might have a chance if you benefit from Knife Edge Diffraction, but that effect isn't predictable, and it can be so precise that a matter of feet (or metres) could be the difference between solid reception and no reception at all.
Thank you for your information. Very informative. I think I will get a new antenna and try to play around with the direction. Maybe even for for a rotor.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Just because Rabbitears shows that a station is “Tropo” doesn’t mean you can’t get it. A prime example is with Rochester stations for me. I have my db8e positioned just perfectly in my attic. It has to be so precise that even a bump of 6 inches can destroy the signal. Seriously. As long as your signal margin is above 0 you should be good. Occasionally the signal may drop out for a few seconds (no lower than 11.5dB), sometimes repeating that for a few hours. I’m guessing it’s stations on the same RF channel during Tropo events. Other than that, I never lose the stations.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just because Rabbitears shows that a station is “Tropo” doesn’t mean you can’t get it. A prime example is with Rochester stations for me. I have my db8e positioned just perfectly in my attic. It has to be so precise that even a bump of 6 inches can destroy the signal. Seriously. As long as your signal margin is above 0 you should be good. Occasionally the signal may drop out for a few seconds (no lower than 11.5dB), sometimes repeating that for a few hours. I’m guessing it’s stations on the same RF channel during Tropo events. Other than that, I never lose the stations. View attachment 3116142
How do you like the DB8e? I was thinking of getting one for the roof but I read mixed reviews. Not sure what to get.

·
Registered
54 Posts
How do you like the DB8e? I was thinking of getting one for the roof but I read mixed reviews. Not sure what to get.
I like it. I combine the two sections with the Televes T-Force dual input amplifier. I’ve noticed that there is some loss if you use the included combiner. It’s only meant for UHF and it’s the best UHF antenna I’ve had (and I have 7 antennas). The Xtreme Signal UHF HDB91X is very good as well, but not as good as the db8e. If you want to get the db8e, wait until they have a sale. You could save a decent amount.

If anyone in the forum knows of other UHF antennas that perform well, let me know. The db8e is fantastic but it would be nice to not have occasional breakups, without having to install the antenna outside.

·
Registered
428 Posts
If you go to the Channel Master and Winegard websites, you can peruse all the antennas they have available. Their products tend to get high marks with users (including me). Since there are no TV stations near you transmitting on VHF-Lo (RF channels 2-6), you won't need any antenna with large elements. You can concentrate on the antennas made for VHF-Hi & UHF. BTW, CM also manufactures a rotor.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Has anyone with a 3.0 tuner experienced intermittent drop outs for a few seconds on RF16? Signal quality on my HDHomerun stays at 100% and will drop to 0-10% for a few seconds. Never had/have this problem with 1.0 stations (shown below)

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm seeing reports of CKVP having a much stronger signal now, maybe its been fixed? Anyone else?
I can no longer get CHEX-2 Oshawa on RF29 as of this morning. CKVP is now coming in at 100% signal quality in Niagara County. I’d say it’s fixed.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Can you get CHEX 12 from your location? They will soon have CKWS Kingston as a sub channel
Yes. For over a year, I have gotten CHEX 12.1 (RF12) Global Peterborough at great signal levels. I’m 82 miles Line of sight over the lake. Just recently I am barely getting it in. I wonder if they’re at a reduced power. The other CHEX 22.1 on RF29 (Oshawa/Durham) I am no longer getting as soon as CKVP went full power.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi, long time lurker but first time poster.

I'm in North York, Toronto (properly pronounced Trawnna, y'see?). Six or seven years ago I lived on the 18th floor and got the full suite of Buffalo channels with one of those crummy square RCA indoor antennas but when I moved (much) closer to the ground I only got the basic CBC/CTV (sometimes) so went with cable.

After a protracted dispute with Rogers over their terrible service that never works and ever rising costs for less and less channels, I cut the cord (again) and put the antenna back up. None of the Buffalo channels came in and I didn't expect them to - but it got me Hockey Night in Canada so that's all I needed it for.

Then I got a new TV and re-scanned. And boom. WUTV came in. On the ground floor. Put it on the 2nd floor by a window, and WNED came in too, as did ION, but barely. Come to find out on here and rabbitears all about remapping, so I had been oblivious that everything had moved and just assumed they didn't come in at my new place. Re-scan on the top floor by a window also revealed new locations for local channels CITY-DT, CIII-DT, and the two OMNI networks.

Given the limitations of the RCA, I found a GE 32647 on surplus/clearance at Princess Auto for $12 and mounted it in my attic pointed exactly at the South Buffalo stations per my RabbitEars.info map. I've played with the alignment and angles and I pretty much have it in the best spot now.

I am using the amplifier from the old indoor RCA plastic square antenna, which is made out of RG59 not RG6. Without that, I only get the 8 CN Tower stations, but with the RCA amp, I get CHCH, CITS (though I seem to be getting a lot of multi path or something on RF14 as the signal is strong but will intermittently cut out to zero), WUTV, WNED, WPXJ, and 95% of the time WGRZ. WKBW is at best 50% of the time and WNLO/WIBV on RF36 is rare - maybe 20% of the time, if that.

My question is simple. I know this GE is junk - I paid $12 for it, after all. I also know I'm using the amplifier for an RCA indoor antenna which is probably not optimal. I love that I'm getting free TV for such little expense, but, seeking expert opinion here, how bad is this thing (pictured above), and how "not recommended" is using the amp from that old RCA?

If I am getting WKBW & WNLO/WIVB "sometimes" with this thing, with a good attic antenna (I am not able to go with an outdoor for various reasons I won't get into), and an actual proper amp, would I reasonably expect to get both? Its annoying not having CBS/CW & ABC reliably, but I don't want to outlay real cash if it's not going to help. Also what would the best bang for my buck be to try and improve these two channels?

Thank you!

·
Registered
44 Posts
With an old Mohu Leaf, an LTE filter, and being on the third floor facing north. I am pretty close to the lake though and Guildwood GO, to give those who know the area a better idea of the topography. I tend to get a good bounce off of the building behind the one I live in out in very east Scarborough. I get NBC 2, CBS 4, ABC 7, WNED 17, CW 23, WUTV 29, MyTV 49, and ION 51 with all of their sub channels. It's kind of off to see LAFF and CourtTV as ION sub-channels now with CourtTV still also available as a CBS sub-channel and LAFF still also being listed under ABC as a sub-channel as well. My Moho Leaf comes into a dual-tuner Hauppauge TV tuner I bought back when I bought the Shield in early 2018.

8361 - 8380 of 8428 Posts